advertisement

Am I going to cause damage to my Audiolab 8200DQ by powering it off at the mains?

Hcanning

pfm Member
... Rather than using its front panel power switch?

Rather annoyingly it doesn't have a remote-controlled power / standby function, so I was going to buy an IR-controlled power outlet and then I can power it on/off with my universal remote.

My question is will this cause any damage? I presume since it's a "hard" power switch, it applies/kills power in much the same way?

Ta!

No - that's how I turn all my stuff off (most of it doesn't even have an on/off switch anyway)

No, however, I'd be concerned that the relay in a remote controllable outlet might go wonky and start cycling on/off at 50cps with my beloved amp connected and switched on; not to mention what forms of mains distortion are being generated by such electronics as are in one of these modern couch potatoe conveniences of dubious China Inc. origins.

Craig

... Rather than using its front panel power switch?

Rather annoyingly it doesn't have a remote-controlled power / standby function, so I was going to buy an IR-controlled power outlet and then I can power it on/off with my universal remote.

My question is will this cause any damage? I presume since it's a "hard" power switch, it applies/kills power in much the same way?

Ta!
No I have switched on/off from wall power socket for last 20 years . However Quad QSP amp unsatisfactory as it caused thumps through speakers so returned for refund.

Physical power switches on kit typically have capacitance across the contacts to prevent arcing (which damages the contacts). The kit won't usually care if you control the power elsewhere, but you have merely shifted the problem upstream. Something to bear in mind.

hmm not sure as this has a computer inside that boots up at start up? there have been people here having trouble with corrupted systems with the 8200c/dq not starting up. why take the chance? I wouldnt listen to non 8200c/dq owners here as maybe it would be ok for their non Audiolab 8200c/dq gear. I wouldnt mind doing it to my 80000Q/Ms as they dont have anything complicated inside. But not the 8200cdq unless I am assured from the guy here who helped design it? I suppose you will also put the power amps on the same switch to switch ON also. Dont know if it would be a good idea to turn on all the items in one go fuse wise

No problem to "externally" power switch the DQ... from the units perspective switching externally is the same as using its front panel power switch.

No problem to "externally" power switch the DQ... from the units perspective switching externally is the same as using its front panel power switch.

hmm not sure as this has a computer inside that boots up at start up? there have been people here having trouble with corrupted systems with the 8200c/dq not starting up. why take the chance? I wouldnt listen to non 8200c/dq owners here as maybe it would be ok for their non Audiolab 8200c/dq gear. I wouldnt mind doing it to my 80000Q/Ms as they dont have anything complicated inside. But not the 8200cdq unless I am assured from the guy here who helped design it? I suppose you will also put the power amps on the same switch to switch ON also. Dont know if it would be a good idea to turn on all the items in one go fuse wise

Does that set your and any other overly cautious minds and fears at rest?

I have done this for years without problem (Rega Elicit, Naim Dac V1, Naim Nap 200 / 250DR, Arcam A19 / A29). Also confirmed this with the official mod at the Naim Forum. No prob.

I actually use a few Belkin WiFi switches to power up and down remotely (via smartphone). The power switch is left On and I use my smartphone to power up / down the Belkin Wemo switches. Excellent convenience with no problems.

Keep in mind though that the right power on SEQUENCE remains important. I have a separate wifi switch for the power amp so that I can switch that On last (and Off first).

If you want to be super extra cautious why not contact Audiolab customer support. I am certain they will confirm it is ok.

advertisement

Back