advertisement

Alphason HR-100S

matt j

pfm Member
Recently picked up a well priced LP12 that needs some fettling with a HR-100S fitted, one issue is the arm lift won't stay up, or more accurately it stays up for a short period of time and slowly works it's way to the point gravity takes over and then fully drops, any idea how to sort it?

Another question is regarding cart alignment, as you can see from the pic the cart is shoved right back in the headshell, does that seem right? I've double and triple checked alignment and it's as close as makes no difference to being spot on at both null points, it just seems rather a long way back.

Initial impressions are positive, although there is a LOT more LP12 character evident with this one than my previous one, to the point that it's almost a little OTT in the bass/mid bass, although it isn't running it's best as yet so I'll leave off commenting further for now. I'm going to pick up an SME board for it so I can try the 774 as I've a feeling it will be a good pairing.

Superb arm

Alignment doesn’t look right to me.

Send it to Johnny at Audio Origarmi he will sort any faults on Alphason.

Is the hole in the armboard in the right place? Should be std. Linn geometry.

What's the spec of the LP12?

Std sub chassis? Are the little screws that hold the armboard all in place, and 'just tight enough'... I think that's how they are supposed to be.

Alignment doesn’t look right to me.

In what sense? It lines up with a dual null point protractor and completely follows an arc protractor.

I will send it somewhere if it needs it, but the bearings feel fine and I can rewire it myself should it need it. I hope I can sort the arm lift with some advice on the issue

Pivot to spindle distance measures correct, I've no reason to doubt the hole is in the right place. I've not been inside it yet so can't comment on anything else yet.

Just interested in the spec/ build of the new LP12.

1st thing I would do would be to remove that baseboard and swap the feet for 4 off 3m bump on hard plastic ones.

The arm will be fine, perhaps the lift's damping fluid has escaped.

Sorry Dan, wrong quote inserted, bloody useless posting from a poxy phone!

Cheers, will look at the things you mention.

Alignment is strange unless pivot to spindle is wrong? What are you using? With Baerwald I’d expect cartridge slightly twisted towards spindle...and a lot further forward!

Baerwald. Overhang of 18mm, lines up on both points and follows the arc all the way past the spindle. Pivot to spindle of 211mm according to my measurements. Unless it's just because the Benz has a very pronounced stylus requiring the cart to be mounted so far back?

Any ideas as to what causes the arm lift to fall on it's own? it actually drops nice and slow for actual cueing, it's just that it wont stay up!

Just interested in the spec/ build of the new LP12.

1st thing I would do would be to remove that baseboard and swap the feet for 4 off 3m bump on hard plastic ones.

The arm will be fine, perhaps the lift's damping fluid has escaped.

Is removing the baseboard a common thing then with these? Seems a cheap and easy mod, any link to the 3M feet you mean? They seem to do a million!

I think every sprung turntable that has a baseboard will probably sound better without it. Same will apply to the Thorens

I use a Xenon on an LP12 and find that as the arm tube intersects the head shell section at an angle, when adjusting arm height so the head shell is parallel to the platter the arm bearing housing is too high for the linn lid.

I use a Xenon on an LP12 and find that as the arm tube intersects the head shell section at an angle, when adjusting arm height so the head shell is parallel to the platter the arm bearing housing is too high for the linn lid.

Yes this one has a mark on the lid where it has been rubbing the top of the gimbal. I've slid the lid out of the hinges about 10mm to compensate.

It was running a bit slow when I got it, so it's had a new belt and I've tweaked the VTA and we're cooking with gas now.

When I was running my old LP12 on a sideboard I used to sit it on a 20mm slab of Acrylic from ebay, same dimensions as the TT plinth. It was isolated from the sideboard by 4 off 5mm slices of wine cork, best compromise that I managed to find.

advertisement

Back