advertisement

AMG Teatro MC cartridge

YNWOAN

100% Analogue
I've just come across the AMG Teatro cartridge and am curious if any pfm contributors have first hand experience of it?

AAMGMCTRO.jpg

Apparently it has a two piece titanium body machined in the US and a Japanese generator that uses separate coils. Does anybody know any specs for this cartridge (output is said to be 0.4mV), or who makes the generator etc.

SPECIFICATIONS

BODY: Titanium 6Al4vEli, Tiodized Type III, tapped for 2.5mm mounting hardware, 1⁄2” spacing GENERATOR: Separate coils per channel (V type), wound with Ohno cast (OCC) mono-crystal high-purity oxygen-free copper wire. Neodymium magnets, special, soft magnetic alloy yoke
STYLUS GUARD: Machined aluminum from solid billet
CANTILEVER: Solid Boron, .26mm diameter, STYLUS: 40 x 7μm Line contact (Ogura)
OUTPUT VOLTAGE: 0.4mV (1kHz @ 5cm/sec.)
TRACKING FORCE: 1.8 – 2.2 grams (2.0 optimal)
INTERNAL COIL RESISTANCE: 12Ω
RECOMMENDED RESISTIVE LOADING RANGE: 120 Ω – 47k Ω, (120 – 500Ω optimal range)
DYNAMIC COMPLIANCE: 18 x 10-6 cm/dyne
WEIGHT: 10.95 grams

Nope just googled the specs, I've got an IQ3 why would I need any other cart :)

Always intrigued why cartridge manufacturers don't provide a parallel surface at the front in order to assist with accurate alignment.

At least it has parallel sides I guess. Have you never encountered this cartridge on your travels Roger?

Ah, I did wonder - I'm not really up on the current Lyra range, do they use a similar dual coil technique?

I think it is an Audio Technica. Apart of the PA Ogura stylus the spec is very un-Lyra.

Wow! An architectural masterpiece in sea-green hue. Actually, the spec's alone suggest it's not at the lower end of m/coils; boron cantilever a big hint, maybe.

I think it is an Audio Technica. Apart of the PA Ogura stylus the spec is very un-Lyra.

Yes, the latest OC9 MkIII carries a line contact tip of the fatter profile, non Micro Ridge varety so perhaps its based on that. Kind of the same shape too!

Still 7um on the minor radius is too fat for a high end cartridge and will give inner groove tracing distortion. I wouldn't buy it for that alone.
If the stylus/groove fit is compromised, nothing else can make it right.

Cartridges should be rectangular blocks.

There are a few Japanese cartridge manufacturers that make for other brands. It could be from My Sonic Lab.

I had a Teatro on my AMG Viella, before I sold both. It was a very nice cartridge, very neutral. It had been preceded by a Lyra Delos and Kleos, and a Benz Ruby Z. It was warmer and more natural than the Lyras (which I always find too bright and lean) but with a little less warmth than the Benz. Dynamically it was also in between the Lyras and the Benz - ie dynamic enough without overdoing it. I liked it and - not suprisingly - it was a good match for the Viella turntable. But when I sold the Viella, the Teatro went with it.

IMG_1646.jpg

Both innards and specs appear to match the Audio Technica ATOC9/iii. If the Teatro is indeed a dressed up AT, then this is the second German company (after Clearaudio) to source AT mechanicals for its cartridges. I’m sure the fancy body will improve the sound to some extent, but they surely are charging a lot of money for it. Unless there’s something really special here, it’s hard to justify the added cost over the stock OC9.

advertisement

Back