advertisement

Albums you just played for the first time in years

"Endtroducing" by DJ Shadow. I played this A LOT when it came out (1996!) and it blew my tiny in two ways - first, it is deeply trippy, and second, I had never heard such a soulful record created entirely from samples. It completely changed my ideas of what can be done with technology, Josh Davis is a genius, a virtuoso of the Akai. Then I didn't play it for a long time, in recent years I've dug it out, played it a few times, then put it away again for a while... So yesterday I played it, and again today, and it's still as fresh and powerful as the first time I heard it.

I've decided to start playing my records in alphabetical order to ensure that I listen to all of the albums in my collection - the way things were going I reckon a good chunk of it would have never have seen the light of day ever again. I'm also going to allow myself to play anything as and when the mood fits, but at least I'll be making a conscious, systematic effort to play all of it.

The last record I played was Blessed Are by Joan Baez and next up, barring a spontaneous alternative, is Baby James Harvest by Barclay James Harvest.

"Endtroducing" by DJ Shadow. I played this A LOT when it came out (1996!) and it blew my tiny in two ways - first, it is deeply trippy, and second, I had never heard such a soulful record created entirely from samples. It completely changed my ideas of what can be done with technology, Josh Davis is a genius, a virtuoso of the Akai. Then I didn't play it for a long time, in recent years I've dug it out, played it a few times, then put it away again for a while... So yesterday I played it, and again today, and it's still as fresh and powerful as the first time I heard it.

I’m going to give this a listen as it never landed with me at the time.

I bought this LP a couple of months ago. Bob Clearmountain says in a new interview with Beato that it's one of the best sounding records that he didn't mix (he did the later albums!) Don't Dream It's Over is one of those perfect songs (Tim Pierce played Guitar speaking of YT stars!)...

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Just dipping into this on Youtube - all very enjoyable. Thanks for mentioning them - all new stuff to me.

Since digging out ..Wonderful Life & watching that doco, I bought 'Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain' recently & really like it- I think it's similar'ish & as good an album.

I'm not quite so keen on the earlier faster rocky stuff, I think; I find the slower darker stuff best, mysterious, & he finds his own musical niche here IMO.

Btw There's another doco by a super-fan, who revisits ML's house many years later: it's interesting (if not revelatory) & rather poignant.

Capt

First time for many many years, most likely at least 20. Ricochet by Tangerine Dream.

It is based on edited live recordings from performances at Croydon's Fairfield Hall. Sequencers & synths abound, there's a little electric guitar, a short piano part, some electronic percussion all beautifully recorded with the live atmosphere and ambience of the hall preserved.

Very enjoyable throughout with for me Side 2 especially captivating.

Also the LP sounds amazingly good, detail is all there but it has that magic analogue sourced recordings could sometimes have.

Last edited:
First time for many many years, most likely at least 20. Ricochet by Tangerine Dream.

It is based on edited live recordings from performances at Croydon's Fairfield Hall. Sequencers & synths abound, there's a little electric guitar, a short piano part, some electronic percussion all beautifully recorded with the live atmosphere and ambience of the hall preserved.

Very enjoyable throughout with for me Side 2 especially captivating.

Also the LP sounds amazingly good, detail is all there but it has that magic analogie sourced recordings could sometimes have.

Ricochet is just immense and It's defo my favourite TD album for sure. My vinyl copy sounds superb as well, as does the digital copy I own. I can see me giving one of them a spin tonight ;)

It is based on edited live recordings from performances at Croydon's Fairfield Hall.

The first 90 seconds are Fairfield Hall, the rest is a studio recording.

Here is the full Croydon recording. It's a lot different.

Both are excellent but TD have a bit of history passing off studio concoctions as live.

Moon Pix by Cat Power....still works after not hearing it for 20 years. Kind of languid lo-fi fun for a rainy evening

advertisement

Back