advertisement

Any Parker 51 owners?

PaulMB

pfm Member
A few weeks ago, just by chance, acquired a mid-fifties Parker 51. I now have 5 of them and am delighted not only by how they write, but how simple it is to take them apart and "service" them. Surely one of the great triumphs of simple, rock-solid engineering, a bit like a VW bug. I seem to remember a discussion of them here a few years ago. But I will try to avoid becoming an ink-stained pen nerd.

I live near Newhaven where the Parker Pens factory used to be. I recall seeing something online about a history project about the factory and the people who worked there until it closed. My mum worked there as a computer programmer for a couple of years and I did get given a few Parker pens as a teen. Can't remember which models they were though.

I have a small collection of 25s. Nothing special as a pen but I just love the 70s aesthetic, reminiscent of the Westminster typeface. My best one writes beautifully - as nicely as anything.

I used to correspond with a lady called Bunty Oram at Newhaven. She kept me in turquoise cartridges through the last quarter of the 20th century.

My Dad gave me a 51 for passing my 11 plus, I still have it. Took it to a place in Oxford to be serviced but it still pools a bit. Pity, it was a great pen, wrote beautifully (as well as it can with my cack-handed writing) and I wish I could find a good repair agent. I inherited his Schaeffer PFM 3, Montblanc Meierstück 714 (?) and Duofold Maxima. The Duofold is lovely.
I recall my Dad buying a 25 for my daughter, iirc it and was very nice to write with also.

I've my Grandfather's '51'; it's an utterly beautiful thing: to pens, what this was to fairly contemporary locomotive design; in fact 'mine' is pretty much the same colour : )

I still need to get the nib changed to enjoy using it myself though. I might well do just that.

I started using a fountain pen again during lockdown (I rediscovered my old school 45, and a Falcon 50 which I bought later but never used much). I discovered the pleasure of using a fountain nib all over again, it writes so much more nicely than even my favourite ball point. The Falcon writes beautifully, the nib really seems to suit me. I also still use that 45 from my school days. It had a medium nib which, when I started using it again, felt too thick compared to the Falcon so I bought a finer nib on eBay which hasn’t yet worn in to my style.

I use Quink blue-black nowadays, used to use blue but find that a little bright for my preference now. Any other recommendations for ink, as I’m going to need a new bottle soon?

Cross ink is decent.

i also have a nice bottle of ink that I bought in Tokyo (not much use as advice though!) 😀

Obviously my handwriting will still look like a spider on ketamine has staggered across the page.
Funny, that was more or less how a science teacher in secondary school once described my writing (his was "drunk spider"). "Do you think my writing's getting worse?" I asked Mrs. Tones a while back. "No," she replied, "it's always been that bad."

At school we were obliged to use fountain pens, after an apprenticeship with dip-pens. "Biros" were the work of Satan, and would have irreparably debauched both handwriting and character. But we could choose to buy only an Osmiroid or a Platignum. This was to avoid rich kids flaunting gold Parkers or Shaeffers.
I believe in German schools fountains are still compulsory.

Don't think any pen however nice would improve my dreadful writing. It has been described as a "hen's scratins in the midden".
I used to use a Parker fountain pen back in the day but to be honest I don't write enough by hand these days be worthwhile using one.

I always liked the idea of them and indeed had several, but unfortunately being left handed, they never seemed to work for me even a left nibbed version.

If it's something you're going to use a lot, it's worth treating yourself. I've been using Parker Sonnets all day, everyday for over 30 years, I write about 10 sides of A4 clinical notes. 2-3 times a week. They're a good quality utilitarian pen; not dirt cheap but not tragically expensive if I lose one, as I'vedone twice. I have four on the go, as it's hard to resist if I see one for a reasonable price. There seem to be a lot of unused gifts and NOS older models on ebay.

My handwriting is and has always been awful, but much worse, borderline illegible even to me with a biro. I think the weight of the pen and the friction of the nib help dampen out some of my scruffiness. After lots of experiments, medium SS nibs suit me best.

I'll have an accident every couple of years, where I drop one and bugger the nib. Ive noticed that genuine placements nibs are getting harder to get though; ebay is rife with knock-off ones that don't flow or are horribly scratchy. If anyone can recommend a decent online shop...

A few weeks ago, just by chance, acquired a mid-fifties Parker 51. I now have 5 of them and am delighted not only by how they write, but how simple it is to take them apart and "service" them. Surely one of the great triumphs of simple, rock-solid engineering, a bit like a VW bug. I seem to remember a discussion of them here a few years ago. But I will try to avoid becoming an ink-stained pen nerd.
I now have an irrational need to aquire some 51s and compare them to Sonnets.

I now have an irrational need to aquire some 51s and compare them to Sonnets.
Yes, it is funny how one latches on to irrational needs. I suppose having a need gives one a purpose. Presumably an aspect of human nature that is the basis of consumerism.
I've always used fountain pens, have always had one on my table next to the computer, with bits of paper on which to take notes. A few years ago treated myself to a brand new Pelikan M600, and used that every day for years. Now I've flushed it out and put it aside and using the newly acquired P51. Some will think I am mad, but writing with ink gives me pleasure. I've even started writing messages with pen and paper, photographing them and sending them by WhatsApp.

advertisement

Back