advertisement

Amazon on Panorama

As opposed to an inaccurate report on normal companies....

In all honesty, I'm against journalists who shame any company, big or small just to make a living, It's predatory IMHO. If they were to infiltrate a company and find starving children working in squalid conditions then they would have a point and I'd instantly boycott that company but that's not how it is. These journalists film hours upon hours of footage then edit it to show only the crap. Dispatches have a court case against them for libel. I don't think panorama have had a case brought against them but they do take the biscuit a bit sometimes

In all honesty, I'm against journalists who shame any company, big or small just to make a living, It's predatory IMHO. If they were to infiltrate a company and find starving children working in squalid conditions then they would have a point and I'd instantly boycott that company but that's not how it is. These journalists film hours upon hours of footage then edit it to show only the crap. Dispatches have a court case against them for libel. I don't think panorama have had a case brought against them but they do take the biscuit a bit sometimes

Hadn't occurred to me that they made a living looking for dirt.
Makes sense, in a warped way, that they would edit to make a company look dirty if they had done all that work - rather than do the decent thing and either leave them alone or make a programme saying "this lot are ok".
I like the idea of investigative journalists saving lives and the world in general.
Painting ordinary people and companies as bad is just plain wrong.
If I watch any more programmes like this I shall be even more cynical than I was before

My heart bleeds for all these mega corporations and I share the sympathies expressed to these enormously powerful companies, its just so unfair for journalists to dig for dirt, I mean what would happen if they were to uncover some wrongdoing?

Whats wrong with this country today where grubby little hacks reveal that banks are ripping people off, miss-selling insurance, people are stupid. Farm workers kept 10 to a caravan by gang bosses? they can always go back to Poland what's the problem? plenty would be happy to live and work in those conditions in China, it's a competitive world.
Elderly care visitors on zero hours expected to provide care in a 10 minute slot, if only they drove faster to their appointments the lazy arseholes.
Hospital cleaners unable to do a thorough job? if only these moaning thicko's who never paid attention at school worked harder our hospitals wouldn't be so dirty.

Some fools are blind to the imbalance of power between an employee and a large company, doff your cap lad, tug your forelock in the company of your betters...right wing bollocks.

My heart bleeds for all these mega corporations and I share the sympathies expressed to these enormously powerful companies, its just so unfair for journalists to dig for dirt, I mean what would happen if they were to uncover some wrongdoing?

Whats wrong with this country today where grubby little hacks reveal that banks are ripping people off, miss-selling insurance, people are stupid. Farm workers kept 10 to a caravan by gang bosses? they can always go back to Poland what's the problem? plenty would be happy to live and work in those conditions in China, it's a competitive world.
Elderly care visitors on zero hours expected to provide care in a 10 minute slot, if only they drove faster to their appointments the lazy arseholes.
Hospital cleaners unable to do a thorough job? if only these moaning thicko's who never paid attention at school worked harder our hospitals wouldn't be so dirty.

Some fools are blind to the imbalance of power between an employee and a large company, doff your cap lad, tug your forelock in the company of your betters...right wing bollocks.

If they uncover wrongdoing, it should be exposed. If , however, they find sweet FA, that should be publicised as well.

What should NOT happen is that perfectly acceptable working conditions should be spun to look like evil exploitation.

It must be an awful feeling when your entire life's political raison d'aitre becomes more & more marginalised & you find yourself increasingly like a comedy sketch as you grow older, Cooky.

Never mind.

Chris

Chris ,
I remember life long Labour voting family members becoming Conservatives overnight when Thatch allowed them to buy their council house-they even started knocking the corners off their scouse accents-it was tragic and hilarious in equal measure until the same system made them redundant, the local community became a smack hole etc etc.
Jaundiced never marginalised .;-)
Looks like some here are only in favour of a 'free' press if it reflects the hegemony of big business-that's fascistic.

Chris ,
I remember life long Labour voting family members becoming Conservatives overnight when Thatch allowed them to buy their council house-they even started knocking the corners off their scouse accents-it was tragic and hilarious in equal measure until the same system made them redundant, the local community became a smack hole etc etc.
Jaundiced never marginalised .;-)
Looks like some here are only in favour of a 'free' press if it reflects the hegemony of big business-that's fascistic.

Yer average joe soap voter on the whole is simply not politicised. He/she will vote for whoever will put more cash in their pockets.

In the words of the old song (sung to the tune of the Red Flag):

"The working class can kiss my ars*,
I've got the foreman's job at last".

Chris

Yer average joe soap voter on the whole is simply not politicised. He/she will vote for whoever will put more cash in their pockets.

In the words of the old song (sung to the tune of the Red Flag):

"The working class can kiss my ars*,
I've got the foreman's job at last".

Chris

Very true. Brilliant.

Carers are amongst some of the most underpaid and over worked people in out country, yet there employers are rarely dragged through the dirt for the way they treat staff. There are plenty exposed for patient abuse which is of course right but little is said about their pay conditions and workload. Farmhands are generally massively overworked and underpaid, they are not exposed either. Amazon's working conditions are excellent by comparison. These journalists are in it for the money, they don't really give two hoots about somebody else's working conditions, they just go after an easy target, the bigger the better. After all, going after somebody like amazon will pull a lot of viewers and get people talking. Being balanced and transparent isn't always in a journalists best financial interest.

advertisement

Back