advertisement

All that glitters

Wiz

Well not glittering, just black really, but three boxes instead of one. I'm talking about the new to me Cambridge pre and mono-blocks that I've finally got fixed up and working. Having convinced myself for some while that I must upgrade my 20+ year old B200. And when I first get them going I think blimey, that's amazing. Bass goes deeper, treble goes higher, and I can hear all the seperate bits really clear. Rock stuff in particular sounds really good. But then I start to feel wrong about it. There's something missing, and with classical stuff its a bit like being assaulted - in fact eveything is thrusting out into the room, its an edge of your seat kind of thing. Not relaxing. And faults seem to be exagerated.

In short, I don't think I like it, although it clearly "performs" better in many respects. But having now gone back to my old MF B200, I just feel more at home with its more recessed, laid back, but also more organic sound.

What does this mean? Am I just wedded to the devil I know? Do I not really like hifi? Or have I just chosen the wrong kind of amp?

Any thoughts appreciated:rolleyes:

It could be in need of a service, it could be kit and/or cable positioning, it could be that the changed kit highlights issues that the older (simpler) on didn't, or it could be a number of other factors.
In the end though your ears are telling you something...
:(

advertisement

Back