advertisement

An amp for all seasons ?

the loaf

pfm Member
Got 3 power amps (buying is easy selling is not), a 12 watt set valve (lowther rebuild), exposure dr 4 dual mono solid state , woodside 50 watt push pull valve ,(pre is a woodside valve). Linn analogue and cheap cdp. Speakers are vintage Tannoy silver 12s in compact boxes on stands. Is there such a thing as 'an amp for all seasons' ? ie something that can do justice to all types of music ?
I recently attended a Strawbs gig in a relatively small to medium venue, 3 musicians all acoustic (via pa amps) plus occasional synth. On playing some early strawbs vinyl afterwards it became very clear that the SET amp is clearly the most accurate in manifesting the Strawbs 'sound'. I mean bang on the beauty and emotional impact of the vocals and instruments. The woodside sounds like the band are professional to a fault ie clean, clear,rhythmic refined singing but lacking 'harmonics(?)' , the exposure seems to approach the SET for emotional impact but sounds slightly 'dead' ie lacking live energy compared to the valves. I then put on John Martyn 'live at the hanging Lamp' lp, again to my ears Martyn's vocals and chatting sounds the most authentic ie conveying nervous spontanaeity etc, via the SET, conversely the woodside even made his burp sound almost refined however Martyn's acoustic guitar sounds far more authentic and tuneful /rhythmic via the woodside while the choppy electric guitar is positively hypnotic , the SET just cannot reproduce the guitar to this level sounding pleasant at best etc . Again the exposure does a very good job of combining both the positive aspects of the valves without exceeding their individual strengths.
I tried other types of music (classical ,jazz , rock,solo piano etc) with similar results , no one amp consistently excelling in all types of music, the exposure seems to be the best compromise and also appears to have a similar timbral balance to the SET, the woodside seems to bring out rhythmic dance structures/detail and refinement to the slight expense of timbre and harmony (it is 5 to 6 ohm output which may affect the tonal quality of the 15 ohm speakers).
Is there such thing as an amp that can excel with all types of music ?

For most people there is but for box changers there isn't. A slight exaggeration but I hope you understand my point?

For most people there is but for box changers there isn't. A slight exaggeration but I hope you understand my point?

I don't see your point.

Tailoring equipment for given music genres is a recipe for disaster for two reasons:

1) You effectively caricature the given musical genres.

2) You narrow your musical horizons.

You need an amp that plays music, all music. You need an amp that can do power, subtlety, rhythm, harmony, dynamics and texture - the lot, basically because lots of music has all of those things that need to be faithfully reproduced.

I bought this in 2009 and it has since been upgraded a couple of times by the guy who originally designed and built it back in 1997.

KT120s are fantastic valves for both effortless power and incredible insight and subtlety.

Tube Distinctions KT120 Copper amp. 40 Watts of pure class A in push-pull.

Is there an amp for all seasons? Yes. I've used the same amp for 15 odd years and the last set for much the same time. I haven't tailored my amp to anything other than making a musical sound I like. I still hate jazz.

My point is, as I said, for most people the amp they have does most or everything they want. Box changers are always chasing something. One time it's a big SS class A for the slam, then a flea valve for the delicacy and then onto a class d etc. look at some peoples amplifier histories.

And I thought I was making a light hearted comment.

I have recently been reading about a power amp made by Job called the 225. It supposed to have attributes combining valve and ss. Sounds perfect but I don't know whether it is true or not as I have not heard it. It is made by Goldmund and their gear is astronomicaly priced. The price for the Job 225 is only £1000 maybe a little more but is supposed to be high end.
There is no fancy casework and minimal connections.
You can only buy factory direct so no middle man.

It maybe worth looking into.

I've just bought an XTZ Class-A100D3, fantastic amp for the money, sounds great with digital music i.e internet radio and FM and the TV, the phono stage is average and my own phono amp doesn't gel with it but it's still an excellent amp for about £400 second hand, IMO.

Wonderful remote BTW.

I'd like to suggest that there may be an amp/speaker combination for all seasons. Your choice of speaker will, to some extent at least, dictate the amps which will work best with it, and that, in turn, may limit the performance of amps which might otherwise do the business for you. If you've found the amp which does it for you, it may be because you've found the speakers which do it for you, and the amp which does it for those speakers.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this, but I offer it for consideration. Discuss.

Ok thanks all, I reckon Sue Pertwee-Tyr has a good point , the relationship between amp and speakers (room?) sounds about right, a bit like getting a sympathetic rapport between a cartridge and tonearm.

An amp drives a speaker and a speaker makes demands of that amp. There are amplifiers that can be matched to just about any loudspeaker but few of them work equally well in all installations IME.

I'd like to suggest that there may be an amp/speaker combination for all seasons. Your choice of speaker will, to some extent at least, dictate the amps which will work best with it, and that, in turn, may limit the performance of amps which might otherwise do the business for you. If you've found the amp which does it for you, it may be because you've found the speakers which do it for you, and the amp which does it for those speakers.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this, but I offer it for consideration. Discuss.

My view is that there are amps that can work with pretty much any speaker, due to having enough power and current drive capacity, and then there are amps that have limitations that show up with harder-to-drive speakers.

advertisement

Back