advertisement

Altec 19

joel

Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors
I heard a pair today. Stunning. If they weren't so goddamn huge, I'd be listening to them at home now!

h3Rkt2moBVuiPRh6Hf2SqTJF2G30.jpg

My, that would be a big change from the C7. Maybe you have a better idea about what was missing for me in their sound than you thought.

Originally posted by Markus Sauer
Maybe you have a better idea about what was missing for me in their sound than you thought.
No. I understand very well what the Harbs do and don't do. I can live with the Harbs.
If I was space-rich, I'd consider a pair as a serious proposition, but I'm not and I suspect they'd require an awful lot of work for me to be able to live with them (though less than other Altecs).

Originally posted by bottleneck

They use the same sectional horn and bass unit as my valencias, although the compression driver is different.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the link. If the driver componant really is essentially the same, I would seriously consider an A20 or a Sugeden A21 ) as a power amp.
I would also consider investing in some decent analogue EQ, even if that is not exactly a popular "audiophile" approach.
We were playing "classic" 70s rock (mostly Zep), and if those albums weren't mastered on 19s they were done on something *very* close. Marvellous, and much better treble than the 604s I listen to every day at the office :)

Very nice!

I'm very intrigued by the large monitor JBLs and Altecs which I often see in Japanese jazz cafes and cd/lp shops. The sound has tremendous live presence -- reminds me of the sound in clubs.

Often wonder how they would compare with my DBLs in a home environment. Having owned DBLs, I can't live with anything but a full range speaker. Unfortunately (or fortunately!) they are not available where I live or else my DBLs may have to go. Probably save me lots of money too in the switch.

Contrary to the purists, I agree a good EQ'g device is mandatory. After all, a lot of music is heavily EQ'd anyway, so I don't see anything wrong in having the ability to 'undo' any bad EQ.

Rgds,

Originally posted by hockman
I'm very intrigued by the large monitor JBLs and Altecs which I often see in Japanese jazz cafes and cd/lp shops. The sound has tremendous live presence -- reminds me of the sound in clubs.
That's the sound you get. Of course at home you can set them up in a better listening environment... Big can work in small spaces. THe JBLS, even the big ones, are IME less good at filling big spaces than Altecs. OTOH, the Altecs can do small spaces. I guess I have a preference...

Often wonder how they would compare with my DBLs in a home environment. Having owned DBLs, I can't live with anything but a full range speaker. Unfortunately (or fortunately!) they are not available where I live or else my DBLs may have to go. Probably save me lots of money too in the switch.
I'm no fan of Naim speakers, I'm afraid. The Altec spec claims 30Hz~20kHz.
I'm pretty sure you could find something if you looked. Repair and servicing can be expensive, though.

I don't see anything wrong in having the ability to 'undo' any bad EQ.
Agreed. And it's useful to have with speakers that use compression drivers IME, but YMMV. The Altec 19 uses the last and I guess greatest Altec compression driver generation with the "Tangerine" phase plug, and seems on brief acquaintance to have far fewer problems (at least on 70s era heavy rock).
If I ever got a pair, I would be interest in going high-tech with Tact or the Accuphase EQ/Xover system and amplification. I'm not interested in vintage distortion - unless it's from a guitar amp.

Originally posted by joel
I'm no fan of Naim speakers, I'm afraid. The Altec spec claims 30Hz~20kHz.
I'm pretty sure you could find something if you looked. Repair and servicing can be expensive, though.

I got my DBLs during my Naim worship days when I pretty much dismissed stuff outside the Naim route. I have since sold off most of my Naim boxes as I find that at the 552/300/500 level, there are better alternatives at lower cost. I have doubts that if i had to start over, I might end up with DBLs. I still like them but I think you can do as well or better with lesser expense and amplification (e.g. I don't think one should run DBLs with anything less than a 6 pack or 500).

But my tendency these days is to stick with what I have rather than changing gear again unless something breaks, as I find it usually distracts me from the music.

Rgds

Originally posted by hockman

But my tendency these days is to stick with what I have rather than changing gear again unless something breaks, as I find it usually distracts me from the music.
This I understand very well. I find changes to be annoying more than anything for the most part. Hence my attempts at changing from the DV17 Karat have all ended with... the DV Karat back in place.
The Altecs did sound pretty bloody special, though :D

Joel:

I've just come back from my annual pilgrimage to Tokyo and remembered this thread. I am really intrigued by the JBL 4312s I see in all the Disk Unions. Love the sound.

Am now really curious because I've discovered that JBLs still make a version of the 4312s which go for about $1k. How do these rate in your opinion? Might be a good time to ditch my DBLs and take the savings and spend them on a pile of King/Toshiba Blue Notes (probably can get the entire catalog given the potential savings)!

Rgds

Hock

P/S: Latest score:- TOshiba pressing of Bobby Hutcherson's Happenings to replace my awful japanese RVG cd copy.

Thanks for the review but I don't really take the audio press seriously.

In fact, I consider most highly regarded hi fi to be overrated and a waste of money and time including my DBLs (at the asking price).

If I had to start over again, I'll probably end up with a system around Klipschs or JBLs or Altecs with an equalizer!

What I am interested in is Joel's (& others') opinion.

I have doubts about the current 4312. THe tweeter is, I think, JBL's el-cheapo titanium job, which while OK, is not IMO good enough for really serious listening.
The more expensive 4318 may be worth a try, but I think JBL only really gets interesting rather further up the ladder (the good news is that little power - and no bi/tri amping required)...
A sh pair of 4312s may be worth a punt for "fun", but don't ditch your DBLs for them (and I *never* thought I'd say that!).
Nice BN catch. Disc Union?

Edited to add:
By all means try a pair, but be really sure before you make a final decision!

Thanks, guys.

Trying is going to be difficult but I'll be on the look out. Power is not an issue; I have a pair of FM Acoustics 111 monoblocks which will pretty much drive anything except the most difficult loads.

Nearly sold off my DBLs recently when the foam surround of one bass driver crumbled to pieces. BUt my dealer managed to salvage the driver with a DIY job. Anyway, I really should not be dicking around with my hifi.

Got the LP from Disk Union alright, but can't remember which one. Kichijohji perhaps. ;o)

hockman said:
Got the LP from Disk Union alright, but can't remember which one. Kichijohji perhaps. ;o)
Kichijoji Disk Union is my local store. There's somewhere even better in deepest Mitaka...

FI980154_0E.jpg

Hmm! Living, Breathing and over here! Well tomorrow anyway. Photos and thoughts to follow for those interested.

advertisement

Back