advertisement

All season tyres

Winter tyres in winter for us, 4x4 without winter tyres could not get up our very steep hill. Uncle in Scotland swears by winter tyres, he has proper weather.
Reminds me of a former boss who owned an X5 and swore that 4WD removed the need for winter tyres. Then one night, on a slippery Chur-Zürich Autobahn, the back end of the thing decided that it wanted to see what the world looked like to the front end. Fortunately there was nobody else around and he hit nothing. After changing his trousers, he changed his mind about the value of winter tyres.

Personally I find it easier to have a separate set of smaller/worthless alloys with winter tyres on for my daily BMW 530i; rather than all season tyres

For example; I currently have on 18" staggered sized alloys with Nexen N'Fera SU1 tyres on the car, they'll be changed later this week or Sunday onwards to the standard 16" alloys and Michelin Alpin A4 tyres in readiness for winter and our yearly jaunt up to Dunkeld in Feb :)
I have a double dilemma. The smallest wheels that can be fitted to my car are 18" in diameter. That's because it has big-ass brakes. 18" wheels that are worthless also tend to be roadworthy-less, so that's a no go for me. The other small point is winter tyres are harder to come by in 18" or 19" sizes, especially in OEM spec low profiles.

Thankfully, I live in a temperate climate where it hardly snows and ambient temperatures don't go much below freezing during winter. I get away with full-on summer tyres year round, but take extra care to give them time to warm up before applying full juice. I've thought about equipping my spare car, a Subaru AWD Legacy, with winter tyres just for the occasional skiing excursion, but realised that even the road up the mountain is generally well graded/cleared of snow and ice for easy access.

If you live anywhere that gets a reasonable amount of snow, winter tyres are a no-brainer. Before I got them driving in the snow was a white knuckle experience. Highly stressful. Winter tyres are much safer than summer or all season tyres when the temperature drops below 7 celsius. In my part of the world there are fines for those that don't have/use them in the snow.

I have a double dilemma. The smallest wheels that can be fitted to my car are 18" in diameter. That's because it has big-ass brakes. 18" wheels that are worthless also tend to be roadworthy-less, so that's a no go for me. The other small point is winter tyres are harder to come by in 18" or 19" sizes, especially in OEM spec low profiles.

Thankfully, I live in a temperate climate where it hardly snows and ambient temperatures don't go much below freezing during winter. I get away with full-on summer tyres year round, but take extra care to give them time to warm up before applying full juice. I've thought about equipping my spare car, a Subaru AWD Legacy, with winter tyres just for the occasional skiing excursion, but realised that even the road up the mountain is generally well graded/cleared of snow and ice for easy access.

My 530i has fairly large brakes, but the 16's, with 10mm spacers, clear just fine. Not sure if you're able to look into the same?

My E60 M5 doesn't come out over winter, but it had to 2 winters ago and I found a set of 18's that fitted it and got winter tyres for them via Camskill. The tyres are out there to be found, it's just doing the digging! Tyreleader and Camskill are generally the best I find. Pricey though!

If you live anywhere that gets a reasonable amount of snow, winter tyres are a no-brainer. Before I got them driving in the snow was a white knuckle experience. Highly stressful. Winter tyres are much safer than summer or all season tyres when the temperature drops below 7 celsius. In my part of the world there are fines for those that don't have/use them in the snow.

See; it's not just the snow for me, but for all the standing water that is always present on the country lanes I drive up and down, daily, to training and back

It does get cold here and it does get wet/wintery over winter (no matter how much people blart on about it being mild) and I'd like the peace of mind that I've got tyres on that are designed to work in temps 7ºC and below; that are designed to work so much better with standing water conditions and also are there for when we trek up to Dunkeld. It's always cold and snowy up there off the A9 and more so if we trek that bit further north on a day out or a distillery trip etc (we generally go up to the Cairngorms for a day, House of Bruar, Pitlochry etc)

See; it's not just the snow for me, but for all the standing water that is always present on the country lanes I drive up and down, daily, to training and back

It does get cold here and it does get wet/wintery over winter (no matter how much people blart on about it being mild) and I'd like the peace of mind that I've got tyres on that are designed to work in temps 7ºC and below; that are designed to work so much better with standing water conditions and also are there for when we trek up to Dunkeld. It's always cold and snowy up there off the A9 and more so if we trek that bit further north on a day out or a distillery trip etc (we generally go up to the Cairngorms for a day, House of Bruar, Pitlochry etc)

That's a really good point about standing water. The Continental Winter tyres I have been using, but have yet to fit this year, are fantastic in wet/cold conditions. It's reassuring on wet motorways and A roads as well as rural roads knowing how well your tyres cope with standing water which would float your average standard (Summer) tyres.

