advertisement

Akito on 401

Errol

pfm Member
On my 401 I have swapped my SME 3012 for an original Linn Akito that I had on my LP12, and surprise, surprise it sounds very good. The cartridge is a VMS 30 which is doing a much better job than my Bluepoint Mk II did on the arm. The main benefit is a large reduction in microphonics and a big gain in musical focus, in other words it's clearer and I hear what's going on a lot better. The only other reference to a Linn arm on a Garrard I can recall is Harmut, poster here mentioned thet the Ittok works well on a Garrard.
I am very pleased with the result so far.
Errol.

all you need to do now is put the lp12 back under the akito and the musical transformation will be complete!

Yes David, but in this case the transformation would be backwards, my well loved and well tuned LP12 is left along way down the track when replaced by the 401 with Akito and VMS30. I and a number of friends, are very surprised at this, we have all enjoyed the music from LP12's over the years but the well set up 401/301's we have been hearing over the last few months have lifted the enjoyment levels up to another plane. For little money and a lot of fun tweaking and upgrading ( most of the Garrards were gifts from friends or estates) the transformation you speak of has been back to an era when benefits from DIY was the norm, but never with results as outstanding as this. My 401 through a JJ Curcio kit pre, a well sorted Stereo 20 and ELS 57's (very well sorted) is just delightful.
To get the same musical response from modern equipment would cost me many thousands of dollars that I don't have.
My cup runneth over
Regards
Errol

all you need to do now is put the lp12 back under the akito and the musical transformation will be complete!

Now I'm not an LP12-basher at all, but a few years back a friend who had a Linn grew so sick of me banging on about my 301, that brought his LP12 round to mine for an evening's listening, and we swapped his Ittok/OC9 between the two decks.

Fast forward two weeks, and he'd sold the LP12 and bought a 401..........;)

advertisement

Back