advertisement

Amazon Sellers and tax?

Colonel_Mad

pfm Member
As we all know Amazon are under the cosh at the moment for paying bog all corporation tax on their UK earnings. Whilst this rankles with me I have to admit buying from Amazon is just so easy and fuss-free 99% of the time.

One questions I have, if you buy from an Amazon Seller does the correct proportion of your money end up in the UK coffers? Often a highly rated Amazon seller has the same item for a similar price.

If so it would be a good way to get the benefits both ways. Just a thought.

Jonathan

Amazon will take a fee from the Amazon seller. I would have thought it odds on the fee will be collected by Amazon Ireland or Amazon wherever and not be subject to UK tax. If the Amazon seller is UK resident then they should be registered with HMRC and paying either Income Tax or Corporation Tax on their profits. If the Amazon seller is not resident in the UK then they are unlikely to be liable to UK taxes on their profits.

amazon sellers pay both amazon fees & Vat to Hmrc if uk based when you buy a item , Amazon just pay nothing on any earnings

Unless item is a pre-order only amazon get to list this item - sellers are barred from selling pre-orders , even if there price is lower

One questions I have, if you buy from an Amazon Seller does the correct proportion of your money end up in the UK coffers?

That will have nothing to do with Amazon whatsoever, the marketplace sellers are folk like me, eBay sellers etc, i.e. just sole-traders or small businesses (some large businesses too) who are obviously expected to produce their own tax return every year (as I do ). If I didn't own this place I'd certainly be selling via Amazon, Discogs etc, and I have many friends who do just that.

So to cut a long story short I guess...

Buy from Amazon for £x and none of that goes to the Uk taxman and all of it goes to Amazon in Ireland.
Buy from a UK-based Amazon seller for £x and a small fee goes to Amazon but the tax on the remainder goes to the UK taxman.

Seems like Amazon sellers for me from now on. Thanks for your replies.

Buy from Amazon for £x and none of that goes to the Uk taxman and all of it goes to Amazon in Ireland.
Buy from a UK-based Amazon seller for £x and a small fee goes to Amazon but the tax on the remainder goes to the UK taxman.

Just bear in mind the new Amazon "auto-rip" service only applies to items bought direct from them if that's relevant to you at all.

This is the case for me. I have a record label and sometimes use amazon if i don't see the album getting much pr (if i have hope, i use a distributor who in turn uses amazon). They usually put about £3.50 on my trade price of £5. So it is not just a bit. It is a lot. Perhaps best to buy from the label direct.

Also bear in mind that I have competitors on there for my own products. We send 350 out to press and radio. Half of them end up on ebay and amazon advertised as new, when they are used. Some vendors refuse to
change the item to used.

Amazon also order in dribs and drabs and they sometimes lose my cds.

So not only do they pay virtually no tax, they are a bunch of scrotes with shit procedures for their partners and they do not police the other scrotes that sell my albums illegally.

advertisement

Back