advertisement

Americana..Shite?

He's getting world acclaim, something he didn't seem to seek back in the day. Those two and Michael Stipe are the ones most famous to come out of the Metro-East area in Illinois probably 20 minutes east of St. Louis, MO, which is west of us across the Mississippi River. Jeff and Jay, out of Millstadt, IL, by way of Belleville, where I live. Stipe came from Collinsville, IL, but it took a long time for him to admit it. He liked the cool factor of pretending coming from Athens, GA which was way more desirable than Collinsville. It took him many years to come to grips with this place, it had a profound effect on him, I believe. He was my girlfriend's best friend. He and her loved Mick Jagger.
cool stories ....
do you know the young guys gringo star i think they are from around your way?

Aaarrg ... Americana....... mmmm.

It's a very difficult term to pin down. It will mean so many different things to different people. You can browse under it on some websites and find good stuff and on others find nothing but piles of pis, prompting you to browse under similar next door categories and finding good stuff. So it is a term I dislike really. I think it's better to browse around all the related categores and when you find stuff you like , link it to people with your enthusiasm, while refraining to too narrowly pigeon hole it.

Some of the most satisfying music I own could be said to belong in Americana, but that depends how you categorise it. I prefer to say, "genres at the fringe of country". That leaves it more open. ( Equally, I also say that I detest "country music" as most people understand it ! )

Myself, I like stuff with a strong Scots/Irish root and much of it could be termed "mountain" orientated. I also love beautiful female vocals like you get say with Misty River Band.

I would be delighted if anyone would like to contact me and I'll link some absolute beauties to you.

Very often the sites where you buy from e.g. www.cdbaby.com have samples, so you can actually hear for yourself what you're buying. Otherwise, without samples, there's no point. Another tip: if browsing around on Amazon, do it on the .com website as the UK one seems to lack sample provision compared to the US one and that applies generally too.

I have seen live in recent times James McMurty, Ryan Adams, Cowboy Junkies and I love Wilco.

I have also seen Lucinda Williams, Mary Chapin-Carpenter and Tift Merritt all of whom you might include but even Springsteen plays music within a very loose description of this great music.

Kids in the States grow up with country music which is the overall most popular music in the country and they're own music is understandably influenced by the better aspects of it.

Listen to Timeless a tribute album to Hank Wiliams where even Keith Richards gets in on the act.

Americana is not just the Indie side of country but a whole raft of music that generally involved guitars rather than any emphasis on other instruments and would include the Byrds if they were still recording and is excellently exemplified by Allison Krauss in her live album with Union Station.

A recent guy also jumping on the bandwagon is Robert Plant who I just recently watched with Band of Joy trying to play country style versions of Led Zepellin after recording an americana album with Allison Krauss called Raising Sand.

Anyone fortunate to see the Raising Sand tour will have seen the excellent Buddy Millar and T Bone Burnett playing guitar the former of whom I have also seen tour on his own and who has recently recorded a great album of this genre with his wife.

This is the best music in the world and harks back to a time when musicians had to actually be able to play a musical instrument rather than press the button on a computer.

Enjoy.

Browse and listen to the Mountain Stage from West Virginia. It includes: The Felice Brothers, Steve Earle, Cowboy Junkies, Ryan Adams, Doc Watson, Loudon Wainwright, Vic Chestnut, Del McCoury, etc.

I'll throw a few suggestions for essential Americana albums in here.

Richard Buckner - The Hill
The Court and Spark - Ventura Whites, Bless You
Songs: Ohia - Axxess and Ace, The Lioness
Magnolia Electric Co - S/T

I saw Jason Molina / Songs: Ohia in Leiden during the Magnolia Electric Co transition and man.. they goddam rocked. Obvious Neil Young influences but hey.. Rockin' is rockin'.

Richard Buckner was brilliant live too. I saw him in Manchester doing a solo show. A great night except my mate got drunk on whiskey, made an arse of himself and climbed a tree outside after the gig and refused to come down. We should of left him up there. :/

The Court and Spark I saw in Chicago and San Francisco. Both times were brilliant gigs.

and I love Wilco.

Enjoy.

Best band on our little planet, and the rest you mention aint half bad either. Have you heard a more emotional "knees go weak listening to it" song in recent years than La Cienega Just Smiled from Ryan Adams? Fair takes my breath away.

I found this thread doing a search on "Mellencamp", I haven't read the middle of the thread, I presume there's a reference to John in it somewhere.

Last night, Olympia Hall, Paris, John did one of the best "americana " rock shows I've ever attended. Been wanting hear Mellencamp live for 20 years, at least. His sets covers "Life, Love, Death & Freedom" and "No better than this", for the most part. On the face of it, probably not the most alluring of songs for the basis of a show.

Live, however, their meaning and intensity becomes apparent. The audience in Paris were there for the "greatest" hits, and he did cover songs, even from the John Cougar days, from the back catalogue. (Jack & Diane, Jackie Browne, Paper in Fire, Scarecrow, Pink Houses, The Authority Song, R.O.C.K. in the USA, and maybe a couple of others that escape me).

The first half film of the "making of" No Better Than this, went down like a laed ballon with a largely non anglophone public, and the audience was getting pretty ugly. One guy got thrown out just at the beginning of John's set for shouting obscenities and approaching the stage with a bit too much purpose.

I think mellencamp pretty much sums up the best of Americana for me, but I would also put Country artists like Willie or Johnny Cash under that label.

advertisement

Back