advertisement

Any love for MX5’s?

Yes. I was smiling at your expression. It's of course completely idiotic having a car like that. Even more idiotic that it's legal in my part of the world. But, in todays Sweden, 15 year young can drive a car. Legally.
I think you’re missing the point I’m making. Instead of coil springs, the car will have had suitable airbags fitted. These can be completely deflated, as in your photo of the bmw, or inflated to allow the car to be driven.

I think you’re missing the point I’m making. Instead of coil springs, the car will have had suitable airbags fitted. These can be completely deflated, as in your photo of the bmw, or inflated to allow the car to be driven.

Or you can try this:

I am very diappointed that the owner of that BMW has only done half a job. One should simply not slam and then not smoove the doors.

I remember reading an interview with a well known motoring journalist. He said people were always asking him about the most fun car he's driven, expecting to hear an exotic supercar name-checked but his answer was usually: "MX 5"

I remember reading an interview with a well known motoring journalist. He said people were always asking him about the most fun car he's driven, expecting to hear an exotic supercar name-checked but his answer was usually: "MX 5"
Mine was fun but a Caterham 7 was a million miles more fun. A 2CV was also fun, in a different way. Also fun, various warm to hot hatches and Minis.

My most fun cars in order of 'funnest' would be:

1) MX-5
2) Modded Mini 1000
3) A tie between the MR-2 (original) and Alfasud Ti

Mind you the 2 door Jeep Cherokee off road was pretty fun as well.

1) MX-5
2) Modded Mini 1000

Ha!

The Elise’s are top of the cars I’ve
owned, have driven them but not owned a Caterham, they were a lot of fun (have an award somewhere for winning a Sprint at Bedford!).

I’d put the MX5 above my Cerbera 4.5. That was a crazy thing, but I would honestly say the ND MX5 is the more engaging car, a beautifully balanced chassis along with the perfect gearshift mated to a sweet and free revving engine.

Update: first breakdown!

Window is stuck down, apparently the regulators on the ND are made of cheese.

Luckily a company does a much better than OEM one with a five year warranty so have just ordered one:

Not covered by your dealer warranty?
As a point of order, this isn't a breakdown, because it's still drivable. It's a fault, not a breakdown.

Update: first breakdown!

Window is stuck down, apparently the regulators on the ND are made of cheese.

Luckily a company does a much better than OEM one with a five year warranty so have just ordered one:

That's encouraging. Before I hit 70 it'd be nice to own another sportscar. My Midget was a joy, the V8 BGT a bit boring. Older Morgans are lovely but the steering feel is a bit lacking, nice B roadsters are always a hoot, C's great too (esp with triple webers and some head work) Caterhams are wonderful but useless if you want to pack anything.
I lhave ove many Citroens but have recently weaned myself off them. Citroen have already ceased production of bits for the (proper)C5 which was last made in 2016 the window regs had been a known problem for a few years.
I am torn between a 20 ish yo Morgan, an MG roadster, a proper Elan (if we can still get in and out), a TVR V8s/Chimaera or the sensible (if likely to depreciate more) MX5. TRs 5 and and earlier are nice but less comfortable imo.

That's encouraging. Before I hit 70 it'd be nice to own another sportscar. My Midget was a joy, the V8 BGT a bit boring. Older Morgans are lovely but the steering feel is a bit lacking, nice B roadsters are always a hoot, C's great too (esp with triple webers and some head work) Caterhams are wonderful but useless if you want to pack anything.
I lhave ove many Citroens but have recently weaned myself off them. Citroen have already ceased production of bits for the (proper)C5 which was last made in 2016 the window regs had been a known problem for a few years.
I am torn between a 20 ish yo Morgan, an MG roadster, a proper Elan (if we can still get in and out), a TVR V8s/Chimaera or the sensible (if likely to depreciate more) MX5. TRs 5 and and earlier are nice but less comfortable imo.
I've had a few classic cars and unless you want to spend more time repairing than driving, or you are happy to pay a man, then buy modern. A modern MX5 will cost you a few thousand pounds and will depreciate, but your running costs will be minimal. Old cars will *always* want some kind of repair if you use them more than half a dozen weekends a year, even if you buy a good one to start with.
A 20 year old TVR or Morgan might be a midway between the two, or not. Certainly Caterhams get a bit dogeared after 10-15 years, even if garaged and well maintained. Don't forget that Morgans still have the chassis of a garden shed and fear woodworm, and they need a front suspension rebuild every 20k miles. That's strip down, remove bronze bushes, replace with new, ream to fit, reassemble, regrease, do the other side and do it all again in a couple of years. Quite involved, a couple of hours a side I think. I'd prefer modern stuff with rubber bushes that last 100k+ miles and take half an hour to unscrew, throw away, replace £30 arm , reassemble.

Yes, I remember grovelling under my MGs every couple of weeks with a grease gun! I was also hoping that someone might've come up with a modification for Morgans to give them some feel in the steering as well as make it more serviceable.

Yes, I remember grovelling under my MGs every couple of weeks with a grease gun! I was also hoping that someone might've come up with a modification for Morgans to give them some feel in the steering as well as make it more serviceable.
Ah yes, the joy of trunnions. Triumphs always had them, as did Caterhams until the 90s.You had to use gear oil in a grease gun. If you used grease it went hard and they wore more quickly. The oil however leaked out, if not replaced they can dry and... wore out quickly. I developed a ruse where I would use grease and oil alternately so it stayed wet but didn't leak. It might have worked. There were other grease points, I don't miss the crawling round lubing them every 3 months.

Hence I was under mine every fortnight or so!
Bother! Those thoughts are putting me off older sports cars but the narrow tyres and slowness and really analogue dashes appeal. I'm no racer but being able to enjoy and exploit the ability to slide or shuffle the back axle is compelling. I think the MGOC offer some (expensive) upgrades so will explore before narrowing the search.

1) MX-5
2) Modded Mini 1000

An 1998 MX5 was my highest 'fun to drive ' ratio car as it was my first open top sports car. Nothing will ever beat that first, sunny summer in that car. It also included my first visit to a famous German race track.

advertisement

Back