advertisement

An appology - a reason and some advice

Adam N

pfm Member
So I've been tearing over the audio forums spamming everyone so my appologies for those threads and those I've badgered over PM. I should have been more considered so I appologise. I should think before I skip from one amp to another merrily turning my affections like a cheap tart.

In way of explanation. I feel it time to change my amp, why? Nostalgia for my youth when hearing the likes of Naim and Linn. So to the wherefores:

Why am I changing?
A perceived lack of resolution and dynamics in the mid range, drums vocals etc.

What am I changing from?
An Arcam A22 FMJ

What are my speakers?
More tricky as they are bespoke, full range, metal drivers in a bass reflex enclosure. The nearest commercial equivalent, perhaps Monitor Audio Silver series a few years back.

What have I considered so far?
Naim Nait 3
Naim 90/92
Naim 102/180 (though beyond current budget)
Rega Brio 3
Rega Elicit (well beyond budget)
Quad 34/306

I am in the unfortunate position that I can't really audition and have to sell my Arcam before purchase.

My goals
An amplifier that is musical (is that quantifiable?) OK fills in the details.
One with a good phono stage if possible.
One (and difficult without hearing) that could compliment my speakers.

So not asking much but am I heading in the right direction with my shortlist?

I've never liked the nait 3,or 90/92 or 180.
The speakers if like some ma could be on the bright side so i'd be very careful matching with a forward amp.

If your going naim i'd go for a nait 5.

I'd omit the Nait 3 (& probably 90/92) and 34/306 from the list (especially the 306 - go for 405 or later), 44 is rather good.

What about 72/140?

I'd omit the Nait 3 (& probably 90/92) and 34/306 from the list (especially the 306 - go for 405 or later), 44 is rather good.

What about 72/140?

I guess part of the nostalgia that sticks was the full width Naim stuff I heard but the small, is it chrome bumper, looks awesome.

Do all the Naim combination really sound vastly different from each other?

There shouldn't be a problem with the Arcam, pretty solid amps. You sure it's not the speakers ?
What is your sources and cables ?

The 306 is later than a 405. It's effectively a smaller 606, the last of the Walker period Quad amps, and considered by many to be better sounding than the 405 too.

If 102/180 is beyond your budget try 72/180 perhaps although I've no idea whether it would be a good match for your speakers. I ran that combo driving first heybrook HB2R's then SBL's for several years

Paul,

If you do end up looking at a 92/90 combo try hold out for for a 92R (remote control version.)

Naim made a few revisions besides the addition of remote control which improved sound quality over the original 92. It's very close in performance to a 72.

regards,

dave

P.S. my vote goes for a 102 if the budget allows and your source is top quality.

As a recipient of one of those PMs, my advice is to keep the Arcam as nothing on the proposed list will significantly impact the areas found wanting.

What are the loudspeakers?
Vinyl is mentioned, what's the vinyl front end?

I preferred the Nap 110 to a 140, although that may have been service issues?

They are cheap enough to split into mono's if your inclined towards DIY ?

I've got a naim nac92r (no cables or remote though) I'd be willing to lend you for an audition if you are local and can get hold of an amp from somewhere else.

I've had a look at your website (very good btw) and think the stands on the highballs may be part of the problem. Whilst looking good they don't look all that solid, have you considered filling the legs with ballast or adding spikes to the feet. That would go a long way to tightening up the sound.

Speakers are rated at 88dBS efficiency. There is no crossover, they are wide-band drivers, with a simple Baffle Step Circuit.

I'm using the floor standers so the stands in this case aren't the problem.

Source is Arcam DV29, Michell Mycro with Techno Arm and iPad for MP3.

I've used Rotel in the past but not a pre/power combo and thought it very similar in presentation to the Arcam, very good though.

A poorly designed or textbook crossover network could easily cause this.

No crossovers in the speakers as it's a single driver design.

But yes perhaps the speakers are the weak link and perhaps all of this is driven by nostalgia. My reason for look after all is a fond memory of an old Naim system in the 90's I listened to briefly at a HiFi show!

As a recipient of one of those PMs, my advice is to keep the Arcam as nothing on the proposed list will significantly impact the areas found wanting.

What are the loudspeakers?
Vinyl is mentioned, what's the vinyl front end?

My own using Jordan JX92 in Dual reflex enclosure.
Michell Mycro and Techno Arm.

Rob

BTW any further idea why I can login in on Audiosmile forums but not post or PM?

advertisement

Back