advertisement

Analogue Productions - Atlantic records 75th Series.

Just so many examples where the 1st press had a textured sleeve, inner, poster or something, and the reissue not.

They even swapped out the printed and card inner sleeves for plain paper on the represses. That was the first detail that I noticed/discovered I think - I guess that was the 80s recession for you.

Hard to see these getting as far as Europe. Same with the Rhino High Fidelity titles. Luckily only a few of the titles mentioned so far hold any interest for me.

I'm struggling to care either way on this one. Though people shelling out top dollar for special audiophile Phil Collins records is quite funny.

Obviously the titles by Saint John are essential but I already have the Heavyweight Champion box and decent enough reissues of the three Mingus titles.

I wonder why they aren't doing Pithecanthropus Erectus?

Weirdly they already released an 'Atlantic 75th' edition of Coltrane Ole earlier in the year on clear vinyl.

...and the 60th My Favorite Things last year too, which they managed to do perfectly well by themselves!

I'm struggling to care either way on this one. Though people shelling out top dollar for special audiophile Phil Collins records is quite funny.

Obviously the titles by Saint John are essential but I already have the Heavyweight Champion box and decent enough reissues of the three Mingus titles.

I wonder why they aren't doing Pithecanthropus Erectus?

Pithecanthropus Erectus? yes
2x45rpm Mono & SACD mono

It is amusing that among the finest records on Antlantic are Genesis and Phil Collins that they only released under license from Charisma and Virgin.

For me, records are for listening or even collecting. That people buy them because they are 'investments' is frankly just cynical and off putting to me.

If one is not wealthy, and IME most serious record collectors definitely aren’t, it is very reassuring to have an appreciating asset that can easily be cashed-in in small instalments should one fall on harder times.

My collection has always been liquid and it has always, right from my school days, been funded largely by buying and selling other records. I’ve always had exactly the type of mind that just soaks up and holds the knowledge required for this. I always recognised undervalue stuff when I saw it, so acted on it. Initially it was just seeing something in one shop marked-up at a quarter or third of real value, buying it, and then trading in elsewhere for stuff I wanted. It grew to a listing in Record Collector, and eventually into what I do today. I’m still small-scale, but I never wanted a record shop (certainly not a high st one), I’m just a collector funding my own buying and on good weeks making a few quid to live on too. You’ll find most dealers are exactly the same.

The investment thing is interesting and can obviously go both ways. I’ve always got a small pile of stuff that is ripening, i.e. stuff I’m pretty sure will go upwards in value. It is one reason I try to buy the most limited edition of stuff. It is a safety factor as if I decide I don’t get on with it after a couple of plays I can almost always get my money and postage back out of it. It just makes sense as a buying strategy.

Full List here (if anyone's interested :)).
Alice Cooper Welcome To My Nightmare (Atlantic 75 Series)
Bad Company Bad Company (Atlantic 75 Series)
Bad Company Burnin' Sky (Atlantic 75 Series)
Bad Company Desolation Angels (Atlantic 75 Series)
Bad Company Run With The Pack (Atlantic 75 Series)
Bad Company Straight Shooter (Atlantic 75 Series)
Boz Scaggs Boz Scaggs (Atlantic 75 Series)
Buffalo Springfield Buffalo Springfield (Atlantic 75 Series)
Buffalo Springfield Buffalo Springfield Again (Atlantic 75 Series)
Charles Mingus Blues & Roots (Atlantic 75 Series)
Charles Mingus Oh Yeah (Atlantic 75 Series)
Charles Mingus Pithecanthropus Erectus (Mono) (Atlantic 75 Series)
Charles Mingus The Clown (Mono) (Atlantic 75 Series)
Crosby, Stills and Nash Crosby, Stills & Nash (Atlantic 75 Series)
Crosby, Stills and Nash CSN (Atlantic 75 Series)
Crosby, Stills and Nash Daylight Again (Atlantic 75 Series)
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young Deja Vu (Atlantic 75 Series)
Daryl Hall & John Oates Abandoned Luncheonette (Atlantic 75 Series)
David Crosby If I Could Only Remember My Name (Atlantic 75 Series)
Donny Hathaway Donny Hathaway (Atlantic 75 Series)
Donny Hathaway Everything Is Everything (Atlantic 75 Series)
Dr John Dr. John's Gumbo (Atlantic 75 Series)
Dr John Gris Gris (Atlantic 75 Series)
Dr John In The Right Place (Atlantic 75 Series)
Dusty Springfield Dusty In Memphis (Atlantic 75 Series)
Foreigner Foreigner (Atlantic 75 Series)
Foreigner 4 (Atlantic 75 Series)
Foreigner Double Vision (Atlantic 75 Series)
Foreigner Head Games Foreigner (Atlantic 75 Series)
Genesis A Trick Of The Tail (Atlantic 75 Series)
Genesis Abacab (Atlantic 75 Series)
Genesis Foxtrot (Atlantic 75 Series)
Genesis Genesis (Atlantic 75 Series)
Genesis Nursery Cryme (Atlantic 75 Series)
Genesis Selling England By The Pound (Atlantic 75 Series)
Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Atlantic 75 Series)
Hootie & The Blowfish Cracked Rear View (Atlantic 75 Series)
INXS Kick (Atlantic 75 Series)
John Coltrane Coltrane Jazz (Atlantic 75 Series)
John Coltrane Coltrane Plays The Blues (Atlantic 75 Series)
John Coltrane Coltrane Sound (Atlantic 75 Series)
John Coltrane Giant Steps (Atlantic 75 Series)
John Coltrane My Favourite Things (Atlantic 75 Series)
John Coltrane Ole Coltrane (Atlantic 75 Series)
John Prine John Prine (Atlantic 75 Series)
Les McCann & Eddie Harris Swiss Movement (Atlantic 75 Series)
Matchbox Twenty Yourself Or Someone Like You (Atlantic 75 Series)
Milt Jackson And John Coltrane Bags & Trane (Atlantic 75 Series)
Otis Redding Complete & Unbelievable...The Otis Redding Dictionary Of Soul (Atlantic 75 Series)
Otis Redding The Dock Of The Bay (Atlantic 75 Series)
Otis Redding The Soul Album (Atlantic 75 Series)
Otis Redding Otis Blue- Otis Redding Sings Soul (Atlantic 75 Series)
Phil Collins Face Value (Atlantic 75 Series)
Phil Collins Hello, I Must Be Going (Atlantic 75 Series)
Ray Charles The Genius After Hours (Mono) (Atlantic 75 Series)
Ray Charles The Great Ray Charles (Atlantic 75 Series)
Ray Charles Ray Charles (Atlantic 75 Series)
Ray Charles The Genius Of Ray Charles (Atlantic 75 Series)
Ray Charles What'd I Say (Atlantic 75 Series)
Roberta Flack Killing Me Softly (Atlantic 75 Series)
Stone Temple Pilots Core (Atlantic 75 Series)
Stone Temple Pilots Purple (Atlantic 75 Series)
T-Bone Walker T-Bone Blues (Atlantic 75 Series)
Velvet Underground Loaded (Atlantic 75 Series)
Willie Nelson Shotgun Willie (Atlantic 75 Series)
Wilson Pickett The Exciting Wilson Pickett (Atlantic 75 Series)
Yes 90125 (Atlantic 75 Series)
Yes Close To The Edge (Atlantic 75 Series)
Yes Fragile (Atlantic 75 Series)
Yes The Yes Album (Atlantic 75 Series)

