advertisement

Any Trichord Dino 2 owners ?

silviffer

pfm Member
Hello to all,
Although I've been following this site for about a year this is my 1st post. Ive certainly learnt a lot from these forums but its also very obvious theres an unbeleivable amount of technical stuff (probably basic to you) I have yet to understand . I'm also very much in awe of some of your systems ! It would be fascinating to know what they sound like and see just how far I have to go, but I gather that is the danger of always wanting to know what is next or better !?
My system has been built up over the last year and so far I'm happy with the direction.
I have a Rega RP3/TTPSU playing thro a Trichord Dino 2 phono . I have small budget left this month and was considering adding the Dino+ PSU. Would any of you who are familiar with Trichord consider this a noticable upgrade for the money or would I be better swapping the Elys2 cartridge for an Exact. Have you used the Dino with and without the PSU ? Does it make improvements ? (Couldn't run to the Never Connected version unless I could source 2nd hand) .Just wondered which would give a bigger bang for the buck, so to speak.

Your thoughts, observations and opinions gratefully recieved, . . . .. . I think ! :)

Regards.

IMO the Dino2 gives 95% of itself with the wallwart. I have the Dino+. However, I have never tried the NCPSU.

You could get the op amp upgrade from Chevron Audio only £70
Trichord Dino Phono Preamplifier Upgrade - I was given a Dino2 to repair with Burson Opamps fitted in place of the standard output opamps. The problem was just with dip-switch settings. I was impressed with the sound quality using my Denon DL-304 MC cartridge. The Dino2 with burson opamps was not far behind my VacuumState FVP5 phono preamp which is a very high performance valve unit designed by the late Allen Wright.

I was also given a Dino1 to upgrade so evaluated various options for the upgrade. The final upgrade consisted of replacing SSM2019’s for THAT1510’s (as used in Dino2), replacing Output opamps (AD744 with discrete class A stage) with LME49710HA’s with class A bias and DC servo, replacing power supply opamps with LT1128. This Dino now sounds better than the Dino2 with burson opamp.

Cost of upgrade for a Dino1 - £170 or for a Dino2 - £70 (Dino2 is just an output opamp change).
http://www.chevronaudio.co.uk

When I got my Dino MkI ages ago I found that adding the Dino+ supply made it sound more refined, but certainly not by that much.

I would look at a better cartridge. Know then that the Dino was actually optimised for use with MCs, and not MMs. Its (minimum) gain is on the high side for MMs (and IIRC Rega cartridges are bloody loud on their own!), and the input amplifier noise signature prefers low cartridge impedances, i.e. MC. High output of low output doesn't matter.

Werner wrote-

I found that adding the Dino+ supply made it sound more refined, but certainly not by that much

I bought my Dino off a chap who used it with a Dino+PS. His view was that the + isn't in the same league as the NCPS so I waited until I could afford to jump straight from the wallwart to the NCPS and don't regret it.

Since the Rega doesn't lend itself to cartridge swapping I would be inclined to keep the Elys until it needs changing rather than have it gather dust in a drawer, and save up for the NCPS.
Jim

Many thanks to all who replied but not sure where that leaves me. Guess thats the fun of forums, . . . having differing opinions. Its obviously not clear cut.
. . . . maybe some new speakers . . . !?

Since the Rega doesn't lend itself to cartridge swapping I would be inclined to keep the Elys until it needs changing rather than have it gather dust in a drawer

Agreed! Can't help with the Dino+ difference, as mine "came with the Dino".

I personally think the whole 'power supply transformation' thing is a bit overstated with all hifi. I remember adding a hicap to my Naim 72/140 and being a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps its got more to do with local power supply? I might just have a clean and quiet supply...

Put it this way, 20x new LPs will sound better than a new power supply!

I personally think the whole 'power supply transformation' thing is a bit overstated with all hifi. I remember adding a hicap to my Naim 72/140 and being a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps its got more to do with local power supply? I might just have a clean and quiet supply...

Put it this way, 20x new LPs will sound better than a new power supply!

As you say, I think that probably depends on your mains. Ours must be sh*t (rural, long distances overhead), because an Isol-8 axis has really made a huge difference to my system; even the projector picture looks (not just a bit) better after I stuck an Isol-8 video mains filter on it. The only way is to try.

I will say the NCPSU makes a significant difference to the Dino, it becomes a very capable phono stage and dead quiet, I enjoyed mine for quite some time.

As for PSUs in general, I can only speak to Naim, but again the difference is quite pronounced.

Whether that money is better spent on new music is an entirely different question but new music is always a good thing in my book.

My own Dino mk2 runs off a DIY upgrade power supply which I guess is about equivalent to the Dino+. I felt it made a worthwhile improvement but the improvement wasn't massive.

Before you spend money on more hardware have you made sure the existing set-up is fully optimised? Getting the tracking force, cartridge alignment etc perfectly set can bring big benefits for next to nothing. I find that good protractor, a stylus tracking force gauge, a test LP and a good carbon brush are all essential bits of kit. ;)

advertisement

Back