advertisement

Amp explosion!

The 606 has protection, so should be OK. I also have speaker switching.

This is why it's not a good idea for me to have valve amps. I suspect my 'quite loud' might be someone else's bloody deafening. Amazingly, my hearing got a compete bill of good health recently.
I work with a lovely big JBL PA 2-3 nights a week so my idea of ‘quite loud’ is probably also most people’s deafening… I don’t tend to thrash the hifi too much though, I get my fix with this lot… definitely does loud without a struggle!

2Ullyfq.jpg

nBmlkfL.png

I work with a lovely big JBL PA 2-3 nights a week so my idea of ‘quite loud’ is probably also most people’s deafening… I don’t tend to thrash the hifi too much though, I get my fix with this lot… definitely does loud without a struggle!

2Ullyfq.jpg

nBmlkfL.png

I would, but I think even my very laid back wife would object. :)

The 606 has protection, so should be OK. I also have speaker switching.

This is why it's not a good idea for me to have valve amps. I suspect my 'quite loud' might be someone else's bloody deafening. Amazingly, my hearing got a compete bill of good health recently.

A valve amp couldn't go DC into your woofers and valve's don't have a secondary breakdown failure mode which is probably what caused this.

Have a Quad 405 with Netaudio boards which I have been using with Kef 104.2s. Listening pretty loud, but not excessively and Today crackling noise, smoke and this happened. Never had this happen to me before. Was listening to a mono album and the other channel is fine. I don't have another amp to test my speakers. Anyone know if that speaker might be toast?

PXL-20220814-100624255.jpg

The OPA627 is a very high performance device and requires a reasonable knowledge to implement properly to avoid instability which may have been the failure mode.

@Arkless Electronics As someone that knows what they're taking about, do you think the 104.2 that was connected to this channel when it failed will be toast?

If it took full DC for more than a couple of seconds or so then yes it's toast but we don't know that this happened.
Others have described up thread what to check but basically stick yer hand in through the port with a torch and check that the bass drivers are free to move and without making scraping noises. If then should be alright. You can back this up with the battery test up thread but if it passes the first bit here than prob it's OK.

If in an early 405 case then there should be a DC protection module behind the speaker terminals. On later models it was on the PCB. What you have there is not really a 405 but a no holds barred modified version. The lack of fuses is a bad idea! The T0220 package not on a heatsink could be an SCR for DC protection as on proper 405... or maybe not... There may or may not be Safe Operating Area protection on the board but any amp with only one pair of output transistors and capable of 100W into 8R is not suitable for thrashing into 4R. This is why Quad were so conservative with the SOA protection on the original MkI 405.

If it took full DC for more than a couple of seconds or so then yes it's toast but we don't know that this happened.
Others have described up thread what to check but basically stick yer hand in through the port with a torch and check that the bass drivers are free to move and without making scraping noises. If then should be alright. You can back this up with the battery test up thread but if it passes the first bit here than prob it's OK.

If in an early 405 case then there should be a DC protection module behind the speaker terminals. On later models it was on the PCB. What you have there is not really a 405 but a no holds barred modified version. The lack of fuses is a bad idea! The T0220 package not on a heatsink could be an SCR for DC protection as on proper 405... or maybe not... There may or may not be Safe Operating Area protection on the board but any amp with only one pair of output transistors and capable of 100W into 8R is not suitable for thrashing into 4R. This is why Quad were so conservative with the SOA protection on the original MkI 405.
Pretty much what I thought. Luckily, the drivers all feel fine. And I honestly didn't think it was THAT loud, guv.

Such things exist:)
Absolutely… I’m sure a trio of Prima Evo 400s would really boogie in my active system… so would my electricity meter!

Love or hate Linn power amps (I know where you stand on this), they don’t dissipate a lot of heat in use unless you’re thrashing them to within an inch of their lives… hard to do in a three way active setup, your ears fold first, 6 x 90w into 8r is plenty!

More importantly, I'm not going to be able to listen to the mint first German (Deutsche Grammophon) press of Sabbath's Volume 4 with Vertigo Spiral label that landed on Friday until Rob gets my 606 back to me.

If anyone's interested, this is the track that killed my amp ... (Mint stereo first US pressing, of course)

Pretty much what I thought. Luckily, the drivers all feel fine. And I honestly didn't think it was THAT loud, guv.
Sometimes amps just sh!t themselves… one of my first amps as a teenager was a Technics SU-8080 (quite a high end late 70s/early 80s integrated), I was just listening to the radio at low volume whilst studying (for a C&G electronic servicing diploma ironically) when it suddenly fell silent and started releasing its magic smoke… was fun to fix because the original transistors were long obsolete, got it fixed at college though!

Sometimes amps just sh!t themselves… one of my first amps as a teenager was a Technics SU-8080 (quite a high end late 70s/early 80s integrated), I was just listening to the radio at low volume whilst studying (for a C&G electronic servicing diploma ironically) when it suddenly fell silent and started releasing its magic smoke… was fun to fix because the original transistors were long obsolete, got it fixed at college though!
That's a coincidence. I bought a SU 8080 off e bay for a song for a mate of mine about 15 years ago. It's still going strong in his workshop. Big beastie.

That's a coincidence. I bought a SU 8080 off e bay for a song for a mate of mine about 15 years ago. It's still going strong in his workshop. Big beastie.
It was a nice old powerhouse of an amp, I replaced it with an Arcam Alpha 8r because I’d got it in my head that British kit was better, and the smokey Technics was a catalyst to make me go and buy one… it wasn’t better, although to be fair the Arcam was £380 in 2000… the Technics cost about that in the late 70s, when an LP12 with a decent arm and cartridge also cost that much, it wasn’t a fair contest.

It can happen like that yep.

I don't give a monkeys about the amp, my 606 will be back from Amplabs next week. It's my near mint low mileage 104/2's I'm worried about!

A quick inspection indicates no smell from the cabs and no untoward resistance on the mid and bass drivers, so I hope I've got away with this.

The Netaudio boards are supposed to be as good into 4 ohms as the 520 and whilst this happened loud, it was way below what 100w into 4 ohms should sound like.

The original Quad 405 is capacitor coupled to the speaker so if the net boards are the same it should provide a high degree of protection, it’s likely they will have ditched that arrangement like I did with mine.

The original Quad 405 is capacitor coupled to the speaker so if the net boards are the same it should provide a high degree of protection, it’s likely they will have ditched that arrangement like I did with mine.

Eh??? No it's not! Are you thinking of the 303? 306 et al have a kind of "floating ground" with a "synthesised 0V" for the circuitry which can protect the speakers but not the 405

advertisement

Back