advertisement

Ancient hi fi amp for teenage Xmas?

Ok Thanks very much for the info, most useful.

Last daft question (hopefully). So the Chromecast Audio will receive wi-fi audio directly from a phone without a "host" wi fi network to run on?

i.e. Will it work say out of doors or away from a wi fi network.?

No, you need a wifi network, but many smartphones can act as their own hotspot.

Of course, it waits to be seen what said teenager thinks of compressed mp3s when played through a proper system. You could be sowing the seeds of analogue revival with this gift.

Of course, it waits to be seen what said teenager thinks of compressed mp3s when played through a proper system. You could be sowing the seeds of analogue revival with this gift.

Yeah, right enough. LP12 on next year's Xmas list!

No, you need a wifi network, but many smartphones can act as their own hotspot.

The Chromecast can act as it's own wi-fi hotspot, so you can stream direct to (or control it directly) from the phone without any additional wi-fi equipment

What does everyone think is the best app for streaming to Chromecast Audio from an iphone?

I was recommended Allcast which works, but it won't let you shuffle playlists etc. Everything has to be played in alphabetical order by artists name or song name, both of which I find hugely annoying for background music around the house.

Just bought a Chromecast Audio as recommended by others on here but I reckon I will be returning it.
It seems to be essentially a gateway device for paid subscriptions to other apps & services. I was hoping that it would allow someone to simply play the music already on their phone. I'm using an iPhone so maybe it works better with an Android phone, which my nephew has. However, I don't want to be giving him a gift which ends up costing him money or means he will have to load all his music on the cloud.
Jeez, isn't it enough that you buy a product. Manufacturers want your money for the hardware and then a subscription for the rest of your life. Back to bluetooth methinks.

What does everyone think is the best app for streaming to Chromecast Audio from an iphone?

I was recommended Allcast which works, but it won't let you shuffle playlists etc. Everything has to be played in alphabetical order by artists name or song name, both of which I find hugely annoying for background music around the house.

I've found that Music Steamer works well with a NAS drive. It supports playlists.

Wulbert,

The Chromecast does not need any subscriptions - it will play any music stored on the phone itself,

or on a home network if he has one
or internet radio (free)

or music subscription services - but you certainly don't need to subscribe to get a world of music playing through it.

Wulbert,

The Chromecast does not need any subscriptions - it will play any music stored on the phone itself,

or on a home network if he has one
or internet radio (free)

or music subscription services - but you certainly don't need to subscribe to get a world of music playing through it.

Thanks, I'll need to do some more reading to find out how to do that. When I set it up with my iphone it seemed that I had to buy another app or spotify premium. Glad to hear that it's not all pay to play.

I listened to a £20 bluetooth receiver through the amp and the sound wasn't great but still a whole lot better than a cheap BT beat box.

Wow!,
Just got the Chromecast thingy working for free with an App called "All Cast". It sounds bloody good, much better than I expected. The ancient Arcam Delta 60 and Diamond 3's sound pretty impressive too. So much so that I now don't want to part with them, ha ha.

Just bought a Chromecast Audio as recommended by others on here but I reckon I will be returning it.
It seems to be essentially a gateway device for paid subscriptions to other apps & services. I was hoping that it would allow someone to simply play the music already on their phone. I'm using an iPhone so maybe it works better with an Android phone, which my nephew has. However, I don't want to be giving him a gift which ends up costing him money or means he will have to load all his music on the cloud.
Jeez, isn't it enough that you buy a product. Manufacturers want your money for the hardware and then a subscription for the rest of your life. Back to bluetooth methinks.

Google Music is a good option, the app is free, you can upload upto 50K tracks (IIRC) to the Google cloud for free and stream them to the Chromecast over wifi.

If you want to stream local content (e.g., a NAS) or from the phone, Plex is a good Chromecast compatible app.

No subscriptions needed, although the £10 a month Google Music subscription is great IMO.

advertisement

Back