advertisement

An appology - a reason and some advice

I'd buy some Epos ES 11s and dedicated stands. Can't go wrong.

Just what I was thinking. Get them for a good price and if you don't like them sell them on.

Proviso is that the room you are using doesn't have boom problem at 50Hz and you can get them at least 40cm from the back wall. Also you must get them with their own matching open frame stands.

Simon

My own using Jordan JX92 in Dual reflex enclosure.
Michell Mycro and Techno Arm.

Rob

BTW any further idea why I can login in on Audiosmile forums but not post or PM?

I'll check that for you.
The registration process also requires an email to Admin requesting membership.
If you PM me your username I'll get the access sorted for you.

JX92 are excellent in a good cabinet.
What's the cartridge on the TT?

I have found cb and olive naim to be pretty over the top, they have their fans but I reckon the forward nature of their sound will not suit metal cones, if a good amp like the arcam doesn't suit then the likely fault lies with the speakers

MP11 is a nice cartridge but not exactly noted for dynamics and resolution.

A Denon DL110 on the Michell will bring about a big improvement, totally dwarfing anything possible with amp swapping - some tube designs accepted.

I guess part of the nostalgia that sticks was the full width Naim stuff I heard but the small, is it chrome bumper, looks awesome.

Do all the Naim combination really sound vastly different from each other?

In my experience, yes - especially when changing preamps. Back in the day when I owned the NAC 72, I was blown away by the progressive improvements when a) adding a Hicap; then b) going to a NAC 82; then c) adding a second Hicap; then d) going to a NAC 52.

Only objection - the box count kept rising. With the NAC 82, I ended up with six boxes for amplification! (the 82, the NAPSC, 2 Hicaps, 2 135s). It was all too much really.

advertisement

Back