advertisement

All-in-one streamer/amp recommendations please

4 ohm is harder to drive than 8, due to more current draw, it would be around 45w into 8 Ohm I guess.............. There's nothing to worry about.
Makes a difference though as 45 to 90 would suggest very good current delivery but 70 into 90 wouldn't be as good. I'd guess likely around 60 to 90.

I think the linn stuff looks very appealing and good all in one solution particularly for the cost. I have never heard the linn majik dsm before, I understand they use class D amps which is no problem but would be interested in comparisons with their competitors. Out of interest I see it is 90 Watts into 8 ohms, does anyone know what the output into 4 ohms is?
We have a Majik DSM in our TV system (with Dynaudio Excites). It is really very good.

HTH

Iain.

I just took a Linn Kiko DSM system in part exchange. It has the same streaming features as any other Linn streamer and built in amplification. According to the documentation, it only works with the supplied speakers, but they are very clever. It includes four channels of amplification and a digital crossover for true active operation. Not bad for £1,000 (originally £2,500).

TheAuthor, how do you like your new system and what are your impressions about it so far?

I got a Linn Majik DSM, first generation one, some Linn Ninka speakers, with better plinths, REL Strata 5 sub, Linn K20 speaker cable and, I got a Rega P3 turntable with Elys cart.

I'm happy with this system. I did, in the past, have a Linn Majik DS, so I'm familiar with the way it sounds, but I had it with a Naim NAIT XS amp with Linn Sara speakers.

I find the Ninka speakers a trifle more 'modern' sounding in that they reveal a tad more than the Sara's, and the bass from the Ninkas is excellent, to the point that I was not convinced I actually needed the sub, but the latter helps out with older recordings where the bass was not so strong.

I slightly prefer the sound of the Naim amp to the amp built into the DSM, just a little warmer and 'richer' than the Linn amp.

Overall, I'm happy with it, considering the cost was not that expensive, in the grand scheme of things.

There’s a cracking NAD10 in the classifieds here. If I was in the market for a one box, Id jump on it. NAD stuff is top class at the moment.

I got a Linn Majik DSM, first generation one, some Linn Ninka speakers, with better plinths, REL Strata 5 sub, Linn K20 speaker cable and, I got a Rega P3 turntable with Elys cart.

I'm happy with this system. I did, in the past, have a Linn Majik DS, so I'm familiar with the way it sounds, but I had it with a Naim NAIT XS amp with Linn Sara speakers.

I find the Ninka speakers a trifle more 'modern' sounding in that they reveal a tad more than the Sara's, and the bass from the Ninkas is excellent, to the point that I was not convinced I actually needed the sub, but the latter helps out with older recordings where the bass was not so strong.

I slightly prefer the sound of the Naim amp to the amp built into the DSM, just a little warmer and 'richer' than the Linn amp.

Overall, I'm happy with it, considering the cost was not that expensive, in the grand scheme of things.

Great, enjoy it! I had two pairs of Ninka's, nice speakers but I never tried to run them as active.

I am also considering one box solution. Initially, I was looking at Naim Nova however I spent some time on their forum and there seem to be quite a few troublesome units out there to take a gamble on a used one, 4.2k is just too much for a new one (in my view anyway).
Not very keen on Nad, no headphone socket plus it will be hidden so won't benefit from the colourful display which I believe bulk of the money is spent on. Maybe the solution is to find an older Superuniti or Linn Majik DSM 1/2 at a reasonable price.

advertisement

Back