advertisement

Annuals: recycle or charity?

JTC

PFM Villager...
Clearing out my father's place, I discovered perhaps 100+ comic annuals, of the Beano, Dandy, Broons, Oor Wullie, etc. sort.

Anyone know if such things are of any interest to kids these days, or should I recycle the lot? It'd be a bit of an effort to get this lot to a charity shop, and they may have no interest anyway.

Mostly it's 70s-mid 90s stuff. Seems a shame to recycle it but maybe that's all it's good for these days? (Btw if anyone wants them and collect from Fife, please do!)

I'd have thought they'd be exactly the kind of thing some collectors would be interested in surely? Find out when the Antiques Roadshow is anywhere near your area and take a sample over to see what they say maybe?

They will have a value, I'm sure, but before I dumped them at a charity shop. I'd phone them first. Around here anyway(Oswestry area) the charity shops are heaving and being selective. Lack of room and all that.

That's a very good point to give them a call beforehand. Couple of years ago my wife took a load of PC computer games that I wanted rid of to the local charity shop. No room they said, not interested.
They were all big box originals - Quake, Half Life, Hexen, Thief and the sequels to all of them plus some others like Blade Runner and early Westwood Studios.
So I put them on Ebay and made £25 - £50 a piece. Nearly £500 all told. Much better than sending them to landfill. Anything's better than that.

The Red Cross shop in town, opened the bag of clothes, my wife had sent, and inspected, each article. She buys all her stuf from Gudrun Sjoden, and it aint cheap. I was embarrassed at first, then the assistant was.

Depends. Some shops don't have the right clientele or the will to sell stuff like this. It's easier to just knock out the routine stuff such as last year's clothing.
We get this at the bike charity where I volunteer as a mechanic. Sometimes the shop is so full of bikes that the interesting stuff doesn't get done because the time to yield ratio isn't in its favour. I quite often go there and the place is swimming with kids' bikes that need a cable or a brake service and can then go out. The other guys don't like working on them because the quality is crap, but I often just go in and bag them off as easy wins. Brakes, a cable, adjust, it's working. Next. I can get a couple knocked off and in the window for £30-40, and there is steady demand. They never need much repair because obviously they don't do the miles and are never worn out beyond general deterioration after being left in the rain and a damp shed.

advertisement

Back