advertisement

Amazon Echo Dot

Radfordman

pfm Member
Yesterday, on impulse, I ordered one of these. Amazingly, it has just arrived. This was from AO.com.

I know northing about these, will it work as a stand alone unit, or do I need a smartphone to set it up?

I don't own a smartphone and don't particularly want one. Have I made a mistake?

Many thanks.

I love ours. In particular using the Shopping list function when you are in the middle of cooking and realise you have run out of something

Just don't put it in a room where you don't want it to listen to you as it never really stops listening to you ( do a quick search online)
Apart from that great little thing I got my folks the bigger one so he can listen to internet radio

I've got an Echo Dot in the kitchen linked to my Spotify account. Surprisingly good sound for the price. I also use it to check the weather, listen to the radio, set timers so quite versatile.
It only "listens" when it's been activated using the wake word, so if you tell it to stop it will then shut down until reactivated. There's also the option of deleting the history of what's been recorded, which is worth doing periodically if you're concerned.

P.S. Waiting for the conspiracy theorists to tell me that it never really shuts down, records everything all of the time and recording history doesn't get deleted even though it says it has. All part of Amazon's plans for world domination and control :(

Yeah but who cares if Amazon wants to hear me shagging, that’s their thing I guess.

I have the new spot delivered here lovely devices. I had the first one but the screen went on it as it did for many but I think this revision fixes that. Just a shame Amazon have still not sorted their crap out so I cannot have radio 4 wake me in the morning

I think they are great little things and yes they actually sound ok tbh can't argue for the price I got good deals just before Xmas the the echo as opposed to the dot does sound nicer

Yeah but who cares if Amazon wants to hear me shagging, that’s their thing I guess.

I have the new spot delivered here lovely devices. I had the first one but the screen went on it as it did for many but I think this revision fixes that. Just a shame Amazon have still not sorted their crap out so I cannot have radio 4 wake me in the morning
iirc that is a BBC issue related to "BBC Sounds".

Well all I know is I can tell it to play radio 4 and it does so, but I cannot have it as an alarm. Which is annoying.

I was having a problem setting it up and called Amazon Support. They were extremely helpful and after some hours of trying many different things, they told me that the item is faulty, and should be replaced.

The Amazon engineer sent me an email confirming that the Dot was faulty. He told me that there is often a problem with these devices when they are not purchased directly from Amazon.

I have sent a complaint email to AO.com.

we have one of these wee doodahs,it occasionally wakes up when triggered by some phrase or other on the telly!.

If I was bed-bound, or had severe mobility issues then I can see the positive side of this kind of device.

But I can see no positives if one is mobile enough to turn on the radio, or choose a cd to put on. Or indeed use a computer/ tablet.

I bought an echo couple of years ago for the kitchen.To be honest I love it. Thought of getting the bigger one. It’s a great family device and is used every time someone goes into the kitchen.

advertisement

Back