advertisement

Any love for MX5’s?

I can't comment on the prior generation but I just love my 2020 MX-5 RF, it's a blast to drive even without being super quick by today's standards, but get it on a twisty road, give it some wellie and it really comes alive. I did put somewhat stiffer and lower springs and stiffer anti roll bars though to eliminate the rather excessive body roll.

This was the senior project of one of my wife's high school students. I'm not sure what it has to do with education.

miata.png

I don't know if that's good value or not but sometimes you see the right thing at the right time and you just have to stump up and live, don't you? It's never that long before it's water under the bridge, and it still retains some value, plus of course the fun you've had with it.

It's car I've never driven and often thought about buying a cheap one to have some fun with. Sadly I think my head would be about 2 inches above the screen and I've achieved the indignity of finding it easier to get into a normal car bum-first. I reckon an Mx-5 is a no-no for me these days!

Bilsteins and an LSD? Sounds ripe for some tuning. BBR turbo?

Apparently taller people fit in NC’s! The n/a kits look interesting, up to 225 from BBR.

I like them but recently went for an MR2 with the MX5 a contender. I see too many of them, that's the only reason I went for the MR2. No doubt this generation of MX5 is a better car, but I love the look of the MR2.

Oh, and I did have a 1990 BBR turbo, so the MX5 box is ticked really.
I bought a Mk3 MR2 for my wife. Nice car, this I guess has a few more creature comforts and a normal boot!

Apparently taller people fit in NC’s! The n/a kits look interesting, up to 225 from BBR.
If I had one, and wanted 'more' - that's the kind of route I'd go.
You'll work harder, to find the opportunities, and to exploit the engine's top-end revs, and - that is my predilection, by far. Always has been - it's all about Engagement - not, 'Speed', not 'Fast' - more about fizzy fun.

But as I wrote earlier - 'big power' alone never-is very interesting, and it as a pursuit alone will readily ruin the Whole.

This was the senior project of one of my wife's high school students. I'm not sure what it has to do with education.

miata.png
Someone in our neighborhood actually modded one to do off road racing / rallying. It was lifted and had a solid roll cage, not sure what else. I guess if you could rally a TR7 then an MX-5 is possible!

I've had a couple - late Mk1 and a 2008 NC which I bought with only a few thousand miles on it, kept it for two years, and loved every mile in both. Never had any expensive issues (though I suspect the newer one needed some front suspension work by the time I traded it). I thought I wanted a Boxster before I bought the NC but the MX5 (2.0l Roadster with the suspension lowered just enough not to offend) was always fun, always eager and felt alive at road-legal speeds, and none of the Boxsters I've driven or been in felt engaging to drive until you were heading into problematic speeds. I am fairly sure the Mazda's cost me much less to own than any Porsche ever would.

Worryingly, I now have space on the drive for a second car...

My wife had three - all owned from new. One Mk1s and two Mk 2.5s. They are huge fun - we have so many great European trips in those cars.
The Mk1 is the one we remember with most fondness.

Last edited:
If I had one, and wanted 'more' - that's the kind of route I'd go.
You'll work harder, to find the opportunities, and to exploit the engine's top-end revs, and - that is my predilection, by far. Always has been - it's all about Engagement - not, 'Speed', not 'Fast' - more about fizzy fun.

But as I wrote earlier - 'big power' alone never-is very interesting, and it as a pursuit alone will readily ruin the Whole.
Having had an Elise with a 1.8t 20v I am inclined to agree. 260bhp/280lb in my view corrupted the balance of the car. It was quite exciting though!

This is just a cheap bit of fun and I think for the price jolly good value given its overall practicality.

Having had an Elise with a 1.8t 20v I am inclined to agree. 260bhp/280lb in my view corrupted the balance of the car. It was quite exciting though!

This is just a cheap bit of fun and I think for the price jolly good value given its overall practicality.
There's a lot to be said for "less is more" with sports cars. It's very easy to go for "moar powaarrrr!" and end up with something that isn't any more fun, costs more and consumes more fuel. This is certainly the case for a commuter, a lot of the time you will be in top gear at 60 or 70 and looking at the car in front.

After my Honda DC2 I’d agree a good handling car with ‘enough’ grip and power to have fun at sensible speeds is a very nice thing. About 250bhp/tonne with some poise and handling allows you to wring the neck of the car (the DC2 was amazing if you could keep the engine about 6k rpm) without things getting too silly.

If I could get into an mx5 I’d be looking at a lightly tuned engine on throttlebodies and a rorty exhaust, the chassis would get a little bracing and better suspension (AST), bushings. I think that could be amazing fun without costing much.

The Toyota GT86 is good fun if you can get a go in one. Roof doesn’t come down though.

After my Honda DC2 I’d agree a good handling car with ‘enough’ grip and power to have fun at sensible speeds is a very nice thing. About 250bhp/tonne with some poise and handling allows you to wring the neck of the car (the DC2 was amazing if you could keep the engine about 6k rpm) without things getting too silly.

If I could get into an mx5 I’d be looking at a lightly tuned engine on throttlebodies and a rorty exhaust, the chassis would get a little bracing and better suspension (AST), bushings. I think that could be amazing fun without costing much.

The Toyota GT86 is good fun if you can get a go in one. Roof doesn’t come down though.

Talking of GT86’s:

I've had a couple - late Mk1 and a 2008 NC which I bought with only a few thousand miles on it, kept it for two years, and loved every mile in both. Never had any expensive issues (though I suspect the newer one needed some front suspension work by the time I traded it). I thought I wanted a Boxster before I bought the NC but the MX5 (2.0l Roadster with the suspension lowered just enough not to offend) was always fun, always eager and felt alive at road-legal speeds, and none of the Boxsters I've driven or been in felt engaging to drive until you were heading into problematic speeds. I am fairly sure the Mazda's cost me much less to own than any Porsche ever would.

