advertisement

Alternatives to Dragonfly red

ossy

pfm Member
I am being forced (mainly by teenage children) to listen more to headphones in the evening. For some bizarre reason, they have yet to appreciate jazz! I previously had an audioquest dragonfly red which I used to listen to Qobuz via my iphone to very good effect. I do not have it anymore but am thinking of getting another.

Are there any keenly priced alternatives I should consider? The dragonfly has crept up in price over recent years and is a few years old now. My hifi budget is currently severely dented by my other hobby (wing foiling!)

As always, any advice appreciated.

(btw if anybody had a red they would like to sell, plse let me know).

I've owned both a Red and a Cobalt. The Cobalt is substantially better, but also costs more.

I've also had an Oppo HA2 which was the classiest looking and also sounded great (also doubles as battery pack for a short phone charge in an emergency).

Why not buy the Original Chord Mojo, would walk all over that. Plenty for sale cheaply now that the Mojo2 is out.

I also own the Oppo HA2 which I can say is a marvelous piece of engineering but doesn't quite stack up to the Mojo.

Why not buy the Original Chord Mojo, would walk all over that. Plenty for sale cheaply now that the Mojo2 is out.

I also own the Oppo HA2 which I can say is a marvelous piece of engineering but doesn't quite stack up to the Mojo.
Third recommendation for Mojo
I went from AQ Black to Red and finally to Mojo
Mojo is leagues better

Interesting, I’ve just gone from android to an iPhone, so looking at headphones as the iPhone doesn’t do LDAC for my Sony in-ears. Seriously thinking going wired again, is the mojo the way to go? I was considering some of the FiiO units.

Are there any keenly priced alternatives I should consider? The dragonfly has crept up in price over recent years and is a few years old now. My hifi budget is currently severely dented by my other hobby (wing foiling!)

Suprised no one's mentioned the 'Apple DAC in a cable' - comes highly recommend by PFMers in other threads. At less than 10 squid, totally efficient, great SQ and unobtrusive - what's not to like 👍

I got the USB-C version to use on my Mac Mini...

Review (with links to others)
"The Apple audio adapter delivers superb audio quality at a very low price. The lightning version works with the iPhone, and the USB-C version improves the sound quality of computers and lower-end Android phones."

Last edited:
Suprised no one's mentioned the 'Apple DAC in a cable' - comes highly recommend by PFMers in other threads. At less than 10 squid, totally efficient, great SQ and unobtrusive - what's not to like 👍

I got the USB-C version to use on my Mac Mini...

Review (with links to others)
"The Apple audio adapter delivers superb audio quality at a very low price. The lightning version works with the iPhone, and the USB-C version improves the sound quality of computers and lower-end Android phones."
I have one. The dragonfly red massively improves the sound quality.

Have you looked at the Fiio BTR7? High res usb DAC with Bluetooth too. I’m contemplating this one.

I can recommend either the Earmen Eagle or Fiio BTR5, bothe great value.

Would be interested to hear about the BTR7

Currently using a Fiio BTR3k with Sennheiser HD25 IIs via Bluetooth for Spotify premium on an iPad. Sounds fabulous. And less than £70.

Tempo sonata bhd, better in every regard than anything from Audioquest.

I had the BTR7 for a while before buying a mojo2 and it worked really well. Best used in balanced mode if possible but I suppose that'll depend on what headphones you are using with it. Worked flawlessly as a BT DAC or via USB.

I've seen Audioquest running a promotion at the mo. Dealers are selling the AQ Cobalt for £179 compared to the original £299 price. A bargain at this price if you want to stay with Audioquest but with a uplift.

I had the Dragonfly Red for some time until it stopped working. I replaced it with an iBasso DC-06 which I think is excellent - USB-C input and 2.5 single ended and well as 4.4 balanced outputs. I couldn't be happier.

advertisement

Back