advertisement

Analogue cars

A 2003 Suzuki Alto has nothing electric except windows and central locking. Still looks showroom underneath as well protected and good steel. Gearboxes are vague from new, and it's noisy, but everything else OK. There are plenty of low mileage ones.

Are these really ecu-free? Parkers quote 57mpg for a 1.1. Sounds like the one for me, after I convert it to LPG.

citroen-2cv-06.jpg

1949_VW_Beetle.jpg

Oh I used to love working on My Opel kadett C because I could do most of it myself.

Those were the days. A north south engine ,a Haynes manual and a socket set :D. Wish I had it now. They're worth a bob or two in mint nick.

Oh I used to love working on My Opel kadett C because I could do most of it myself.

Those were the days. A north south engine ,a Haynes manual and a socket set :D. Wish I had it now. They're worth a bob or two in mint nick now.

Yes, that brings back memories, Hillman Hunters various Fords and BMC cars.
Then I bought a Honda and it took me a while to figure out that the reason I had free weekends was because I now owned a reliable car.
Caught a lot more fish.
Mr Ed

I'd like another 2CV. I loved mine, a 1977 model I owned 2004-6 in France and sold when I came back to the UK.

As a daily driver though, no thanks, unless your daily drive never exceeded 10 miles.

Are these really ecu-free? Parkers quote 57mpg for a 1.1. Sounds like the one for me, after I convert it to LPG.

The engines are indian [Maruti] so think '70's tractor with a body' Every day is like the Italian job if you spank it. Mine has never needed anything doing except brakes.

SAAB Forum try this one
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/forum/index.php

Quite a few SAAB fitters on the forum with access to manuals etc etc.
Thanks for that Derek, I'll have a look and a chat, see what people have to say.

I had an Elan +2, on the other hand, which is exactly as you describe. Its yearly service and MOT never cost less than a grand.
Well, you are in the deep end there, esp if it was a twink. New water pump Sir? Yes, first we have to take the head off, then we can look at the water pump. We'll need to do it again in 50k miles of course. In those days LOTUS really did mean Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious. Enthusiast only and only a daily driver for those VERY deep of pocket, fully paid up members of the AA and with a liking for service station coffee and unplanned overnight stays in Travelodge motels.

No they aren't. Everything 2003 needs an ECU to meet emissions regs that started biting in '92 and have tightened ever since. Don't go LPG on a small car, you lose performance and so have to drive it harder, so you lose economy, so you miss the point.

Seriously Mick, I have a Civic and have had no probs whatever with it.
Yep, buy Japanese and you'll need an annual service and MoT, not much else. They aren't cheap but once bought you'll not do more than tyres, exhausts, servicing and petrol for 100k miles. 9 times out of 10 at least, the rest is down to chance.

No they aren't. Everything 2003 needs an ECU to meet emissions regs that started biting in '92 and have tightened ever since. Don't go LPG on a small car, you lose performance and so have to drive it harder, so you lose economy, so you miss the point.

Too late! Running a 900kg Smart Forfour on lpg....it is the 1.5 though, so is nearly as fast as a mk1 Golf Gti

That Telegraph article above suggests the W123 is the one to have. Can you elaborate on your experiences with these cars?

Well, if the Telegraph suggests so....

What do you want to know?
I basically comes down to this:

W123 more rust problems, no airbags.
W124 less rust problems, airbags.

Engines & Gearbox are more or less exactly the same.
Early (pre '89) W124 had a few problems with gaskets and camshafts, all fixed post '90.

Stick to the 4 pot injection models, the sixers have a few more problems and are rather thirsty. (especially 280).

I like the style of the W123, it's one of the last "oldtimer" cars you can buy for reasonable money. But living north of the alps, you need to consider rust. So the W124 is the more sensible solution. Also worth cosnidering: W126 260se. Not 280.

OK 92, but 90 is not a vintage year for cars either.... the wretched catalytic converter.

80s it is then! Might just get another BMW e30.....

Really? 'Zit any good?

Hilarious car. Same torque steer handling and poor front wheel grip, in the wet but at least it has good brakes! Oh and plenty of wind noise like an 80s hatch too. So fast and economical at 46mpg. Shame about the electronic auto box. If I had bought the manual I would not have started this thread probably.