Worryingly, I now have space on the drive for a second car...
That’s really good to know! I drove a 986S of Eoin’s and while it was very nicely screwed together and the engine felt strong, I thought it was also a bit soulless.

Mum had a Mk2.5 1.8 for quite a few years so drove that a bit, I think they've always cried out for a bit more poke, not necessarily several hundred bhp but certainly a nice uplift. Not keen on the NC, I think I'd go for a launch edition RF with the nice BBS wheels and Recaros with either a N/A BBR kit or a supercharger, nothing crazy but enough to make it interesting.

Yes - but a MX5 is going to be fun at any speed ( a demented* one, maybe not-so) - whereas any Boxster doesn't really get into the 'fun zone' until way past practical speed limits (traffic, as much as, legal).

The MX5 joy comes from a light car, that is fun from deliberately-being a hair soft-centred in an accessible way: comfy chassis, free-revving engine paired with splendid, light precise gearchange, in fact nice controls and fine feedback - but not, lots of grip, lots of power, and the tedium that too-often follows.

- oh - and utter-Mazda dependability. Use it just for everything everyday, and it will take it, and take it, and take it, and never hand you a big service bill. And then you still drive it for fun at the weekend.

And the MX5 roof -drop is a thing of joy, stay strapped-in, 1 hand, 10 seconds, done. A simple pleasure. Ditto to reverse when it starts raining.

Shit, now I want an MX5....

[edits for clarity]

* as in enough power, like the Rocketeer etc for 'demented clockwork toy on Lino' abilities. I had a go in c 250hp of turbo'd mk2. Utterly daft. and - Not actually that much fun, the turbo ruined the gestalt.

I've had an MK1.5 MX5 (the 1998 restyled MK1) and is now in a Boxster since 8 years. The MX5 is GREAT FUN at any speed, as you say. But a Boxster is so much more rewarding, also at any speed. It feels more developed in some way, a precision instrument, so to speak. When I had the MX5 I was much younger and had to induce tire squeeeeel in all corners, or it was a missed opportunity. A much older me in the Boxster grunts every time being overtaken "They are driving so fast..." (Smiley for 'old fart' missing)

And, yes, the electric roof mechanism failed on the Boxster. The simple MX5 roof is much faster and doesn't fail.

If one do the engine conversion mentioned early in this thread you can forget all about Mazda's being dependable...

Also had an MR2 MK3 mentioned in the thread. Also great fun.

I've had an MK1.5 MX5 (the 1998 restyled MK1) and is now in a Boxster since 8 years. The MX5 is GREAT FUN at any speed, as you say. But a Boxster is so much more rewarding, also at any speed. It feels more developed in some way, a precision instrument, so to speak. When I had the MX5 I was much younger and had to induce tire squeeeeel in all corners, or it was a missed opportunity. A much older me in the Boxster grunts every time being overtaken "They are driving so fast..." (Smiley for 'old fart' missing)

And, yes, the electric roof mechanism failed on the Boxster. The simple MX5 roof is much faster and doesn't fail.

If one do the engine conversion mentioned early in this thread you can forget all about Mazda's being dependable...

Also had an MR2 MK3 mentioned in the thread. Also great fun.
While I have never owned a MX-5 I have driven plenty and have owned an Elise, a Boxster and several S2000s. The most directly comparable of those three to the MX-5 is the S2000. I bought my first one when I had the Porsche. I did so as I found the Porsche a bit dull and heavy not to mention unreliable and the Porsche dealers locally were up themselves. Anyway I found the S2000 far more fun and being Japanese uber reliable. The MX-5 would be very comparable I feel. Just posting this to show how we all differ, just my opinion obviously.

PS Elise was epic on a track but difficult to live with as day to day transport.

I've had three, currently got a 2.0 mk.4 (ND) soft-top current model. Have also owned the 1.5L version of the same, and a mk2.5 2L. Got shot of it just before rust began to show!

I would recommend anyone thinking of getting a recent one (ND model since 2016) go for the 1.5L variant - its lighter, feels more nimble and you have to engage more with it and get more involved with it. Result- its just more fun! The 2L has so much more power and torque so it becomes a much lazier and hence less engaging driving experience. Sure, its better and more confident for overtaking on A-roads, but its just not so much fun.

I also had a Honda S2000 - wish I'd kept it as its value has risen markedly in last few years! But TBH its chassis is not as good as any MX-5, its a bit like a brick with wheels to drive compared to the supple and alert MX-5. The VTEC was glorious when it came on song about 4.5k revs and it felt so willing..... but you could honestly see the fuel gauge moving down at that point - lucky to get about 26-27mpg average from it overall. Whereas the current MX-5 is giving me 44mpg average, the 1.5L was only a tiny bit better at 45mpg. Also the current MX-5 2L is just as quick as the Honda S2000.

Last edited:
Car is totally standard. They sorted out the issues in 2009, fitted a LSD, lowered the car using Bilsteins, installed a front strut brace and the engine has stronger internals including a forged crank which raised the redline by 500 to 7500rpm. Prior to that, the NC model got a very like warm reception.
That's interesting about the engine. I did try an Mk3 and didn't like the engine and the obvious extra weight but it must have been before the engine changes.

I've noted early 1.5ltr MK4 are £8k...much lighter and that engine is a peach...Skyactive tech isn't just a badge

advertisement

Back