advertisement

Any Dratek Vigor users around here?

imarks

Ian Marks
Asking for a friend!

A friend of mine who's even less IT savy than me has just received an email perporting to be from Draytek with the title: MyVigor Notification: System Architecture Upgrade. In the email there are several links and she's asked to click on the links to upgrade something called 'MyVigor' and the firmware in her router (Vigor 2860).

She's worried that it's a scam email. I've had a look and a Google and I think it's probably genuine but was just wondering if any other Draytek users have received a similar email and whether or not you acted on it?

--Ian

Check the address of the links, is it https://draytek.co.uk/*something* ? If not, it's dodgy.

In any case, no need to ever update firmware by clicking links in an email.

If you do ever need to download firmware onto a computer first, always start at https://draytek.co.uk/ and search for your product.

Thanks for the reply Heckyman

The first thing I tried was to inspect the links, several are to dratek.com (non are to dratek.co.uk), some are to myvigor.dratek.com and some are to emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com. Non of the links are plain and simple, they all contain very long strings of random characters as well.

Even so, I think it is probably genuine, there isn't much on Google but what I did find wasn't totally negative.

I can't understand why Dratek wouldn'y simple send out an email asking the user to log into their router and update the firmware!

--Ian

The first thing I tried was to inspect the links, several are to dratek.com (non are to dratek.co.uk), some are to myvigor.dratek.com and some are to emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com. Non of the links are plain and simple, they all contain very long strings of random characters as well.

Even so, I think it is probably genuine, there isn't much on Google but what I did find wasn't totally negative.

I can't understand why Dratek wouldn'y simple send out an email asking the user to log into their router and update the firmware!

--Ian

All the latest resources are available to download. I've not been receiving any emails but I only use the 130 modem.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads

There is a need to upgrade firmware (I have done it on my 2927) so it is potentially genuine. Do the firmware update through the router control obviously, the link should just be to confirm that you are doing it.

Just make sure that whoever does the upgrade uses the right version of the upgrade file so they don't bin the existing settings.

As an aside, I am not sure that a Draytek, good as they are, is entirely suitable for someone at the less nerdy end of the IT spectrum...

If the links say dratek and not draytek, then it's a scam - but I suspect that's your typo!

Even so, I wouldn't click on a URL in an email from anyone, I'd go to the apparent senders website via google and take it from there.

This advice comes from an IT professional with many years experience of assuring and delivering secure IT environments.

^^ Sound advice. I have been a Draytek user for around 15 years and currently use a 2862ac thats due for a refresh to a new model soon. I only ever update the firmware if it resolves a problem I'm experiencing or provides new functionality that I need. Else if its working well leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it!

I've never had email from Draytek but then I've never registered with them to avoid marketing b/s.

Cheers,

DV

Asking for a friend!

A friend of mine who's even less IT savy than me has just received an email perporting to be from Draytek with the title: MyVigor Notification: System Architecture Upgrade. In the email there are several links and she's asked to click on the links to upgrade something called 'MyVigor' and the firmware in her router (Vigor 2860).

She's worried that it's a scam email. I've had a look and a Google and I think it's probably genuine but was just wondering if any other Draytek users have received a similar email and whether or not you acted on it?

--Ian
Does it look like the below pic?

If so it is genuine and she needs to update so her Devices using their Dynamic DNS Services or their Web Content Filter Products - DrayDDNS or GlobalView - will continue to be monitored etc.

It is the same Portal you use to register their extended Warranty packs/Web Filter packs etc. After clicking you have 48 hours to update the Firmware to correct levels.

There should be a table listing all your Routers/Devices in part 2 of the email and the minimum Version they need to be on.

--Ian
PM me if you like

It's a Portal Upgrade - End Users don't normally get involved in this it's usually us IT bods that do it for clients

WCF is a Web Content Filter Annual Sub some Businesses pay annually for - it's a blunt instrument but better than nowt, I suspect if you don't move to the new Portal/Firmware your renewal won't go through.

wcf-interface-img.jpg

Does it look like the below pic?

If so it is genuine and she needs to update so her Devices using their Dynamic DNS Services or their Web Content Filter Products - DrayDDNS or GlobalView - will continue to be monitored etc.

Thanks for the reply Amber Audio, that was exactly the infomation I was looking for. The email was exactly like the one in the picture you posted. I thought it was genuine but was not happy to tell my friend that it was until I'd checked.

I realise her IT system at home is way more sophisticated than she needs (her husband was an IT consultant working from home) but it's what is there at the moment and I'd like to keep it working in the short term until I can go around and have a good look and hopefully persuade her to simplify.

Thanks again
--Ian

advertisement

Back