advertisement

An Epic Tale Of Two Celestion Ditton 66 Refurbishments

During my testing, I tried several T1600 bass drivers, several MF500 units and about a dozen HF2000 units. I noticed that regardless of the T1600 and MF500 combination used, this pair of 66s sounded consistently less coloured through the lower midrange and upper bass frequencies than my 2018 refurbished 66s. As well as being rather jealous I am also curious as to why this is?!

Veneered vs. non-veneered baffle?

Veneered vs. non-veneered baffle?
Possible I suppose, but would that not affect the upper frequencies more than the lower frequencies in terms of its reflectiveness? I did paint the non-veneered baffles with semi-gloss paint so both baffles have comparatively similar shiny appearance', but the non-veneered baffle of course has more texture as I didn't sand it smooth before painting. I'm not convinced that the baffle finish would account for all of the difference I'm hearing though.

I was more thinking about damping/rigidity/‘note’ of any resonance. It actually wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if veneering the baffle didn’t alter or exaggerate a resonance somewhere, it would likely shift any existing issue up in pitch by making it more ‘rigid’.

Replacing the T2169 drivers in my 2018 66's with earlier T1600 has brought the frequency response below 500Hz measurably and audibly closer to that of my 2015 66s:

(Note: All of the following measurements were made at a distance of 1 metre and on-axis with the MD500 unit, so may not be relevant for farfield distances).

Before:
48065950856_abf1a40a6e_b.jpg

After:
48066055477_036faf2097_b.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I then reversed the polarity on one of the bass drivers, to see what effect it had on the LF/MF crossover region. Reversing the polarity on the woofer decreases output between 300Hz-550Hz and increases output between 700Hz-900Hz. The midrange sounds more forward with less upper-bass bleed when the woofer's polarity is inverted, - I think I prefer this new tonal balance.

48073568251_19f8720150_b.jpg

Below are the Phase Response and Step Response graphs, before and after reversing the woofer polarity. I could use a little help to explain the changes in these! I'd also be grateful for test track recommendations that provide the best/easiest opportunity for an unskilled listener to hear the difference when woofer polarity is reversed. So far all I'm hearing is a change in tonal balance, I don't detect a change in transient response.

Phase responses:
48073613723_8ca1c111b7_b.jpg

48073568156_db46ac133d_b.jpg

Step responses:
48073613683_f00651eb16_b.jpg
48073568086_ed1fa376ca_b.jpg

My Tannoy (Edinburgh) Monitor Gold 12 for comparison purposes:
48074148128_93c5c07d54_b.jpg

48074209462_0332f2aa64_b.jpg

These are the farfield measurements (taken from my listening seat) of one Ditton 66, comparing the response before and after inverting the woofer polarity:

Amplitude frequency response:
48085304108_d4f1090fae_b.jpg

Phase response:
48085360702_e701b515f1_b.jpg

48085304318_ca75175c5c_b.jpg

Step response:
48085304193_fce392d4f8_b.jpg

48085360832_db44901a6a_b.jpg

Thought I should update this thread with how my Ditton 66s have been tweaked since my last post. In short, nothing much has changed. I still have the polarity of the woofers inverted to provide a cleaner response through the LF/MF crossover area. I have however since taken time to integrate my subs. I'm running the 66s full range and have set the XO frequency of the subs to where the <40Hz roll-off is minimised but the >40Hz peak isn't added to. Getting this dialled in exactly was finicky but doable with Periodic Pink Noise, an RTA and a steady hand!

I have EQ'd the entire system in 4 areas:
1) notch filter at 48Hz to capture the 42Hz, 45Hz and 52Hz room modes;
2) notch filter at 130Hz to control a response peak;
3) wide notch filter at 750Hz to attenuate mid frequencies;
4) notch filter at 6kHz to smooth MF/HF crossover region.

I used measurements to guide me where to set the centre frequency for each notch filter, but I ultimately used my ears to determine what areas of the frequency response needed to be ameliorated and how much EQ should be used to achieve this. My approach was to use the least amount of EQ possible to obtain an even-handed sonic presentation that is detailed and transparent but has no areas that draw undue attention.

The BBC-esque dip at 3kHz is a classic feature of the 66 tuning, as is the 5kHz-6kHz bump. (The 5kHz-6kHz bump is most noticeable when listening on-axis with the mid unit, which is how I prefer to listen to these speakers). I found that EQ'ing the bump completely flat robbed too much excitement so I left a little lift in.

I verified all EQ adjustments by listening and measuring in several locations around my listening seat to ensure I ended up with a response that was balanced and didn't create more problems than it fixed. Sadly I didn't save all of those measurements so am unable to upload an average of them.

