advertisement

Another Beatles question

clifftaylor

Absolutely retired!
Chaps,
Reading through the Abbey Road thread reminded me of one of the biggest questions ever asked about poular music (possibly!), which is, of course: Who actually played drums on their albums?? Having been a bass player in my youth, I can tell the difference between drummers who've got it, and drummers who ain't, and there are plainly different drummers playing on their stuff. I believe McCartney is a fairly nifty sticks man, and there's the old story about the great Bernard Purdey appearing here and there. Ringo usually sounds like a bloke with his arms and legs in plaster, quite honestly....does anyone have any info on this, er, vital matter??
Cliff

"Best drummer in the world? He wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Was'nt? was n't?, oh bugger it

It was all Ringo, except on the first single, and the handful of tracks Macca did all by himself.

I think Ringo's a much under-rated drummer.

-- Ian

Cue the drummer jokes. Oh okay, I'll go first.

Q: Why to bands need Roadies?
A: To translate what the drummer says.

Paul

Paul L said:
Cue the drummer jokes.

Ian McCullough, asked how having a human drummer differed from using a drum machine:

'The drum machine had a better sense of humour'

Blzebub said:
Can anyone name any musician with any real sense of humour?

Nigel Blackwell (Half Man Half Biscuit). And Ian McCullough in his rants about U2. Boy George, Julian Cope etc etc etc.

ian

some of the early recordings of the beatles @ the BBC lead me to thnk that aged pro-rata i was better drummer and i was never all that special; solid but not that special.

see you soon?

John

I think most musicians' idea of a joke is playing E-flat instead of F-sharp, or somesuch. A pretty miserable group of individuals, by and large, rather like the Russians. I number them among my friends, however. Charity begins at home, after all.

Paul L said:
Cue the drummer jokes. Oh okay, I'll go first.

Q: Why to bands need Roadies?
A: To translate what the drummer says.

Paul

Q: What's the difference between a drum machine & a drummer?
A: You only have to punch the instructions into a drum machine once.

On the Ringo front, along with John Bonham & Stevie Wonder, Ringo is in my top 3 drummers list. All had/have great feel and knew exactly where to put the beat. They may not be technically gifted (a la Steve Gadd or Bill Bruford etc), but for rock music that doesn't really matter. Oh, and Phil Collins would be in 4th place (if anyone is interested).

Gary (drummer)

advertisement

Back