advertisement

Amazon cd's less than £5 mp3 £7.99. wtf!

Very regularly the case. Only a real mug would buy a download IMHO, let alone a naff lossy one such as MP3. Far better to buy the full-res CD with all the cover art, info etc plus you get a nice physical backup if you do rip it.

It's called capitalism. It must make business sense otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

It's the same with Susan Boyle's "home for christmas" as well.

Susan-Boyle-Home-For-Christmas.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If I had any means to rip them, I'd be tempted to start buying CDs again, it's only the storage that is an issue for me. Already tried offloading about 500 at the local 2nd hand record dealers and they aren't taking CDs.

I buy CDs for the pfm record shop, though you have to get them here (Lancashire).

PS By CDs I don't mean Susan Boyle CDs.

matt, that's a shame, over here, i can take my old cd's and rather than selling them i do a trade/barter, more often than not I receive credit and buy out all his classical vinyl which is selling for no more than $1 a record and in some cases box sets of operas and symphonies for $3

What I don't get is when you buy a CD you get auto rip which allows you to download the album as mp3 file. I suppose that is for those that can't wait for the CD to arrive. Otherwise - why?

It has been useful for the odd occasion that I buy an LP off them as it gives me a portable version of the album. Though I don't download this until I have received the LP and decided it's OK to keep (I.e. it has arrived in New condition) otherwise I could be charged for the mp3 download.

It's so easy to rip them if you have ether a PC or Mac with a cd drive. Asset is available for both

I dumped physical drives from PCs years ago, not going back down that road. Like I said I don't have anywhere to store the discs anyway, I already have boxes of the bloody things I want rid of as it is.

I can understand why charity shops are wary of CDs - they're the 2016 version of Friends VHS cassettes. Most round our way are 4 for a quid.

I shunted a pile to Music Magpie a year ago - most were under a quid - with the good stuff going to Discogs.

There is a limit to how much physical stuff you can house and how much you are prepared to spend to do so. How much a sq ft is property now? After the massive LP glut and CD spree I now keep any spare space for LPs. Ripped CDs have to be either binned or sent back to charity shops and with 6TB of the things even server and backup space is becoming an issue. There really has been just too much too cheap for so long now I've enough to see me out and then some. As for books and videos, great binloads of them are also down the charity shop. The last thing younger people in rented places want is more 'stuff'. CDs are cheap because few can be arsed with the costs of storage and disposal any more - assuming there is any interest in 'collecting' music in the first place.

Strange as it may seem to many on this forum the average person doesn't give a shit what sounds better CD, mp3 or Vinyl and I really wish I didn't sometimes my bank acc. would certainly be better if I didn't.

advertisement

Back