advertisement

American style extension strip

iansr

pfm Member
I have some american power cords terminated with sealed standard 3 pin North American plugs. I could re-terminate them with UK plugs but I'd rather buy an american style extension strip and just re-terminate its power cord.

Anybody know if there is anyone selling such extensions in the UK? (I've had no luck with google etc.)

I have one left over, but I'de have to ship it to you from Germany... probably not worth the trouble is it?

Are you sure this is wise? What about the voltage/amperage ratings of US cords/plugs vs. the UK's AC supply? Might want to PM one of our experts here if noone replies with an answer.

I am pretty sure this completely violates the UK wiring code.

Your insurer would happily refuse to cover you. Power cords are only a few pounds, it isn't worth pinching the pennies by using non-approved connectors for mains.

I am pretty sure this completely violates the UK wiring code.

Your insurer would happily refuse to cover you. Power cords are only a few pounds, it isn't worth pinching the pennies by using non-approved connectors for mains.

AFAIK US plugs also have smaller (inferior?) earth pins, which may lead to problems with the higher voltage in the UK.
Gary

OK guys, thanks for pointing out my near mistake. I'll terminate them with UK plugs. The cords are presumably ok to use as they have very thick conductors and are rated at 15 amps.

I would expect so; the only possible problem is the voltage rating of the insulation.

Hi all,
May I add another word of warning.
Unless it is the harmonised brown/blue/yellow-green type, American power cords have a different colour code and voltage rating as follows:
Black = Live (A common aide memoire is "Black equals Death)
White = neutral
Green = Earth
Voltage rating = 110-120Vac

This is strictly not allowable in the UK and could cause insurance problems as well.

John Caswell

advertisement

Back