2 titles being released per month

Apparently Atlantic is releasing 'them' too in standard fare, i.e. from digitised sources

https://media.rhino.com/press-release/atlantic-75
From the above link…

‘Atlantic is pleased to announce the forthcoming releases of Led Zeppelin’s paradigm-shifting untitled fourth album, commonly referred to as Led Zeppelin IV, and Coldplay’s A Head Full of Dreams. Led Zeppelin IV, produced by Jimmy Page, will be pressed on crystal-clear, 180g vinyl. The new edition of A Head Full of Dreams is pressed on 140g colored re-cycled vinyl…’

Feel they are trying to tell you something, Chris?

I take your point, but the very basic covers really let them down IMO and I’d happily pay an extra fiver for a proper heavy (non-gatefold) tip-on sleeve. It is even more obvious with Blue Note as the cover art is as good as it gets. The art deserves something of the quality of a US original, not a mid-80s bargain-bin reissue.

As someone who really discovered music in the late-70s and through the ‘80s I was used to crap quality thin card sleeves etc. Finding original US jazz pressings later on was a real eye-opener, the quality of those original Impulse, Blue Note sleeves are just amazing. Folk buying them today should experience the same IMO. Blue Note’s decision to give the more obscure corners of their catalogue amazingly over the top packaging with the Tone Poet range looks odd when the absolute classics arrive in what look like bog standard 1980s budget reissue sleeves, yet still command a >£20 price tag.
I’m was amazed to see what some of the numerous “304 Park Ave” Scorpio Blue Notes were selling for on DISCOGS. They do sound pretty nice and were selling for a bargain price but they’ve really gone up in value.

Nov 2023
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Dr. John - In The Right Place
Foreigner - Foreigner
Oct 2023
John Prine - S/.T
Phil Collins - Face Value
Charles Mingus - Blues Roots

blob

Regarding the list all titles are vinyl /sacd releases except the Phil Collins two releases and now the Crosby Stills and Nash couch, are vinyl only.

Phil Collins - LP Only
CSN - Couch LP Only , SACD cancelled yesterday
LP 2,000 copies 75 Titles - SACD confirmed titles below ( more in 2024/2025 )
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
INXS - Kick
Genesis - Abacab
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Genesis - Foxtrot
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail
Genesis - Genesis
Yes - 90125

Review From a PC fan
Absolutely perfect!
This was the first album I ever loved. My parents have told me stories of how obsessed I was with this album since I was a child. There is VHS video footage of me receiving a new copy of it on vinyl from my aunt at my third birthday party. I've had every iteration of Face Value since then; cassette, cd, multiple vinyl editions, remastered cd, etc. I know this album like the back of my hand I've never heard the album sound like this!
The clarity in EVERY instrument is astounding.

Update on the 75 series. Pity these are double 45s they just don't interest me. They're reserving the right to change a small number of titles/dates owing to tape issues. Some are being recut at short notice rather than using old classic records metal...

advertisement

Back