advertisement

Alternatives to Naim Nac5 cable?

john howard

pfm Member
Because of flexibility, I actually hate the stuff, in the next few months I’m hoping to put together a retro linn / naim set up(, and looking for different options concerning cable, I’m reading Linn cable is another choice ? Thank you

Linn cable used to be NAC4. I don't know if it still is. Unless you're after the last ounce of performance that'll do fine. NAC4, Linn, Exposure, etc are all the same and not that far behind NAC5. There is a difference but it's not huge. To be honest, any thick multi-strand copper cable I've tried sounds much like any other.

You need a minimum of a 3.5M pair if using the old Naim kit.

QED 79 works just fine.

Before Naim offered NACA4 and then as an alternative they recomended an RS cable - 357-946, it was 4mm and they said to twist it 4 times per metre, screen cap from old amp manual below.

This is the up to date version

Just an FYI, to match the minimum inductance of 3.5m A4/A5, QED 79 strand must be 5.3m minimum.

At typical prices per metre of £1.99 to £2.45 this is still the best bargain going.

As bonus, the 4mm outside diameter of 79 strand just fits into the plastic insulators of classic Deltron 500-0100/500-0500 plugs. Nothing looks neater than this. Just remember to slide the insulators on before soldering, as the threads are the other way round relative to the 'big barrel' Deltrons.

Just an FYI, to match the minimum inductance of 3.5m A4/A5, QED 79 strand must be 5.3m minimum.

At typical prices per metre of £1.99 to £2.45 this is still the best bargain going.
Good point, I have a 6m pair I use with my old Naim kit, much easier to route around the office furniture than NACA.

Thank you all for your advice, leaning towards the linn cable, I can see it only comes in grey?
Grey wasn't a bad choice, really, as it tends to blend into one's decor better than does black or white (unless on has white skirting boards and/or carpets). Slightly more flexible insulation than A4 too, this despite these otherwise being the exact same BICC outdoor lighting cable (often seen being nailed up round the village common fetes and trailer parks depicted in such classic Brit television series as Heartbeat, etc.)

Yes Naca5 is stiff but if you already have it & gone to the trouble of routing it, why bother changing? I don’t really understand what is inconvenient about it. I had it for 15 plus years & never gave it a thought, my XLR cable sits just the same, was easier to handle but it’s not like I’m constantly moving things about.

advertisement

Back