advertisement

Alvin Gold has died

Paul Mc

pfm Member
Alan Sircom has confirmed Alvin's death on a Hifi Plus feed.

I always enjoyed Alvin's writing, especially in the 80s and 90s when he broke ranks from the LP12 club and moved over to a Roksan deck. His love of classical music which featured in his reviews encouraged me to investigate (and come to love) Mahler, which I'd previously avoided. RIP Alvin.

I enjoyed his writing very much, about 20 years ago- both equipment and music reviews. I had it in my head that he looked like Noel Edmunds! -though never saw a pic of him.

Sad news. A name I remember well from the early '80s when I regularly bought hi-fi magazines. RIP.

I too enjoyed his writing and his enthusiasm for audio and joy in finding 2nd hand vinyl treasures.
It's been a few years since I saw a picture of him but I have a recollection of full bearded, lots of curly hair.

Errol.

Sad news indeed - I also read quite a few of his reviews.

Was he retired, or still reviewing/writing I wonder - I have no idea how old he was.

Condolences to his friends and family..

Like others here I read a lot of the HiFi press back in the '80s and remember enjoying his writing.

RIP Alvin.

His was also the good humoured subject of amusing response letters from another AG (Andy Giles) back in the day who IIRC, referred to him as The Gants Hill Goatherd. His reviews were always well written and the responses were a good laugh. It all seemed a bit less uptight then. RIP Alvin.

Very sad news. He was one of a handful of the stalwart reviewers contributing to many titles over many decades. I remember him most for the Hi-Fi Answers days along with JMH and KH.

R.I.P.

Very sad news. He was one of a handful of the stalwart reviewers contributing to many titles over many decades. I remember him most for the Hi-Fi Answers days along with JMH and KH.

R.I.P.

...and DGP!

His espousal of the Rega RB300 as a giant-killer led me to experiment with many turntable combinations in the mid-80s.

Really sad news. I grew up reading reviews and articles written by Alvin Gold. Couldnt wait to get the next issue and to see Alvins name at the end was a feeling of familiarity and comfort :)

I blame you Alvin :) RIP my friend

I was always interested in his opinions in the 80s when hi fi was more popular and people really took notice of reviews ! rip

This is sad news. Like most here I enjoyed his writing at Answers. It mattered at bit more to me then. There were fewer products but more change and AG was part of that and offered an interesting opinion. Well written too.

RIP Alvin

advertisement

Back