advertisement

[WTD] Amptastic Mini

deltaunit

pfm Member
Would quite like to revisit this little thing to compare against the modern Fosi TI interpretations.

Does anyone have one in the cupboard getting dusty? Preferably looking for the later one with the higher voltage ps but WHY?

If it has ‘synergy’ with the rest of your system, it might be the best £120 you’ll ever spend. Was for me!

I have the Fosi V3 monos ordered and they should be arriving very soon. I've also previously had the V3 original and have previously owned two Amptastic Mini One amps, but I never had Fosi and Amptastic at the same time.

I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts of the comparisons if you do pick up a Mini One. Clearly Fosi and Amptatsic are very different for power output, but are both Class D although with different chips and implementation. I rate the Mini One very highly - it's a cracking little amp. Similarly I also like the original V3, hence my blind punt on the monos. But it would be good to hear a review of sorts of both together side-by-side.

Tangent aside. Good luck picking up an Amptastic.

Not knocking The Fosi V3 in any way - I compared Mini with V3 side by side. It’s only a preference, but in terms of musicality, I think Mini is smoother with a better integrated top end. It horses for courses!

I have the Fosi V3 monos ordered and they should be arriving very soon. I've also previously had the V3 original and have previously owned two Amptastic Mini One amps, but I never had Fosi and Amptastic at the same time.

I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts of the comparisons if you do pick up a Mini One. Clearly Fosi and Amptatsic are very different for power output, but are both Class D although with different chips and implementation. I rate the Mini One very highly - it's a cracking little amp. Similarly I also like the original V3, hence my blind punt on the monos. But it would be good to hear a review of sorts of both together side-by-side.

Tangent aside. Good luck picking up an Amptastic.
We've been trialling Amptastic Mini's v Fosi V3 v 2x ZA3 in mono mode. Unsurprising, but we like the Mini best with higher efficiency speakers, and the Fosi's with lower efficiency. Currently Mini's in use as summer subs for valve amps and the Fosi's in office/shelf set-ups; these rough and ready JX 92s/ Fosi V3, (now moved onto a suitable shelf!), and the ZA3's driving Kans. Both work pretty well, quite spicy, remind me of my old 47 Labs/ Andy Bartha gear. Should have the V3 PFFB monos arriving soon as well.

Amptastic by Neil Tully, on Flickr

Should have the V3 PFFB monos arriving soon as well.
Sorry OP for thread drift.

@nmtjb I'm guessing you too are also on the V3 mono kickstarter. Have you had your delivery email yet with tracking and expected timeline?

I got in early and was in the 200's of all the backers, but so far have heard nothing at all. I can see from the kickstarter page there's a comments section and loads of backers with much higher numbers (and therefore signed up later than me) already have delivery info.

Therefore, wondering if UK is later in the delivery order.

I was fortunate to buy one of the last ones with upgraded power supply.
Probably mentioned this before; it replaced a SS amp at 30 times it’s cost and also a valve amp at 250 times it’s cost. Game over!

In a coincidence, I'm pretty sure the one (above) was originally mine. I already had one and bought another - one of the very last ones for sale last year, intended for my sons room. But it never got used. Then someone else on here bought it, again unused by them, then @brennyaudio .

So that one is of the very last new amps ever sold by Amptastic (there were only a few left when I bought it) and is not very old at all. They have since run out of TriPath chips, so there will be no more new ones.
Yes it was yours and I bought it from "someone else" unused and other than testing it I haven't used it either. I almost brought it to the bake off in Chichester we were both at recently. It would have been interesting to compare it to the very low powered valve amp we heard there with the hOrns speakers.

I think it would have sounded great on the end of Brooks speakers. I liked them a lot!

There you go then OP. You've scored a nearly new Amptastic, probably as new as you could manage to buy anywhere.

In a similar experiment I'll bring along the V3 monos once they've arrived to one of John's future BO's. It would be interesting to see how they fare.
I hope you are keeping well.
The OP had already found one. All good here and enjoying my newly acquired Quad ESL989s. See you at another bake off soon.

I found one on facebook before anyone responded. It's just arrived. I haven't connected it. Describe my recent luck...

IMG-2807.jpg

advertisement

Back