advertisement

Another Steaming Question

I went with Tidal after trialling Qobuz, I prefer the interface and music library.

I don't listen to jazz or classical and I found the app a bit clunky, so Tidal was the better option for me.

I’m a bit confused by one or two posts; do I need to download Qobuz to a laptop? or is that just Roon?

Qobuz is a subscription-based music streaming service. It is a direct competitor to TIDAL. Qobuz has its own apps for various platforms, but it is also integrated into lots of third party hardware and software.

Roon is probably best described as a music streaming system. It is a mix of software and Internet services designed to enhance your listening experience. There are three main components. The first is a server (aka Core) which indexes and analyses your music library, integrates with TIDAL and/or Qobuz and does any heavy lifting like converting from DSD to PCM, up or downsampling, room correction etc. The second is an endpoint (aka Bridge) which communicates with the server and outputs PCM or DSD to your DAC (or to the DAC section of a streaming DAC). Finally there is a control app available for iOS, Android, macOS and Windows which provides a friendly user interface to the whole system. It is possible to run all three of these components on a single piece of hardware, typically a desktop or laptop PC. Alternatively, the components could be split across three different pieces of hardware, for example a PC running as a Roon Core, a Roon Ready streamer acting as Bridge and a tablet running the control app.

Why would I have? Anything by 'Archimago' or the ASR Cult I discount immediately. Their 'opinions' have absolutely no relevance to me and they never will.

There is that famous debate between Bill Nye ("the science guy") and creationist Ken Ham. At one point both were asked "what would it take to make you change your view". Bill Nye answered "evidence", while Ham basically said "Nothing, I believe (my view of) the Bible".

All just words either way. Don't know why folk get so hung up on opinions written down on paper. The only way to truly evaluate anything is by trying it.

Just because its on paper doesn't actually mean anything, tis still just an opinion.

Example 1: I've just written a statement above. is it true or not... well it depends.
Example 2: I have experiences you haven't had, yet... fact.

Qobuz is a subscription-based music streaming service. It is a direct competitor to TIDAL. Qobuz has its own apps for various platforms, but it is also integrated into lots of third party hardware and software.

Roon is probably best described as a music streaming system. It is a mix of software and Internet services designed to enhance your listening experience. There are three main components. The first is a server (aka Core) which indexes and analyses your music library, integrates with TIDAL and/or Qobuz and does any heavy lifting like converting from DSD to PCM, up or downsampling, room correction etc. The second is an endpoint (aka Bridge) which communicates with the server and outputs PCM or DSD to your DAC (or to the DAC section of a streaming DAC). Finally there is a control app available for iOS, Android, macOS and Windows which provides a friendly user interface to the whole system. It is possible to run all three of these components on a single piece of hardware, typically a desktop or laptop PC. Alternatively, the components could be split across three different pieces of hardware, for example a PC running as a Roon Core, a Roon Ready streamer acting as Bridge and a tablet running the control app.

Nice overview, thanks, Roon is not something I had looked into but see many times it gets mentioned. Saved me 700 quid subscription it would seem as well as I’m sure I can manage without it.

If you are just playing your own files, the case for Roon is not strong. However, when combined with a streaming service it is brilliant. It seamlessly integrates your library with similar music on the streaming service and is fantastic for discovering new music. I typically find one or two new albums every listening session.

Nice overview, thanks, Roon is not something I had looked into but see many times it gets mentioned. Saved me 700 quid subscription it would seem as well as I’m sure I can manage without it.

.. and to add to what andrewd has just said, the Roon subscription isn’t £700, it’s £120 - 35p a day. If you’re just getting into streaming you can certainly manage without it, but the more something like Qobuz becomes part of your life, the more useful Roon becomes.

If you are just playing your own files, the case for Roon is not strong. However, when combined with a streaming service it is brilliant. It seamlessly integrates your library with similar music on the streaming service and is fantastic for discovering new music. I typically find one or two new albums every listening session.

I disagree, i use roon with a local library of 1500+ albums and mainly play from there. I also have Qobuz to find/like new stuff before i buy the download. I still want to own the data. IF for some reason roon, Qobuz or any service for that matter goes tits-up i have my music.

I disagree, i use roon with a local library of 1500+ albums and mainly play from there. I also have Qobuz to find/like new stuff before i buy the download. I still want to own the data. IF for some reason roon, Qobuz or any service for that matter goes tits-up i have my music.

But it’s really unlikely Qobuz would ever go tits up instantly and disappear without trace overnight. So why not postpone buying stuff until you know they are doomed? It may never happen, and if it does your tastes may well have changed so you won’t want the download anyway.

I actually want and enjoy having the file locally. Not owning the music file concerns me. Then i can do other things, like trans-code it to MP3 for my phone and car... i don't want to rely on having decent connectivity to listen to music

.. and to add to what andrewd has just said, the Roon subscription isn’t £700, it’s £120 - 35p a day. If you’re just getting into streaming you can certainly manage without it, but the more something like Qobuz becomes part of your life, the more useful Roon becomes.

It’s even better than that. Remember that the prices are in US dollars rather than pounds sterling. It’s $119 (~£90) per year or $699 (~£530) for a lifetime subscription.

An annual subscription costs about 25p per day at today’s exchange rate.

I actually want and enjoy having the file locally. Not owning the music file concerns me. Then i can do other things, like trans-code it to MP3 for my phone and car... i don't want to rely on having decent connectivity to listen to music

I can use TIDAL in my car whenever I like. I don’t really mind whether I own the music or just rent it, as long as I get to listen to it.

I am sure that I could manage without it too, but Roon enhances my enjoyment of music in numerous subtle and not so subtle ways, so I am happy to have it here.

Not seen it in action, but have no problem browsing via the Tidal app or searching Tidal through Linn Kazoo app. Use a combination of NAS content, Tidal and online “radio” ... if I buy a copy it’s normally on vinyl now, occasionally CD and rip it. Don’t need the decoding side as the DS does what’s need, ie room correction.
Thanks for the explanations

Qobuz lets you store a ton of music to listen to offline in any format you like. Thousands of tracks. No connectivity necessary,

advertisement

Back