advertisement

Amazon Dumferline

More coverage today:
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-22...-over-mountains-of-waste-itv-news-understands

From what I can tell this is stock stored for Amazon Marketplace vendors who no longer wish to pay a warehousing fee.

I guess Amazon have decided it's cheaper to destroy it than go through the hassle of donating it - the report suggested about x10 the amount donated was destroyed. Completely fvcked up frankly.

It's hard to work out if this is amazon bashing or not, which obvs I enjoy seeing. But if I consider our company waste products, it's about 2% of what we sell, probably less than our domestic waste. 2% of what amazon sells will be a lot. But what we never do is throw stuff away that is useful, only damaged or faulty parts. Is the amazon UK chief lying? It would appear so.

very sad indeed

even damaged items have use surely?

some of that stuff looked brand new as well

I get it cost money to store it but surely can arrange bulk donations or the like must be value in that, and better than landfill

If it's happening, one of the rationales (such as it is) would be that they (Amazon) fear dampening down the price of the goods by giving them away (free supply reduces market demand amongst purchasers, which might lead to lower prices). It's wasteful and immoral of course but it happens with 'commodity' grade items, which could apply to many products. For example it commonly happens with surplus food (though getting more usual to give food away now). As a measure of how f*cked up our economies are it's quite a good one but I fear it might have something to do with the explanation.

If it's happening, one of the rationales (such as it is) would be that they (Amazon) fear dampening down the price of the goods by giving them away (free supply reduces market demand amongst purchasers, which might lead to lower prices). It's wasteful and immoral of course but it happens with 'commodity' grade items, which could apply to many products. For example it commonly happens with surplus food (though getting more usual to give food away now). As a measure of how f*cked up our economies are it's quite a good one but I fear it might have something to do with the explanation.
A fairly cynical, but probable, explanation.

Just incase anyone wants to pop it in their Sat Nav, and go and visit. ( and you should )….
It is spelt DUNFERMLINE.

I was born there !!!! ( but escaped soon after )

In France, they've already done so, making it against the law to send unsold non-food products to waste - businesses must instead reuse, recycle, or redistribute everything to those in need. Amazon's practices on the other side of the Channel triggered that change - but the politician behind it is far from optimistic. Asked if she believes the law is forcing a change in the online retail giant there, former French environment minister Brune Poirson told ITV News: “No, I don’t think Amazon is changing. Otherwise, you would not have found what you found out in the UK. With the law we passed in France a couple of years ago, Amazon should have started to change the way it works and the way it does business. It hasn’t, your work proves it.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-23...hange-after-amazon-found-binning-unsold-goods

advertisement

Back