This is one of the reasons I raised the question about all season tyres as my experience of Winter tyres has convinced me that they are the business when it gets colder BUT our weather fluctuates so much that I might be better off with all season and save myself the faff of swapping wheels. So far it seems that the Michelin all season is the favorite here as it seems to suit the UK climate better. In the tests I have been looking at the Goodyear and the Continental all season offering also come out well. Its still warm enough at the moment to ponder this a little longer.

That's a really good point about standing water. The Continental Winter tyres I have been using, but have yet to fit this year, are fantastic in wet/cold conditions. It's reassuring on wet motorways and A roads as well as rural roads knowing how well your tyres cope with standing water which would float your average standard (Summer) tyres.

This is one of the reasons I raised the question about all season tyres as my experience of Winter tyres has convinced me that they are the business when it gets colder BUT our weather fluctuates so much that I might be better off with all season and save myself the faff of swapping wheels. So far it seems that the Michelin all season is the favorite here as it seems to suit the UK climate better. In the tests I have been looking at the Goodyear and the Continental all season offering also come out well. Its still warm enough at the moment to ponder this a little longer.

It's something that a lot of people forget and once it's added into a for/against re winter tyres; they all of a sudden seem to make a lot more sense!

I've Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tyres on my 18" alloys for my daily 530i and Advan A048s on my 19" alloys for my E60 M5 and both, in the dry and especially the Vreds for a daily car, are superb for sticking to the tarmac... But, come the colder weather, the Vreds get hard and you can feel that; not as grippy in bends and more noise on the m'ways etc... That's my signal for sticking my winter alloys & tyres on

Plus we've had 3 weekends and Monday's in a row now where the temps dropped to c-4ºC and it's been very cold and frosty and the followed by a few days of rain... All in, not great conditions for a heavy RWD car with summer tyres on ;)

A winter tyre would spoil the fun, surely?
If "fun" = "babbling in abject terror while the world revolves uncontrollably around you", yes. Someone on here (on a previous thread) said, that "all you need is a feel for the road". He apparently had never been in one of these situations where road feel vanishes completely.

We live in a pretty remote part of Cumbria and the best car I had for snow was a Peugeot Partner with winter tyres. It was high up and light. We later had a Volvo XC 90 on whatever Volvo fit and that was unnerving in snow you felt like if it started to slide it would never stop! Best of all is some front wheel drive euro hatch worth about £300 with snow chains!

Interesting reading peoples thoughts on seasonal tyres, I fully believe in them but my reservation is similar to my reservation with some 4x4 drivers, i.e. they read all this "handles better", "grips in the corners in snow" and other similar statements and think they are invincible in all conditions due to the 4 bits of magic rubber with which their wheels are shod.

I know I'm probably preaching to a lot of guys on here who've already done it but tuition with a pro, driver is to my mind as good if not better in some cases than switching rubber.

Not being a driving God I was languishing in the Northern Sprint championship a few years back having not won a pot, albeit being my first season competing.
I'd driven my car to most circuits by the way in sometimes foul conditions to various parts of the country to compete, often facing rain, hail,sleet on the M62 armed with a car shod with semi slick/road legal tyres.

Again, not being a driving God I always put caution before valor and acted sensibly, often passing 4x4's which had "fallen off"

Anyway, I booked in for my "lessons" with the Aintree Racing Drivers school but the day of the lesson it was total stair rods and black, truly awful with a track that would see F1 races red flagged.
I was asked if I wanted to go ahead with it and agreed it could be fun, although I was worried for the car.

I did the first few laps driving like a granny, with the instructor (James Pickford who went on to drive for SEAT in the BTCC) graciously saying "well done", polite guy he is.
He then took over and Jeez, I felt daft. The force of the cornering he was engaging in was bruising my hips as I was squashed between tunnel and door area, so aggressive and awe inspiring were those few laps it stuck with me, simply incredible on the tyres we were on. When I took over the wheel again after a debrief a lot of his advice came in to play concerning the terrible conditions and sure enough the times tumbled as his tuition was put in to action.

