advertisement

Any cassette users still enjoying the format?

allthingsanalog

pfm Member
After getting my NAK DR-3 back from B&W service I just can't stop playing tapes. Also been doing lots of recordings and playng them back is such an enjoyable experience. Been buying up good quality blanks as well.

Mods, feel free to move to 'classic' if reqd.

I used to use them religiously, I had a decent Sony ES deck and a top notch Sony Walkman and there was just something about them, definitely a warmth/ambiance that was missing from minidisc and CDs were next to usesless on the move. I’ve been tempted a few times to buy another good quality cassette deck to play with. Not sure whether I’d buy a Nakamichi or a Sony ES, I always loved the look and feel of high end Sony gear, it’s just so well finished and slick in use.

Yep, I currently own three machines. My latest is a rather nice technics rs m02. Just finished a minor refurb (caps etc) and it sounds great. Currently trying out some new old stock Maxell type ii tapes in it. I've even gone as far to purchase some new cassette albums.

Great positve reply's.

I reckon I'm going to have to look for another playback only machine to save wear and tear on the nak. Posiibly looking at an AIWA or Technics direct drive variant.

Sony TCK-A6ES here - just had a £150 refurb as the belts fell off after a period in storage - feeding a top-end Meridian digital system.

Stuck in a basic TDK tape made in the 1970s on an Amstrad (IIRC) from some budget LP deck! Sounded great with very little hiss, wow or flutter. Not much bass but the treble was OK. Could hear the LP clicks very nicely.

Worth it just so I can still listen to that long-lost gem "Hope and Anchor - Front Row Festival" which is yet to be released on CD

Yep. Sony portables are my hardware of choice.

gi.mpl

I also have a Pioneer multi-cassette changer which sounds pretty good for what it is.

I had a WM-DD33 that I bought secondhand but unused in 1998 (much to the dismay of my parents who’d bought me a Discman a few months earlier for Christmas). It was a superb piece of kit, which I still had it.

I bought another Walkman after that (WM-EX674) because it had auto reverse, that was also a very cool piece of kit if not on the level of the DD player, sadly, that suffered a mechanical failure.

I’d love a WM-DD9 but those command serious money, I could get a nice LP12 with a Nima arm and a decent cartridge for the money they go for.

I have several machines I use from time to time for the sake of it - Nakamichi CR-4, Beocord 9000, Technics RS-M275X, plus a few others. They do sound great for what they are, antique hi-fi technology full of cogs, wheels and belts.
I have lots of cassettes, some new and sealed.
I also love DCC, great machines that arrived too late.

I have some very good cassette machines but never use them and thought the end of cassette a long overdue and very good thing! They are not hi fi other than a very few machines which get somewhere near...

advertisement

Back