advertisement

Another Timbre

Yes I’ve heard first half hour or so of the original recording now, and the sound is not great - though it does feel like a glimpse into a fabulous live event. I wonder if you’ll think the Another Timbre performance is too tame. One thing I learned today: this music is better if played loud.

If I listened to more music like this would I be happier?! I mean, not many dissonances. I just find pulse driven American minimalism starts to annoy me after a while - Eastman, Reich . . . I don’t like predictable rhythm.

Anyone managed to get their heads/hearts/souls around the music on this one?

spit-velata.jpg

https://www.philip-thomas.co.uk/martin-arnold-the-spit-velata/

Latest update just arrived. Some beautiful and rather accessible stuff (IMO), there are interviews with the artists and also further tracks available, so have a hunt around if anything hits the spot -

Oliver Leith’s first recording, called Good Day Bad Day, is good fun. A bit like Badamenti style Twin Peaks music with a bit of percussion added for extra edge, so it doesn’t sound too pompous. Surprisingly effective and it produces a cool ambience. I’m slightly tempted by the new one, at least, I’d quite like to hear it.

James Weeks is one of my favourite composers, so at some point I’m sure I’ll get Summer, maybe this summer in fact! Linda Catlin Smith and Barbara Monk Feldman are both Feldman/Cage rip off artists IMO - but it could be fun to hear what they are up to.

Latest update just arrived. Some beautiful and rather accessible stuff (IMO), there are interviews with the artists and also further tracks available, so have a hunt around if anything hits the spot -

Disappointed

Rather impressed.

I could quite happily listen to and enjoy any of them, but only in a "I certainly wouldn't switch it off" sense.
The fact that they are CD only releases just means that they simply would not get played if I was to buy them.

The James Weeks track is interesting, but doesn't progress or evolve, or not enough so for me anyway.

Woah thanks, just ordered the cd box set as well as the Two2 double-disc set.

My copy's arrived this morning. I feel a bit divided about the box. On the one hand it's obviously good to have new performances. On the other hand, these have been dubbed. And I kind of wish someone would do a box of complete number pieces.

That being said, I'm not sure that "number pieces" are a genre -- just a sort of title.

(I feel slightly negative about Apartment House at the moment because of their Femenine (Eastman), which is just too British and gentlemanly for me. Hopefully this won't suffer from the same traits.)

Last edited:
My copy's arrived this morning. I feel a bit divided about the box. On the one hand it's obviously good to have new performances. On the other hand, these have been dubbed. And I kind of wish someone would do a box of complete number pieces.

That being said, I'm not sure that "number pieces" are a genre -- just a sort of title.

(I feel slightly negative about Apartment House at the moment because of their Femenine (Eastman), which is just too British and gentlemanly for me. Hopefully this won't suffer from the same traits.)

I was wrong I’m pleased to say, it is outstanding.

Apart from creating the most lush sexy scrunchy harmonies, and unexpected fascinating textures, they make the music sound alive, not still or meditative, but pulsating with energy. At least in the first half dozen tracks.

Resurrecting this as an encouragement to Fishies to listen outside of their comfort zone.
Not a full list, picked at random, but some of the latest from the label -

New release from John Tilbury of Terry Riley stuff - well worth a listen.

I must say the more I hear of Tilbury the more I think he’s got the magic, he’s a “great musician.”

Resurrecting this thread to let folks know about this announcement (with apologies for cross-posting on the Gaza thread):

On Bandcamp Friday 2nd February money from all Another Timbre sales will be donated to MAP.

In addition, 15 works from the Another Timbre catalogue will be available throughout February as pay-for downloads, and again all sales will go to support MAP’s work.

Thanks to the musicians and composers whose work is being made available in this way: John Tilbury, John Lely, Dirar Kalash, Linda Catlin Smith, Cassandra Miller, James Weeks, Eden Lonsdale, Sarah-Jane Summers, Marco Baldini, Tim Parkinson, Ryoko Akama, Adrian Democ, Frank Denyer, Katelyn Clark, Isaiah Ceccarelli, Anthony Pateras, Martin Arnold and Olivier Messiaen (he knows nothing about it, but I’m sure he’d have approved!)

advertisement

Back