advertisement

Anti-skate or What Am I Doing Wrong?

Set AS to the same as tracking weight , listen through headphones and reduce anti skate till you get a nice solid central vocal/image .

And don't over think it , it's not an exact science :) .
Like it. A novel approach, though AS should never be the same as the VTF i.m.o., except in exceptional circumstances I can't think of !

It's interesting that tonearm manufacturers often recommend setting the antiskate to the same value as the tracking weight, yet here the general rule of thumb is about 2/3rds. I also find 2/3rds works for me.

My guide to setting antiskate is to listen for a similar frequency response in both channels (or conversely, a similar amount of distortion). It's a bit of a crap shoot anyway because as I understand, the necessary antiskate force will vary throughout the record. So, you are aiming for an 'average' value that sort of works for the entirety of the record (a bit like cartridge alignment).

PS FWIW I almost always end up on the manufacturers mid-point or just a hair above, e.g. if the recommended tracking weight is 1.8-2.2g chances are I’ll end up somewhere between 2.0 and 2.1g.
Did you mean 1.0 and 1.1g Tony as mid-point or did I misunderstand?

Did you mean 1.0 and 1.1g Tony as mid-point or did I misunderstand?
I think Tony is talking strictly about tracking force here. He means the mid point between 1.8 and 2.2, so he would set tracking force to 2.0 or 2.1. The anti skate would then end up about 2/3 of the tracking force, about 1.3-1.4.

advertisement

Back