advertisement

amplifier for NEAT Ulitimatum XLS speaker

Checking around the web, Neat Ultimatums are run with Classe' integrated, Moon audio, Conrad Johnson, Parasound, Linn amongst others and beside the contenders named on this post. So lots of choices, not just Naim, Exposure and Bryston. Take your time and find what sound combo you like.

Regards

Giles

thanks guys, the naim is not the only choice, i suppose some other brand should do. the only xls need is more powerful and control

The Naim kit mentioned above will do very nicely, but let me offer a suggestion based on an experience I had quite early in the life of my business. Neat was the very first brand I took on when I moved my business from selling secondhand Naim equipment to selling brand new equipment from a variety of manufacturers. Not long after that I became an Exposure retailer.

When my initial order of demo stock arrived from Exposure, I set about trying out all of the different amplifiers in their various possible combinations. I tried a few different speakers, but amongst them were a pair of Neat Ultimatum XLS and a pair of Ultimatum XL10s. Also in the demo room at the time was a three box Naim pre/power set comprising a NAC 282, HiCap DR and NAP 250 DR. I used this as a sort of reference to compare with other equipment coming through the door.

At that time, the top Exposure amplifier after the limited run MCX system was a three box set comprising the 3010S2D preamp and a pair of 3010S2 mono power amps. When it came to comparing them side-by-side with the Naim set, I was very impressed. Although they sounded somewhat different from one another, I found it hard to pick a preference between them, despite the much higher price tag of the Naim set. That was until I plugged them both into the XL10s, when the Exposure set seemed to leave the Naim set behind.

I am not sure how to account for the difference. The XL10 is a rather unusual design with nine drivers per side, which probably adds up to a rather complex impedance curve. Perhaps it was the power advantage of the Exposure set or perhaps there was some other factor in play.

If I was to repeat this experiment today, I would use the 5010 preamp and 5010 mono power amps, and I would expect the gap to be even wider. You might like to consider adding these and the 3510 preamp and 3510 mono power amps (successors to the 3010S2D and 3010S2) to your audition list.

Have you or anyone else heard the Neat Ultimate XLS and XL6 side by side in a not too small room (30-35m2). I hesitate between the two for a “little collection“ of different big 90ies Farlowe Exposure gear.
I have listened to the XLS some time, but never to the XL6.
Technically the XL6 should have an advantage, as the middle driver is just for the middle and not an isobaric construction, and there is a deep-frequency unit, just for this range, in isobaric setup. Middle and deep fq have dedicated enclosures in the box. And it has a stable feet, needs 2-3‘ shorter speaker cable, etc…

The room I used for my Exposure / Naim comparisons measured approximately 6.5m x 5m x 3.5m. I have listened to the XL6 in the same room and I have compared the XLS and XL6 side-by-side in other rooms. Their voicing is identical, which I think is to be expected. The XL6 goes a bit lower and its bottom end is perhaps a fraction cleaner.

I have the Momentum and have tried a number of amps from Rega , naim, etc and the best result I’ve had is from crown Xls. What it lacks in top end sparkle it makes up for in the bass and is very impressive.

Very left of field but for the price it’s worth trying.

Momentum 3is here, amongst others. 10 years now. Used in rotation. Back then in an all Naim system the Neats were/ are fantastic. Swapped out my much loved 135s for a Densen B330+. Wow. What an amp. Sold my 135s. It was a wrench though.
The 330 is as rare as hens teeth mind you. And Densen situation was fraught I believe. Now been bought over and Server issues sorted ? Back in action soon.
330 and Neat isobaric speakers. Marvelous.

I have the Momentum and have tried a number of amps from Rega , naim, etc and the best result I’ve had is from crown Xls. What it lacks in top end sparkle it makes up for in the bass and is very impressive.

Very left of field but for the price it’s worth trying.
What Naim amps were you using?

advertisement

Back