advertisement

Alternatives to a NAIM power amp for a 32.5

GJP

pfm Member
Thanks to Mark and Martin from this parish I am now "playing around" with some vintage NAIM kit a very early 32.5 running with an avondaled SNAPS.

So far so good using my NAP 200. I would like to play with a vintage power amp, but struggling a little to find a nice NAIM, perhaps a case of good things come to those that wait.

What alternatives should I consider, budget is £250-500, and since I am experimenting the lower to mid point end of that range is more desirable.

I also need something I can sell on with relative ease without too much of a hit when I have sufficiently scratched my itch.

Or is the answer be patient a NAIM Amp will come along,

Gary

I think the obvious answer has to be a NAP160. A great amp if you can find one. A 110 is also a sweet amp from that era and a 140 is the same amp but with a better power supply arrangement.

All sorts. If you can find a Nytech, they are nice. Try also a Meridian 105, also Yamaha did some excellent amps in the 80s and they go for loose change these days.

Sooner or later you're going to end up with a Naim in there though, because you'll want one that matches.

If it's a Naim amp you want then I would be patient and wait. Plenty of them out there - with a bit of luck you may get a good one. A nice NAP110 in good form should meet your hopes and won't bust the budget - one of my favourite Naim amps.

However, don't expect miracles from just anything you buy, particularly if buying blind without the chance of an audition. An old amp is an old amp and much could have happened to it since it shipped from the factory, not least the ravages of age and use. Last year I bought a NAP160 which was superficially in superb condition and most importantly the inside looked like it hadn't been messed with. However, it sounded truly dire - flat, insipid, lacking any excitement, and obviously in need of a service. If that had been my first experience of old Naim I would have been bitterly disappointed and wondered what the fuss was all about. Luckily I had bought it with eyes open and with a view to having it serviced anyway so it was in no way a disaster, but worth bearing in mind whatever you consider. It's now back from NAIM and sounding like a totally different amp.

I agree with the previous post. If it's an old Naim amp then check when it was last serviced and if it hasn't been touched for 10 years or more then either send it back to Naim or send it to Class A for a full Naim Spec service. You'll be very happy I'm sure.

Get a 110 then when funds allow another and run them as monoblocks. This is what I use and have no desire to change. There is a pfmr who uses such a combo with Obelisks! I had an olive 250 before but hankered after the 110 sound.

I agree, the 110 is a sweet little amp, very airy sound and excels in the boogie factor.

The peach though has to be the 160.

A seriously under rated amp is the Quad 306, no idea whether this would work with a Naim pre.

Of the Naims I've tried the NAP90 was just OK, the 140 very good, and the 180 like the 140 but with a meatier bass. But these were experiences with single amps so there may be variations between particular examples.
I also tried my NAC72, which is very similar to your 32.5, into a DIY "Gainclone" made with LM3886 chips and it sounded excellent.
The total cost of the "Gainclone" was about £150, plus many hours of labour and shopping around for bits. The trouble is, you can't sell it.
A Naim amp, on the other hand, you can sell on very easily anytime (except for the 90, perhaps...). A decent 140 should cost around £350-400 and will keep is value for ever.

How would I run a pair of 110s as mono blocks, just querying out of interest? General consensus is for me to be patient, not my strongest virtue.

How would I run a pair of 110s as mono blocks, just querying out of interest? General consensus is for me to be patient, not my strongest virtue.

Mark Slade at Witch Hat Audio could mod them for that purpose; I have heard 110 monos, they take quite a lot of beating.

Mignun's comments re service and general state of these old amps is worth noting.

Glad you're liking the old stuff, proper JV Naim!

Cheers,

Mark

For my monoblocked 160's, I had 2 power amps serviced to identical specs. Mark Slade showed me which wires to pull out (which go back in later v easily if you want stereo amps again). I got a 'y' splitter cable to feed both amps. I'm not sure what the interconnect implications are for an 'avondaled' power supply has implications, but someone here surely will be able to tell you what cables you need...

The chances of you finding two suitably matching 110s or 160s at the same time are slim, so realistically you'll be looking at servicing one power amp and monoblocking later I reckon when the second one comes along. So best to have the first one serviced in a way that the second one can match...

Ah. Sorry, didn't see a budget! Heard a pair of active 50s sounding very fine with a 32.5.

[Long-term aim for the OP]

I agree monoblocked 160s would probably be better, however I'd have to find out and doubt it. It is more likely, if my upgradeitus is triggered, I'd go the ATC active route. My guess It is the end of the upgrade road.

advertisement

Back