However, all was not plain sailing as on the very last session I decided to "really go for it", a big mistake.
I put a back wheel on a painted track edging slab and that was that, Jamie had warned repeatedly not to touch these and give them a wide berth, which I thought I had.
First time I'd ever had this sensation and I've vowed it'll be the last.
Car snapped in a millisecond, no chance of correction, no chance of determining which way it would depart the tarmac, just to use the old cliche "I was a passenger". It went backwards off the track and it honestly felt like no speed was being scrubbed off whatsoever as it hurtled backwards across the turf of the infield, bouncing violently as it did so. Car ended up almost on the other side of the circuit and needed a tow truck to get it out of the bog it stopped in.

What the hell would have happened if that was on a public road? That day has made me ever so careful on the roads now and Jame's advice is still with me.

In a Nutshell and my main point, over confidence caused the off, the same sort of over confidence that a 4x4 will give some people, and dare I say it seasonal correct tyres.

Don't get me wrong I am a believer in them and use them but they are not a passport to incident free motoring. I'm not saying any of you guys here think they are but some people will, that's a certainty.

In the wrong hands they can have the same effect as the little girl, lad or pensioner who do a year at Judo or Karate and then think they'll strike the pose and the mugger will run off.

An interesting anecdote and good advice from kennyh. I was warned about the dangers of over confidence re Winter tyres and I try to remember that you only have a few square inches of rubber on the tarmac at each corner.

If you live somewhere where you can expect proper snow and especially ice on the roads and you don't have the option of not driving (for example doing home office for the day) in the worst weather, I would put winter tyres on. If you on the other hand can expect some wet snow, mud/leaves or rain on cold roads at most then all-season tyres in good shape will do fine.

Cities can be worse that the countryside, because you often get the "polished" icy spots where there is a lot of traffic - and of course this happens at intersections where you least want them. Snow is much less of a problem usually as while it's slippery it's also usually equally slippery everywhere.

In Finland winter tyres are mandatory, if you don't have winter-approved tyres, you will be fined (and the police does check) so here the question is more about if you go with studded tyres or not. It might also mean I would be a bit over-cautious with tyres in the UK.

My winter tyres do give me confidence when the weather out there is foul; but by no means to I ever push the car

I've spun on both normal summer tyres and winter tyres doing very slow speeds due to black ice and it's bloody scary! Seeing a curb coming at you and knowing you can do nothing about it, really gets your adrenaline rushing!

My previous 7 series; I hit black ice doing just under 20mph; spun and stopped against a curb. Bent the front lower arm and snapped the rear drop link; replaced both that afternoon on the drive (limped it home etc). That was on summer tyres! Fortunately, didn't clip the alloys at all, no idea how!!!

Previous 530i; hit black ice as well running down a steep country lane doing under 15mph and using the 2nd gear on the autobox for braking, still, it spun and I managed to get it to come to a stop on a gravel siding; pebble dashed both alloys on that side and a few stone chips to the lower valences, but, they were winter alloys with winter tyres on! No other damage, but bloody scary... All I needed to do was quickly respray the alloys in the garage later that day and you'd never know anything happened!

I always say 4x4 just allows you to arrive at the accident faster. In really slippy conditions it doesn't help with braking or help you go round corners very much faster.

I had Michelin CrossClimates on the front of my last car. Never had much snow to try them properly but they seemed to be quite grippy on the few days we had snow. The tread pattern takes a good grip judging by what it did to the gravel on my drive. Definitely putting them on when my tyres need changing, I have just swapped tyres back to front so that they will wear out at the same time and I can fit a full set.

I’d say all season tyres are the best bet for a 2WD car and A/T’s for 4WD. The temperature fluctuations in the UK mean you could be swapping summer and winter tyres quite frequently.

There's no need to swap tyres frequently. Winter tyres still work well in temps in the teens. For many of us, from Monday to Friday we are on the road at this time of year when temps are lower than the daily max anyway. If I could be arsed I'd swap mine over this weekend.

My 530i has fairly large brakes, but the 16's, with 10mm spacers, clear just fine. Not sure if you're able to look into the same?
Not with 14.5" rotors. With OEM 19" wheels, there is just under an inch of clearance between the inner rim and calliper.

advertisement

Back