advertisement

Amp and music player occasionally cutting out

Brian S

pfm Member
Utterly confused - as usual.

About a month ago I set up a secondary system. 95% of the time a great success. I am using a Bryston BDP 1 into an Audiolab M one amp/dac. During the period of a month the amp. has suddenly turned itself off about five times and the BDP 1 has also turned itself off about five times. These two events do not appear to have any connection . They have happened at different times and no other electrical disturbances seem to have occurred. Both the amp and the BDP start up again and continue to play. Any incite would be gratefully received.

Brian S

To my mind, ‘turns itself off’ means that the whole unit is powered down, whereas ‘cutting out’ just means that the music stops. Can you clarify what exactly happens here?

To my mind, ‘turns itself off’ means that the whole unit is powered down, whereas ‘cutting out’ just means that the music stops. Can you clarify what exactly happens here?
Yes, thanks.
In the case of the amp., it went back to standbye.
The BDP lost the music files which had to be reloaded. It did not return to standbye.

Yes, thanks.
In the case of the amp., it went back to standbye.
The BDP lost the music files which had to be reloaded. It did not return to standbye.
They don't have IR remotes perchance? If so something like a car door opening may reflect sunlight from its glass window and operate as a remote. Even passing vehicles can reflect sunlight from quite a distance away.

Cheers,

DV

A silly suggestion, but have you got LED Xmas lights in the same room? Most of the modern ones that display different brightness by driving them at high frequency with a PWM signal. It's not inconceivable that they're generating 'fake' remote commands inadvertently.

Thanks for input. The problem does indeed seem to be the result of some external influence. The BDP has been trouble free for several days; the amp went into stanbye yesterday as I moved across the room. Several minutes cavorting around the room failed to acheive a further cut out. At the current rate of infrequency, I will refrain from obsessing about it. Thanks, again.

Brian S

advertisement

Back