advertisement

Amp for Obs2

I never understood why people recommend Dynavector amps with Shahinian. I wasted a lot of time trying to like L300/HX1.2 with my Mk1 Obs.

Fair enough and each to there own. I like many others won't be going back to a Linn /Naim system after owning Well Tempered/Dynavector/Shahinian and my hearing dictated that not a hifi magazine review.

I wonder if mains quality was a contributing factor? The DV / Obs 2 combinations I've heard have been extremely musical. Certainly not harsh in the treble. However they were revealing / sensitive to power loom used.

I wonder if mains quality was a contributing factor? The DV / Obs 2 combinations I've heard have been extremely musical. Certainly not harsh in the treble. However they were revealing / sensitive to power loom used.
You may have hit on something. I recently started using a star wired (live, neutral and earth) mains block fed by a dedicated circuit and it has made a big improvement to the sound.

Rob - we may be using the same device. Heretic Copper Star? It has made a substantial difference in my set-up as well. More than it should. Atlas power cables also seem to work well.

Rob - we may be using the same device. Heretic Copper Star? It has made a substantial difference in my set-up as well. More than it should. Atlas power cables also seem to work well.

Hi mate. Did you buy from Audio Council? I was impressed with what I heard from the Heretic Dave dem'd so I'm not suprised that you are happy with the improvement.
I decided to construct my own mains block. I'm a Joiner by trade and enjoy a project like this. I used 3 layers of 6" x 1" solid oak instead of the Hereric ply. A furutech IEC inlet feeds a cooker socket with 4 mm solid core then 5 crabtree switch less sockets are individually wired off that with 2.5 mm solid core. All earths wired back to a copper earth bolt in star config. A sparky friend signed it off. After 2 weeks its nicely burnt in and made the same sort of difference that the Heretic made in the dem room. Total cost was £70 (with 6 hours labour) which is a nice saving on the £400 that the Heretic costs. I use a JPS AC+ power cable from wall socket to block with standard kettle leads from gear to block. I'm looking to dem the Atlas cables at AC soon.

Well, well, well. I have been using the Heretic copper mains block. I bought it simply because it was neat and I like birch (!), nothing to do with the sound. But I have to say, it does seem to 'clean up' the sound, and I speak as someone who is rather doubtful about all the mains stuff. Mind you, I haven't bothered with any A/B checks or anything like that. So if I am imagining any improvement, that's fine. I wasn't expecting one anyway. But I have a feeling that it does do something useful.

paskinn,

Its a fare chunk of change to pay for a nice piece of wood. :)

For what ever reason - IMO - it was a cost effective upgrade in my set-up. Very happy with what it is doing / not doing.

Rob,

Yes - purchased from Audio Counsel. I'm not a joiner - (work in IT) - so I suspect I'm safer with the purchasing approach. It is also nice to drop by and see the Audio Counsel folks.

If you haven't already - have a listen to the Atlas mains cables.

I have heard them mate but in conjunction with the block. After I've heard them in isolation I will report back.

Linus, I have an older, well kept up Plinius 8200(integrated) that does a fantastic job on my Ob2's. It is indeed a bargain at used prices, and if you look at several of the used gear sites, you may just find one.

Where may I ask did you get your demo of the Dynavectors? Just curious as there aren't many dealers that I am aware of in the US, two and the distributor as far as I know. Good for you for being able to do that demo, I too would love to hear the Dyna's. But for now, staying with the Plinius.

Tim

Hi Tim,
I think I've seen you on AA.(BenE) Had a demo through Don Better Audio. I believe dealers who stock the phono stage can get the amps as well. The importer is in St. Louis. Good luck.

Well I went with the Dynavector hx100 and l300 Ii combo.
Thanks all,
L

You chose well. However I believe that the HX100 can be bridged so maybe you'll get an itch to scratch!

My 559 could be bridged so I did get an itch found a second one and now run the two bridged one per channel. So thats two 559s at 42Kg each.

Go on you know two HX100 will sound better.........

Cheers,

DV

Why all the focus on weight, watt etc..

the speakers, yep they need juice but can't for the best see why a mega amp sound better than small watt, its the first watt that Count, isn't it ?

Why all the focus on weight, watt etc..

the speakers, yep they need juice but can't for the best see why a mega amp sound better than small watt, its the first watt that Count, isn't it ?

Yes and no. Equal-loudness contour shows that for a note in the bass say 20Hz to sound the same volume as a note in the treble say 2KHz the SPL has to be 40-50dB greater. What does that mean in amp Watts? Say the treble note is being driven at 100mW like in a lickle trannie radio thats 0.1W. For that 20Hz note to sound as loud it will need 1000W. Thats why yer teeth rattle on deep organ notes not to mention the churches foundations.

I think!

Here is a graph http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...cfUs2YHc-IhQfknoD4Dg&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAQ&dur=2290

Cheers,

DV

Good on you Linus. I hope you enjoy the Dyna's! That is nice to know about who else can get the amps, did not realize that. I knew Toffco was the distributor though, and I have also talked with a dealer in St. Louis on the Dynavectors and Shahinian as well. Indeed, one of those HX's is enough to break the bank....Keep us posted on how things go. Tim

PS-yes, that was me on AA.

Did you get a manual with the HX100? I ask because info is almost impossible to get. I am interested in the weight because I can longer move let alone lift my 559s also the dimensions. Info on the output power and whether they can really be bridged would be useful too if you have it.

Cheers,

DV

PS Whats the price your side of the pond?

advertisement

Back