advertisement

And another lithium battery problem on a 787!

JohnW

pfm member

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-confirms-new-787-battery-problem-in-tokyo-394831/

http://news.yahoo.com/jal-dreamliner-hit-battery-problem-001418392.html

As an electronics engineer I cannot understand the “bloody mindedness” of Boeing to keep insisting on lithium battery technology. A fire on the ground and you have a good chance to survive - but in the air....

I’ve experience 2 lithium battery overheat incidences and would NEVER consider using them in a safety critical situation. In my opinion, Boeing is taking an almighty risk for a debatable benefit.

Boeings argument is that Lithium cells are lighter then older technology, but since the first 2 battery incidents Boeing has been forced to add extra steel armour (and an external fume venting system) to protect the airframe in case of a Battery cell malfunction – is there still really that much of a weight saving, and if indeed there is still a weight benefit does it justify the risk?

Personally I’d rather pay the extra fuel “penalty” on the ticket price for the increased safety then for what must amount to no more then 20 to 50kg of weight saving… (and again after the extra steel armour has been added is there still really a weight benefit?)…

I think Boeing has just pushed it a little too far… History has now provided 4 known incidents of battery failure with the Boeing 787 in its relatively short lifespan – Why are we taking the risk?

From an outsiders perspective it appears that Boeing is trying to protect its pride - but if they loose a 787 with its passengers?

I hope my fears of a fatal (non cargo related) accident due to Lithium Battery fire never becomes reality – I don’t understand why the regulators allow the risk due to pressure from the aircraft manufacturers… Four fires or overheat events in 1 year… anyone see a pattern?

I walk around with a big one in my trouser pocket while listening to headphones and I don't want to turn into a lady in a burns unit thank you very much.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-confirms-new-787-battery-problem-in-tokyo-394831/

http://news.yahoo.com/jal-dreamliner-hit-battery-problem-001418392.html

As an electronics engineer I cannot understand the “bloody mindedness” of Boeing to keep insisting on lithium battery technology. A fire on the ground and you have a good chance to survive - but in the air....

I’ve experience 2 lithium battery overheat incidences and would NEVER consider using them in a safety critical situation. In my opinion, Boeing is taking an almighty risk for a debatable benefit.

Boeings argument is that Lithium cells are lighter then older technology, but since the first 2 battery incidents Boeing has been forced to add extra steel armour (and an external fume venting system) to protect the airframe in case of a Battery cell malfunction – is there still really that much of a weight saving, and if indeed there is still a weight benefit does it justify the risk?

Personally I’d rather pay the extra fuel “penalty” on the ticket price for the increased safety then for what must amount to no more then 20 to 50kg of weight saving… (and again after the extra steel armour has been added is there still really a weight benefit?)…

I think Boeing has just pushed it a little too far… History has now provided 4 known incidents of battery failure with the Boeing 787 in its relatively short lifespan – Why are we taking the risk?

From an outsiders perspective it appears that Boeing is trying to protect its pride - but if they loose a 787 with its passengers?

I hope my fears of a fatal (non cargo related) accident due to Lithium Battery fire never becomes reality – I don’t understand why the regulators allow the risk due to pressure from the aircraft manufacturers… Four fires or overheat events in 1 year… anyone see a pattern?

If they switched to another technology, they would have to qualify it and get it approved which would be expensive along with the retrofit. Plus the "we got it wrong you are flying in an unsafe aircraft" while they were doing it, means the inertia against changing will be immense.

I won't be flying on a 787 for a very long time. Not until I'm convinced that Boeing have regained their control of quality. Don't forget the other problems, like missing fuel filters.

They've taken their eye off the ball, and are suffering a very public humiliation. With Comac in China due to begin production of their own airliners soon, the landscape will be very different in ten years time.

If they switched to another technology, they would have to qualify it and get it approved which would be expensive along with the retrofit.

But they faced this issue when the retrofitted the extra venting system and armoured protected the cells the fleet was grounded for 4 months while they developed this "solution" and then recertified...

I quote:-

"Boeing admitted in April that despite months of testing it did not know the root cause of the battery problems, but rolled out modifications it said would ensure the issue did not recur.

The measures comprised redesigning the battery and charger system and adding a steel box to prevent burning."

So they are saying, we don't understand or know why we had the problems, but in case we missed something and theirs a fire we will put the whole lot in a Steal box and vent the fumes outside the aircraft (while the fire burns within)... Well that truly inspires confidence!!! We are talking about the lives of passengers (and anyone who might be on the ground as the plane falls on there head)!

And now we have just had a forth incident so soon after all these investigations - obviously there's something WRONG!

It's the fact that Boeing don't know the root cause that worries me. However, at least they're being open and honest.

I walk around with a big one in my trouser pocket while listening to headphones and I don't want to turn into a lady in a burns unit thank you very much.

Puts me in mind of the time my younger brother was horsing about and fell backwards on to the packet of Swan Vestas he had in his back pocket - how we laughed as he jumped around trying to put out the fire....

I had an 18650 go up in a charger last week, not sure if it was the charger or battery that caused it. It as a shit load of smoke. Totally melted the charger and cable and tripped the mains.

advertisement

Back