advertisement

Alternative to spikes on carpet for speaker stands.

Lee T

pfm Member
I have used spike to concrete floor for speaker stands for many years, there are benefits, stability etc but also downsides, especially in my room where the thought of moving them causes far to many problems getting them set in place again. Levelling through my thick carpet is a nightmare so they basically stay put, whatever speaker is placed upon them.

I was wondering if anyone is using an alternative, something that sits on the carpet but offers decent stability. My stands are light & rigid, 2 sets, a pair of Sounstyle Z2 metal stands & a pair of Hifiracks podium slimline Oak stands.

I found these but at £15 a pop it will knock me back £120 for 8.
Alternativehttps://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/threaded-stud-glider?variant=12651505745975

I've used M6 or M8 threaded self levelling/swivelling feet that cost about £20 for a set of 8.
Sorry - can't remember where from but those you have identified are a bit prettier.

I have spikes at the bottom of my 'speakers, as stock (Usher V-604). Originally used on a carpet, which sits on a concrete floor. I now use a piece of mdf (~2 feet square and 27mm thick, veneered) under them, and can report that the sound has cleaned up, especially the bass. The secret is to get the spikes to sink into the mdf as far as possible. The carpet damps the mdf, which gives excellent stability to the 'speakers. HTH

I've used M6 or M8 threaded self levelling/swivelling feet that cost about £20 for a set of 8.
Sorry - can't remember where from but those you have identified are a bit prettier.
That's a pity, these sound ideal.

I have spikes at the bottom of my 'speakers, as stock (Usher V-604). Originally used on a carpet, which sits on a concrete floor. I now use a piece of mdf (~2 feet square) under them, and can report that the sound has cleaned up, especially the bass. The secret is to get the spikes to sink into the mdf as far as possible. The carpet damps the mdf, which gives excellent stability to the 'speakers. HTH
I have a couple of slabs of Oak, maybe i could give this a try.

I have some granite slabs that the stands sit on with spikes in cups for stability. Good isolation and nice tight bass. Mind you the stands are very very heavy filled Atacama ones.

oak would provide a little more damping (which is good) if not treated. Maybe, if oiled, the oak could provide even more damping (which is even better!). But granite has very very little damping. Can't see the point (sorry!)

In the US but might be available here:

oak would provide a little more damping (which is good) if not treated. Maybe, if oiled, the oak could provide even more damping (which is even better!). But granite has very very little damping. Can't see the point (sorry!)

Something like this. They do sound good. Very heavy and dont vibrate.

From the inexpensive stuff I prefer Soundcare closed spikes that work well on a variety of floors. Level above are Stack audio AUVA

Another vote for Soundcare superspikes as they integrate the spike into a 'shoe' which saves making a hole (albeit temporary) in the carpet. Another cheaper choice would be to put metal spike shoes under your spikes but these are harder to slide in tandem across a carpet than the superspikes...

Something like this. They do sound good. Very heavy and don't vibrate.
It is very well known scientifically, that mass does not damp. So it doesn't matter how massive they are, they won't add (or take away) anything from the loudspeakers.

I have big floor standing loudspeakers, made of mdf, unfortunately. On top of these speakers are two 8mm thick marble tiles. Although I cannot feel any vibrations (with my hand) on the sides or top of the loudspeaker without the tiles, when I replace the tiles, I can feel vibrations.

Not only do ceramics not damp, because they have very little damping ability, they actually magnify vibrations. In the case of marble, they magnify the amplitude of the vibrations nearly 80 times.

These are worth a punt.
Washing machine anti- vibration feet.
They are two-piece items, one part rubber, one part hard polypropylene (or similar)

I have them under a granite slab, but my Daughter uses them with her spiked feet floorstanders.
£9.99 for four feet.
Tony L. Link

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Recently purchased a set of Stack Audio AUVA 50’s that replace the standard spikes on my Atacama SLX 400 stands filled two thirds with Atabytes. They support a pair of Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers. I personally used the 15mm spikes on the underside of the AUVA’s via a carpeted floor with underlay onto the concrete screed below. They can also be used with 25mm spikes or used without spikes entirely.
Having considered several critic’s review of them, I can honestly say they do reflect all of what is said regarding performance improvement about them. Furthermore the speakers are now far more rigid and stable sitting on 3 spikes for each of the Auva feet rather than just one.
I can also confirm that any vibration felt through the floor is now hardly noticeable.
Hope that helps…

advertisement

Back