advertisement

Alternative Amp for Isobariks

spamnap

pfm Member
I have a nice pair of late model Briks which I drive with Naim nac202 & nap200 Hicap Snapsc. Recently I bought a Beresford Caiman DAC which has made my Naim CD5i redundant as the sound from PC is so good. I am wondering if anyone uses an integrated amp to drive Briks successfully. The plan being to replace five Naim boxes with one new one. Any suggestions?

Could you not use the pre-out from the Beresford and just go for a power amp. A Klout would be a good choice (I am biased though)

CJ

If using one source only, try the Lejonklou Kikkin preamp, would only take up one shelf aside a Klout amp

buy an lk1 and 3 lk280's with an aktive xover, you should still have change left over.

Rgds
Stuart

... The plan being to replace five Naim boxes with one new one. Any suggestions?
Clearly the last three posters missed this objective.

I'd suggest a Densen B-150. It's got more muscle than a pair of NAP135s, more style than Krell, and is more affordable than either.

James

James, clearly the original poster doesn't know how much power you need to drive Briks properly.

James,
This was the amp I was most interested in so I'm pleased that someone else considers it as a good choice - now my problem is gonna be auditioning it.

Just for the record, I hink my 202/200 combo is fabulous in my room 4.5 X 4mtrs. Occasionally loses it a bit with bass. Just curiosity getting the better of me, wondering if Briks can be better with more power but not costing an arm and leg. :)

Krell ksa100... had one for many years into early briks then latterly external crossover in stand late models...used to send naims home to mummy wringing out the wee wee.

The Caiman DAC has its own volume control and can act as a preamp therefore only a power amp is required i.e. DAC=>PA.

I do exactly this with my Weiss DAC.

Experience has taught me that a more powerful amp will get a much more dynamic and realistic performance out of speakers. So I would recommend that the OP looks at replacing the Naim gear with a single powerful amp. Second hand this will set you back about £1200-2600 depending on how you go about it.

Some examples Meridian 559(I have these)/Dynavector HX1.2/Bryston/Passlabs etc and will come within the above budget. The 559 for example can deliver 500wpc into 4 Ohms and 150A into 1 Ohm so would be 'ticking-over' whilst driving the Bricks hard.

Cheers,

DV

For a while I ran my Briks with a 300b push pull valve integrated. Really nice midrange. Bass was rather woolly though.

I suspect that something like the DIY monster 211 SET amp that put in a star appearance at the North London Halloween bake-off would have no trouble controlling the bass of the Briks whilst also having a confident, clear and bold midrange and treble.

For a while I ran my Briks with a 300b push pull valve integrated. Really nice midrange. Bass was rather woolly though.

I suspect that something like the DIY monster 211 SET amp that put in a star appearance at the North London Halloween bake-off would have no trouble controlling the bass of the Briks whilst also having a confident, clear and bold midrange and treble.

The Briks have two woofers in parallel and those need a low output impedance amp to tightly control the back EMF in such a configuration. Also some umph as this combination leads to a nominal 4Ohms. If you don't have this then you will get your 'woolly bass'.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back