The following graph shows a before & after EQ from my listening seat, with the left & right speakers averaged into a single measurement:
48803313788_3ca8fefe63_o.jpg

Some will no doubt argue I've ended up with a tonal balance on the brighter side of neutral, and they are perfectly entitled to this opinion! As I say, I have not been led by target house curves, I have EQ'd the system so that it sounds both natural and neutral to my ears. :)

This was all done with the speaker grilles OFF. As much as I think these speakers look best with the grilles on, they do have a significant effect on the frequency response, knocking an average of 2dB off everything above 4kHz (the effect isn't entirely linear so I suspect the metal grid structure diffracts certain frequencies more than others), which is detrimental to the transparency/clarity and crispness of the presentation IMO.

Although it took some fettling to get there, these Ditton 66s in the current configuration are probably the most satisfyingly balanced and articulate 'big monitors' I've thus far had the privilege of owning. :)

Last edited:
Superb thread, thanks for sharing. My brother bought a new pair of Ditton 44 in the mid seventies and I always enjoyed listening to them. He still has them, but unfortunately they haven't been used for many years.

I was more thinking about damping/rigidity/‘note’ of any resonance. It actually wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if veneering the baffle didn’t alter or exaggerate a resonance somewhere, it would likely shift any existing issue up in pitch by making it more ‘rigid’.
I wonder how the wood damping and density changes from 40 years of central heating. Quality musical instruments were made from wood seasoned for years to allow the material to stabilize.

Time to resurrect this thread once more!

After experimenting with in excess of twenty HF2000 tweeters, I have now settled upon a matched pair for my original 2015 refurbished 66s. I suspect this will be as a good as it gets when it comes to high-frequency pair matching.

1-metre FR before:
50301817581_123e6505ae_o.jpg

1-metre FR after:
50301969567_7e0993e930_o.jpg

This is how the new driver combo measures from the listening seat before & after EQ:

Listening seat FR before EQ:
50301817481_c4689c57a0_o.jpg

Listening seat FR after EQ:
50301969592_94265ef5dd_o.jpg

Listening seat average FR before & after EQ:
50301969512_b6f7d1334b_o.jpg

Was it worth the effort? I'm hardly going to say no, am I??!! The latest tweeters have smoother FR and less output than the previous ones and to my ears integrate better with the mids and draw less attention to themselves. Not a "night and day" difference, but still worth the hours spent listening to and measuring numerous pairings. Imaging has become even more stable and holographic as a result.

I've also changed how I listen to these speakers. The plywood plinths have been temporarily ditched and I now have them sitting directly on the carpet but tilted backwards. I've discovered this provides exactly the same benefits to midrange-treble cohesion as elevating the enclosures on 250mm high plinths, but with the added benefit of making it FAR easier to move the speakers out of the way when I want to listen to my Tannoys! :) Ideally I'd love my Tannoys to be on castors so that I could wheel them out of the room and place the Dittons closer to the wall, as the bass sounds a little anaemic to my ears (I suspect it's being adversely affected by SBIR, but that's a topic for another day!...).

50302216687_d96a601e04_o.jpg

Last edited:
Just to think that at one time, you could buy these speakers in Comet. I bought 44s new for £160 way back when,

Superb thread, thanks for sharing. My brother bought a new pair of Ditton 44 in the mid seventies and I always enjoyed listening to them. He still has them, but unfortunately they haven't been used for many years.
44 are nice, they offer 90% of what a 66 does.

Maybe sacrificing a pair of 44s is worth it for that last 10%!
Let's hope so as there's no way I can revert and do an A/B comparison now that the 44 cabs are in landfill and the crossovers are 200 miles away! :D

On a serious note, I had the 44s in my possession for about 2 years before I gutted them. They were a lovely sounding pair of speakers, REALLY easy to listen to and pleasing on the ear. However, as a detail-chaser I ultimately found the the colouration in the upper-bass / lower-midrange too detrimental to transparency. The 66s suffer from the same issue to some extent but it's not as noticeable as the 44s also had cabinet coloration to contend with. Besides, I'm a sucker for a dome midrange driver!

PS - Before anyone disses me for parting out a heritage pair of speakers, the 44 enclosures were in pretty beat up shape. About a third of the lip on one cab was broken off, - looked like it had been devoured by a Rottweiler! However, I have no excuse for gutting a pair of B&O 5700 and 5702 other than being told by my parents I wasn't allowed to bring any more speakers into the house until I cleared some floorspace. I regret doing that as it would have been interesting to refurbish the crossovers and pit them against my 66s and see which came out on top...

advertisement

Back