advertisement

Antony Gormley Sounds of the Studio

poco a poco

I'm Jim
I picked this vinyl record up when I went to see Antony Gormley's exhibition at the Royal Acadamy this week. Not really music, but a fascinating soundscape, a sonic abstraction of the sounds created in Gormlely's studio when fabricating his sculptures.

A 1950's RCA KU-3A vintage ribbon microphone was position at the centre of the studio to pickup the sounds of Gromley's works being created. Taped on a Studer C37 tape machine with a full face mono block head. The LP was mastered at Gearbox records with a Haeco Scully lathe using all tube equipment.

It is mono, but still has amazing depth and scale information. Some very low, but not high level bass sounds and scary transients. Ghostly voices wander the soundscape. I don't suppose I will be playing it often, but it is enjoyable in a strange sort of way. A Sculpture in Sound?

Interesting stuff. Reminds me of those swedish jazz recordings (was it OPUS?) that were more about the recording and ambience than jazz I thought. How was the exhibition?

Interesting stuff. Reminds me of those swedish jazz recordings (was it OPUS?) that were more about the recording and ambience than jazz I thought. How was the exhibition?

Perhaps a bit more like some of Basil Kirchin's recordings, but to a higher recording / mastering standard.

I thought it was an excellent exhibition covering many of the major aspects of his sculpture works (some special installations for the galleries) backed up by many of his drawings. Unfortunately very crowded. That worked in a couple of rooms were you appreciate the effect of sculptured figures against human figures. In other galleries I thought to fully appreciate the work you needed more isolation of the installation.

I can see that yes. I recall seeing 'field for britain' twice. Once at the Yorkshire sculpture park on a School Art trip...too many people, and later at smaller venue in Somerset, when we were the only people there. The silence of 10,000 watching eyes looking at me was so eerie I never forgot it. Powerful interactions that like that need to be personal I think. I always Gormley was a very introspective and somehow sad man, and that was always a theme in his work. Isolation in a crowd maybe. Anyway, thanks for post.

advertisement

Back