Fast forward 20 years, last year I had a ratty old Vectra that started failing to start when hot. Code reader said "ECU fault" at 3 different garages. "New ECU mate, £1100 fitted". I don't think so. Regular readers here may remember the tale, in short it turned out to be a dicky connection. Nobody had the good sense to understand that if you pull a lead off an ECU the computer flags it as "ECU fault". I was lucky, I was working at the other end of the country and needed a car, had the car been worth anything I'd have coughed £1100 for nothing and put it down to maintenance. Again a mechanic who knew his stuff would do some proper diagnosis, but then again if you know how to diagnose faults on complex electrical systems are you going to hang around a car dealership, getting filthy every day for £7 an hour and spending 6 days a week doing oil changes and brake pads? Not many.

I owned a Volvo S80 T6 - great car to drive and stupidly fast, but always needed something doing. I kept getting a dashboard message - "Engine Management. Service Required". It turns out it was the 'Brake Pedal Position Sensor' - a small plastic tube containing a circuit board and a plug socket on the end, that goes into the brake servo. What happens is the joints dry where the socket is attached. Take it apart, resolder, job done. Saving £100+VAT
Within a week I was getting errors about ABS, PAS, and brake failure. Cause? The ABS control unit power inlet socket dry joints - a common failing on those. Dismantle it, dab with a soldering iron, reassemble, save nearly £1500.

I wonder how many cars are scrapped for the want of easy repairs like these?
Also, it highlights just how needlessly expensive these electronics are.

OK 92, but 90 is not a vintage year for cars either.... the wretched catalytic converter.

80s it is then! Might just get another BMW e30.....

even the e30 is not without its foibles. change fuel pump relay, DME relay, and check fuel lines straight off. before you do all the maintenance items like shocks, brakes, inspection II service etc...

It is indeed shady behaviour to not give you the codes. That's what you paid for.

IME code readers, like the old Krypron tuners of my youth, are only as good as the man reading them. Many yeares ago, on the Fiesta above, I had a high speed misfire. I ran it in for a diag, the mechanic said it was carb icing as a result of a faulty hot air flap that decided whether to such air from a hotbox around the ex manifold or from the outside. It was July, so icing is unlikely and even I know the difference between a slow strangulation as a result of ice buildup and a sudden ignition cut followed by a recovery. I bought an air flap device then checked the existing one out - guess what? It worked perfectly. Backed it, had another diag at another garage, faulty Hall switch. That sounds more likely, job done, £40 parts, same labour, done. This man actually knew how to diagnose faults.

Fast forward 20 years, last year I had a ratty old Vectra that started failing to start when hot. Code reader said "ECU fault" at 3 different garages. "New ECU mate, £1100 fitted". I don't think so. Regular readers here may remember the tale, in short it turned out to be a dicky connection. Nobody had the good sense to understand that if you pull a lead off an ECU the computer flags it as "ECU fault". I was lucky, I was working at the other end of the country and needed a car, had the car been worth anything I'd have coughed £1100 for nothing and put it down to maintenance. Again a mechanic who knew his stuff would do some proper diagnosis, but then again if you know how to diagnose faults on complex electrical systems are you going to hang around a car dealership, getting filthy every day for £7 an hour and spending 6 days a week doing oil changes and brake pads? Not many.

Are you suggesting that diagnosing faults can be just as unreliable now as it was then? I don't remember it that way.

even the e30 is not without its foibles. DME relay

Indeed. I have a variety of lights that come on randomly on my annoying little red light screen near the mirror. At least it doesn't break down.

However, this is an ECU car, so not analogue at all. I must, therefore, sell it!

Mine (325i Touring) was awesome - had warm stating problems solved by the fuel pump relay. the 'sneeze' it did (very disconcerting for passengers when it occured at 75MPH on motorway) was traced to the DME relay.
the e30 is superb, if now a little dated. I had pagid slotted rotors and fast road pads, had fully serviced it, new shifter bushings, synthetic castrol in the diff and gearbox, had spent a generous amount with Euro Carparts, and Cooks Ferry, and was about to do suspension/wheels/tyres and then have some track day fun. it's taken me 11 years to replace it (e46 touring) and while the e46 is more superior in most aspects, it's more complex and costly to maintain - and let's not talk of the bloody auto that goes kersplat.

e30 definitely merits serious consideration as a good car that is relatively analogue.

W124 300 or 320E would be the other contender, though more thirsty.

advertisement

Back