advertisement

Another mains fuse hits the streets

As to the disappearing video on page 11 , no one seems to know . So i will post it again along with another one that gives more detail into the effect if the Master fuse.

And no i didn't buy one , i bought 2 . Results are exactly as described in the videos , they have got it spot on. Also in the context of my system i would rate them as excellent value for money.

Now what did Oscar Wilde say ........

Quite a lot really. Could you be more specific?
Very mysterious but I assumed it referred to the line spoken by Lord Darlington from Lady Windermere's Fan, who when asked "What is a cynic?" replies "A man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing."

That is just a guess but, to develop Wilde's idea, there are some who pursue this hobby who know the value of music and also do know the value of audiophile fuses in their own personal context.

As to the disappearing video on page 11 , no one seems to know . So i will post it again along with another one that gives more detail into the effect if the Master fuse.

And no i didn't buy one , i bought 2 . Results are exactly as described in the videos , they have got it spot on. Also in the context of my system i would rate them as excellent value for money.

Now what did Oscar Wilde say ........
The second video is just one bloke with a cap babbling about nothing (fuses) for much too long: 15 minutes of blah-blah. Who listens to Patricia Barber anyway? 🙃 Useless.
First British bloke video same but shorter. Big jump, very funny. He really believes it.

No, that is correct but the shower has no accessible cable at the shower end and a cooker uses 10mm cable which, although not buried in the wall, is not accessible in normal use. Any captive fixed appliance cable which is accessible, like a towel rail or urn, must have a fused outlet.
Not sure why you're saying all this, as the reason radials are used is simply because of the amperage capacity which would stress a domestic ring. An electrically heated shower would require a 10mm2 t & e and an oven etc. maybe 6mm2 Nothing about accessibility a.f.a.I.k.
So the socket has 32a behind it
Many sockets have a 32 A MCB; unusual to have only 1 socket on a ring. You seem, in your text, to be conflating radial circuits with ring mains. All this discussion about plug fuses refers to ring mains and only radial circuits if you choose to have sockets as terminations, which I don't (there's no need). As regards safety, as far as I am aware, a radial circuit is as safe as a ring main; even safer if you split a radial termination into separate sockets and choose to use fused plugs; there are variations on the theme. A registered electrician would not install, test and certify one if it was not safe.

my round pin extension block I made sounds good to me. In actual fact it was a recommendation once in the hifi press many years ago. My kit isn’t on when I’m not at home and been like that for almost a year with no issues. Given the low current draw, theres no reason I couldn’t go with a lower amperage on the MCB.
Yes, the contact area and ease of cleaning did recommend round pin in the past, but it was counter-intuitive (and dangerous?) to use them on a ring main. A 13A (or 16A?) MCB is fine and would protect most decent mains leads; any less wouldn't be of any benefit.
any DIY electrical project
DIY dedicated radial circuits should only be DIY as far as routing (and terminations) are concerned. A sparks must either do the final install at c.u. end and/or test/certify it, or it's illegal.
as no fuse in the plug has to better than the most expensive fuse in existence, although Phil from Cheshire audio apparently had a customer who thought an SR fuse sounded better than no fuse which can’t be possible.
Yup to the first and dubious at best fot the second. Common sense prevails !

The second video is just one bloke with a cap babbling about nothing (fuses) for much too long: 15 minutes of blah-blah. Who listens to Patricia Barber anyway? 🙃 Useless.
First British bloke video same but shorter. Big jump, very funny. He really believes it.
I really like Phil and tend to agree with the majority of his opinions on kit but with some things I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I still swear by cd's over streaming. 😂💿💿

Yes, the contact area and ease of cleaning did recommend round pin in the past, but it was counter-intuitive (and dangerous?) to use them on a ring main. A 13A (or 16A?) MCB is fine and would protect most decent mains leads; any less wouldn't be of any benefit.

DIY dedicated radial circuits should only be DIY as far as routing (and terminations) are concerned. A sparks must either do the final install at c.u. end and/or test/certify it, or it's illegal.

Yup to the first and dubious at best fot the second. Common sense prevails !
I certainly don’t mess with the circuits in my house, my MCB was professionally installed. I just made a 8 way round pin mains block plugged into the socket to the hifi. Just be clear on that point. 🙂

I don’t really understand ring mains. What’s the point?
It was initiated at WW2's end when massive reconstruction began. Copper was a shortage and expensive material and the ring main was devised to save on copper as a ring could take a number of sockets or lights etc. and be covered by a circuit fuse at the fuse box. The individual fused plugs (13A) were necessary to protect the leads emanating from them, with different sized fuses to suit appliances, as Mr Pig explains above.

Why Britain had such a shortage of copper and Europe et al didn't, I've no idea, but there's nothing wrong with the domestic ring mains, with radials only installed for high amperage items which would otherwise overload a ring capacity.

Who cares if your fridge or kettle runs off a radial or ring circuit? Audiophiles seem to have decided that Ivor Tiefenbrum's 'source' was not the fruit box (LP12) but the electricity itself and I do subscribe to that belief , esp. where quality s/s electronics are concerned, though the jury's out on valved stuff (it's the trannies, innit; maybe????)

Out in the former colonies in SE Asia, we follow UK practice except our mains sockets are daisy chained in a room, not in a ring. Each room on a 20A MCB. Plugs are UK style fused.

advertisement

Back