advertisement

Amazon are utter dog shite

KUB3

ciao
I ordered a ton of music from Amazon well over two months ago. Low and behold these drooling vegetables still haven't delivered 60% of my items. In fact they have just moved their estimated delivery time forward another 2 months from now - over FOUR fecking months from my order placement!! Unsuprisingly I have cancelled everything and will never, ever use these bottom feeders again.

To add to the mess, now all the recent despatched order data has dissapeared from my account, soI cannot check a damn thing. Plus I have 73 emails from Amazon to delete from my mail box. SEVENTY FECKING THREE!!!

Now I have the great fun of reordering all over again. I will no doubt get them from HMV and Ebay, which both seem cheaper or FAR cheaper.

These Amazon monkey's need beating with an ATC bass driver and drowning in a chemical toilet!

Amazon are the dogs.

I agree some stuff takes a while. If you need it pronto go somewhere else.

Delivery is free and reliable.

I have hundreds of items sitting in my basket. Prices fluctuate all the time. When they hit bottom, i snap it up. Just got to play the game.

(If anything says 4-6weeks btw, i wouldn't bother with it - generally wait that long then they don't have it in stock)

Erm, interesting thread title!

Why not take a trip to HMV or your local record emporium?

have been using amazon us/uk and canada for almost 6 years now, at least once a month... never had a problem. amazon germany and france on the other hand are not a punctual as one hopes.

Why not take a trip to HMV or your local record emporium?

I only purchase what I cannot find locally (or dramatically more $$$) online.

I must admit I rarely use amazon for anything but reference, reviews etc. There's a lot of competition for your money and imho amazon just aren't the best.

Going for some more HMV jazz bargains myself...

Hey Space Cadet. You've cost me a fortune. I read a post of yours ages ago containing a link to Norman Recs.

I drop cash there every week now. Great site and personalised service.

Thanks! :)

Do you mean Amazon or their marketplace? I've never had a problem with either, but fully agree with cookiemonster - if it isn't in stock, probably shouldn't bother.

I've spent a fair proportion of the GDP of a small country with Amazons and their maketplace sellers over the years, but have had only one or two problems - once with a long wait from Caiman (they're not too proactive in telling you something's delayed), and occasionally a very long wait (usually ending in zip) for something classed as 4-6 weeks delivery. As CM says if you're in a hurry best avoid those.

I trawl the world for each purchase and it's surpirsingly often that an Amazon site ends up best choice.

I've spent a fair proportion of the GDP of a small country with Amazons and their maketplace sellers over the years,

Haha. Ditto here. I even have an Amazon credit card!

I trawl the world for each purchase and it's surpirsingly often that an Amazon site ends up best choice.

Entirely agree.

Amazon is mostly fine, although I never bother to order anything from them if it's not marked as being in stock or available within a matter of days.

But I still much prefer to go into Real Record Shops rather than buy stuff online, and that's where most of my spending happens.

-- Ian

caiman (via amazon marketplace) are great, i use them all the time to get hold of new releases for £3 or £4 less than normal. and if your stuff goes missing, just tell them you haven't received your item after 30 days and you'll get a refund and a replacement. sometimes two copies turn up and you can sell one of them :)

andy m said:
caiman (via amazon marketplace) are great, i use them all the time to get hold of new releases for £3 or £4 less than normal. and if your stuff goes missing, just tell them you haven't received your item after 30 days and you'll get a refund and a replacement. sometimes two copies turn up and you can sell one of them :)
You bad man ;-)

I have bought quite a few things from Caiman, especially cds I haven't been able to get anywhere else.

Overall, I try to buy from independant record labels or retailers where possible. However, there's no getting away from ebay and Amazon for finding rare or hard to get stuff, nevermind hard-to-avoid bargains.

andy m said:

I have found Amazon to be first class. Books I get from several sellers but records always from Caiman.

I recently ordered that absolutely outstanding recording of the Schubert C major quintet by Emerson/Rostropovitch to be sent to a friend. After several weeks, I informed Caiman that it had not arrived so they promptly despatched another at no charge. Subsequently, both records turned up within a couple of days of each other! They have declined payment for the second CD.

Given the fortune I have spent with them, they can afford to be generous but that's not the point - they provide exemplary service and I find the whole Amazon experience first rate and extraordinarily convenient. Which, of course, is why I no longer have the fortune!

Richard.

The amazon marketplace is very dangerous (to one's wallet - a lot of bargains still add up to a lot).

My experience with amazon has been patchy and I have suffered some mind-boggling incompetence at their hands (on one occasion they failed to send a birthday gift to a friend of mine in the states, after much complaining they then sent it no fewer than six times!). They do not publish an e-mail address (having only a webform) which annoys me intensely and and talking their custom service people electronic can be rather like doing something involving your head and a brick wall. However, after I've complained loudly, they generally do the right thing and often give some kind of refund. I then decide that I'm not going to use them again (until a few weeks later I find a wonderful offer and it repeats).

My biggest annoyance however, is that orders listed as 'dispatches in 24 hours' never ever do. The more normal time is 3 days or so and I cannot abide this flagrant dishonesty. One day, when I have the energy I shall try and report the to trading standards or whomever it is who police such false claims.

regards, Tam

rod said:
You bad man ;-)

i should note that i have never taken advantage of this. just that one time the post office kept something i ordered for a month before they found it. by which time i had informed caiman that the item was lost. :)

The post office can be awful like that. One time I went to my sorting office (since there were a number of items that hadn't arrived), it turned out they had been sitting under the counter for two weeks but they'd never bothered to try and deliver them or leave a card. The other weekend, they delivered a card the day after the missed delivery (which was a saturday), by which time the depot was closed for the weekend.

regards, Tam

None of the items I ordered were listed as taking 4 weeks plus etc. What they do is sneekily move the goal posts - the "estimated delivery date" keeps creeping along each day! This morning was the last straw. I was expecting a delivery this monday then it changed by an extra 2 months after lunch time today (thursday)!

I'll simply vote with my wallet and never return. Plus I'll tell everyone I know, to warn them off. I've never encountered such dismal service since I had to deal with Sky six years ago (haven't used then since either).

P.S I found Caiman rubbish too. One month for delivery and no sign, so I cancelled. Selling items you don't own on an online auction is plain wrong.

athos_uk said:
My biggest annoyance however, is that orders listed as 'dispatches in 24 hours' never ever do. The more normal time is 3 days or so and I cannot abide this flagrant dishonesty. One day, when I have the energy I shall try and report the to trading standards or whomever it is who police such false claims.
Tam, I've got to the stage where I presume the order will take ages and if it turns up promptly, I am quite happy.

I'm quite lucky regarding the postal service. My postie knows I'm never in, so never bothers bringing parcels that won't go through the letterbox, but just drops a card in to tell me when to pick up at the depot. I've never (touch wood) experienced a delivery failure due to the postal system. That's likely down to Mick's legacy.

advertisement

Back