advertisement

Alternatives to Naim Uniti Star?

droodzilla

pfm Member
Are there any all-in-one boxes out there that do everything the Naim Uniti Star does? Details here:

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/uniti-star

OK, maybe not absolutely everything but it's important that the device can:

1. Play CDs
2. Rip CDs
3. Offer streaming options
4. Built in amplifier

I'm asking for a friend. I don't know if he's committed to any particular streaming service so suggestions don't necessarily have to have everything built in.

Ideally, he'slooking for a cheaper solution but it has to be one box - although I'm hoping to persuade him it might be better to add streaming via (e.g.) Sonos.

So, what's out there?

t+a R1000. Very good unit and knocked spots of Naim last time I heard it. Hard to find though I think they're distributed by Kog now.

If he wants to rip CDs, is it really necessary to be able to play them as well? A second hand Superuniti and a decent NAS would cost less than £2K.

It does not rip or play CDs, but you can order the Auralic Polaris with a built-in hard drive or solid state drive. It also supports a wide range of streaming options

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think the ability to play CDs is essential and, if anything, it's ripping that is more of a "nice to have". I'll see if I can get him to clarify this.

I'm also on the lookout for cheaper options, as I think Naim is always going to be at the top end for price. For example, I suggested he look into the new Quad Artera Solus. He could either buy now and add Sonos, or wait for the wi-fi enabled version due in Autumn. Either way he's paying around half of what the Naim costs.

Off the wall, perhaps and not one box solution :

• Blu Ray player (oppo, technics, yamaha) - that will get your discs and streaming handled
  • Single input T-amp, amptastic, temple audio.

A number of recent integrated amps at diverse price points incorporate streaming solutions, so just plonking a CD/disc player on the front of one of those might work.

Thanks again for the suggestions - please keep them coming.

Do CD rippers also *play* CDs? Or should I assume they won't unless it says otherwise?

the John Lewis Cello

https://m.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-...dio-cd-player-wi-fi-bluetooth-walnut/p3356211

We think it is the bees knees. The sound it great, the functionality is fab and the price is spot on, try it before spending double the price. (if not more)
Thanks, I like the look of that and I'll bear it in mind if anyone asks me about all-in-one solutions in future.

But maybe I should have been clearer about the requirement - he's looking for a single box solution, excluding speakers. He has a pair of Linn Ninkas and whatever he buys will be feeding those.

I'm seeing him later today so I'll try to get more detail about his requirements. Personally I'm inclined to steer him away from single box solutions that include storage for digital files - they sound like a complete liability in terms of maintenance. I'm not even sure he really needs to rip CDs so I'll check that.

The German brand AVM offer quite many all-in-one solutions. AVM = Audio Video Manufaktur. I have one from around 2008 - the AVM C6M :
integrated amp
AV-in
DAC
CD- PLAYER
FM Radio + DAB

If he can do without the ripping, the new Quad offering is getting good reviews

I've tried to steer him in that direction but he seems set on the Naim even though, as it turns out, he *doesn't* need the ripping facility.
The German brand AVM offer quite many all-in-one solutions. AVM = Audio Video Manufaktur. I have one from around 2008 - the AVM C6M :
integrated amp
AV-in
DAC
CD- PLAYER
FM Radio + DAB
Those look really nice. I'll mention them to him. Wish I could afford one of the all-in-ones (without streaming) myself!

advertisement

Back